Talk

Advanced search

To not particularly like the baby years?

(10 Posts)
minniemummy0 Mon 12-Feb-18 20:59:06

I’m a first time mother, and baby is four months old.

I’m rapidly starting to realise I don’t really like babies!!!! I love my baby, she really is the most adorable thing in the world. But I can’t wait for her to be a bit older! Every new thing she does she seems a victory. I just found the first three months awful. The horrible disappointment of feeling an awful failure as I couldn’t get breastfeeding to work, being stuck under her as she refused to nap anywhere but on me (lovely snuggles but it was impossible to even get a wee!). Never being able to get anything done. And to be honest... they don’t really do much except eat, wee, poo, sleep, repeat do they?

Everyone was massively interested in her when she was tiny. Now she is actually interesting to me (smiling, enjoying toys, books etc) developing in terms of learning to sit up, roll etc, no one is really interested. It’s newborns that everyone loves. I don’t mind, but she’s so much more interesting to me! And I have a feeling she’s only going to get more interesting.

It’s actually made me want to conceive another ASAP! I always knew I wanted two, but the thought of going through pregnancy, childbirth, and the first three months again fills me with dread. I can’t wait to get the baby years over and enjoy having a child (hopefully children!)

chaser90210 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:07:11

Well I could have written this post myself! Honestly, you seem to come out of a sort of fog. Like you said now they're much more interesting! Mine is now 8mo and I never get a moments peace now!
I think it was also a shock to the system as I had worked before hand and never had that much time off so it took me a while to adjust to that sort of loneliness.
Also I get what you mean about wanting another... I'm already cooking no 2!
Good luck x

Atticusss Mon 12-Feb-18 21:11:21

I find people are usually either baby or kid people. I'm a baby person for sure. Never ever bored of or frustrated with my babies under a year, but I struggle more and more the older they get. When they just ignore everything I say and tantrum and whine over nothing for years on end I yearn for the lovely sweet baby days. I've always been jealous of kid people. The baby phase is so short.

Silversun83 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:28:11

Definitely am the same! DD is now 21 months and even though physically it is a lot harder work and more tiring, it is so much more enjoyable now she is properly her own person. It is even better now she is starting to talk.. I find her speech development so fascinating!

Also agree with wanting to get the baby stage over and done with.. It happened a little bit sooner than we were expecting but I'm now 35 weeks pregnant with DC2.. Slightly panicking about two under two but keep telling myself that surely this is better than going back to it all again in another couple of years' time!

meredintofpandiculation Mon 12-Feb-18 21:48:34

Early baby days are awful - the best you can do is to get them to look mildly discontented. It gets a bit better when they smile. But for me, things started to look up when their conversation started to have some content, and wasn't just about what they wanted or didn't want.

Long time ago I read a theory that whatever bit of childhood was good for you, that was the bit you enjoyed most in your children. I don't think my mother was a baby person either.

Havana7 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:52:34

My baby is 6 months old now and I hate having to bag up more and more clothes that no longer fit her! I love babies but I am also excited to watch her grow and develop

LadyBundleBrent Mon 12-Feb-18 21:54:07

It got better from about 10 months and now at a year and a half is fab! Small babies are a bit rubbish and it's all drudge work imo. Love the naughtiness and fun of my toddler (even the tantrums!).

WTFIsThisVirus Mon 12-Feb-18 21:54:49

I felt the same way. My son is 19 months old now and this part, and his future development, is what I find exciting. It's also really nice not having to take the whole house with you on a trip to the shops!

munqch Mon 12-Feb-18 22:10:56

I have a very active 11 month old and I do find his development fascinating, love him more and more everyday and am charmed by his affection, his cheeky nature... BUT I did also absolutely love the newborn days and at times really miss those first 3 months. I found it so cosy.

Bluebubble123 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:20:08

I loved the baby years I find 6, 7,8,9 hard work! They loose their cuteness, talk all the time about shit! Never give you 5 mins peace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now