Talk

Advanced search

Some people are spatially challenged when it comes to stacking dishwashers and other washing up woes

(12 Posts)
tenpencemixup Mon 12-Feb-18 19:21:29

My inlaws for example. Fil doesn't think they clean properly. But that's because he can't /won't stack it using common sense. It's not like they have no experience of using one. Before they downsized to flat they had one in the family home. When they come to visit they will offer to clear up after we have cooked but we always end up having to unload it. I'd rather they didn't do it. Plates laid flat one on top of each other. Cutlery dumped in a massive bundle flat ontop of plates. Glasses turned on their side, bowls inside each other. I mean even if you didn't know exactly what each section was best suited for common sense would tell you that no matter how good a dishwasher you have it won't clean if the water can't get to it. I did try showing them how the racks separate the items so the water can flow but I honestly don't think they understand.

In the interest of fairness so you know that this isn't a inlaws bashing post I will explain that my mum has other similar problems with our dishwasher. Her top drawer fits her bowls, but our bowls are slightly too tall, as we have a cultery drawer above. Every time she tries to ram the bowls on the top shelf so that it jams.
She also has a habit of wanting to.wash up.a few items at a time to be helpful. Our dishwasher goes on every evening. We use enough stuff to warrant running it. if she wants to.do a job then the ironing pile is never ending! We don't own fine bone china or cut glass, everything is dishwasher proof, just stick it in. But she thinks it it's helpful to wash up. Except she won't use really hot water just tepid water and as we live in a hard water area it leaves all the pots with a greasy, scummy film on. So I have a half empty dishwasher that needs to go on so we have stuff clean for breakfast and a draining board full of stuff that needs to go in the dishwasher anyway.
Please add your tales.

Anymajordude Mon 12-Feb-18 19:28:48

I'm a fussy dishwasher stacker. When DH does it it gives me the rage. He puts small plates and bowls on the bottom so there's no room for big stuff and the top shelf doesn't get full. Everything has a place and you can fit loads in if you do it properly.

Iruka Mon 12-Feb-18 19:34:38

theoatmeal.com/comics/dishwasher grin

readysteadyteddy Mon 12-Feb-18 19:37:50

I swear that DH thinks a dishwasher cleans like a microwave cooks with some mysterious cleaning wave that can penetrate everything. Bowls inside each other, plates stuck together, tall things hitting the spinners so they don't spin... I always have to reorganise and put it on again after him.

(However, shouldn't complain because when I once put a cafetiere in upside down before I realised I still had the unused dry coffee in the bottom, scooped as much out as I could and then ran it thinking it would clear... and it just turned into a huuuuge percolator, DH painstakingly cleaned it all including the filter which was clogged with the tiny grains.)

TheHobbyKing Mon 12-Feb-18 19:39:22

I am also a fussy dishwasher loader. The way DH loads it annoys me and I re do it. He just doesn’t utilise space! He would disagree.

NotCitrus Mon 12-Feb-18 22:07:57

MrNC is just about trained after 15 years - the dishwasher runs effectively even though I could have got 25% more in and sorted the cutlery to make it feasible to empty in under 2 minutes.

Lodger has no other faults and is getting slowly to the 'effective dishwashing' stage.

I'm loath to criticise our au pair as she is wonderful in every other way with the kids and it took a few goes to find her, but oh I have to grit my teeth...

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Mon 12-Feb-18 22:20:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RoseyOldCrow Mon 12-Feb-18 22:31:19

It really bugs me when DH leaves obvious gaps that could so easily be filled with another item & especially when he simultaneously stacks crockery so closely that it'll never get clean.
But I am in awe of the incompetence of others, especially the PIL above!

On another note, SexLubeAndAFishSlice yours must be one of the top 10 MN names of all time! Right up there with AnyFucker & ChristinaYangsTwistedSister

MsHomeSlice Mon 12-Feb-18 22:44:04

dh shoves it all in willy nilly...drives me mad

I like it stacked with all the same things together, height descending from left to right/front to back

He won't use the height, so small rectangular tupperware....he will lay that flat, in the top rack and maybe get 4 in...if you angle/stack them then 4 will fit in the space of one.

I am working on him though because he does mostly now presort the cutlery...eight sections in the basket so teaspoons, spoons, knives, forks in the centre four leaving the two outer pairs for other things. He prefers to use the same four on the same side, but this means the damned thing is not stable so he is not allowed to do that. hmm
If I find the cutlery basket in disarray I make it HIS job to sort it

HildaZelda Mon 12-Feb-18 22:49:17

Ok, I'll put my hands up. I am UNBEARABLY fussy when it comes to the dishwasher. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING has a particular spot and despite telling and showing DH until I'm blue in the face, it just doesn't seem to sink in. But then again he rarely empties it, so why would he be bothered about the way it's filled angry

Anyway, bottom shelf, dinner plates go on the back right, side plates go on the front right. Pots and pans go on the back left, dishes and bowls on the front left.
Cutlery basket - 2 sets of cutlery, red on right, green on left. From back to front: forks, dessert spoons, knives, teaspoons.
Top shelf, glasses go on the right from big at the back to small at the front. Tall glasses go on the left and ramekins etc go behind them. Cups go in the middle handles pointing in . Wooden spoons, fish slice, ladles etc go beside them.

I can unpack it and have everything back where it goes in under a minute.

Thursdaydreaming Tue 13-Feb-18 04:55:43

My DH washes up cups and places them in the drying rack stacked and right side up confused. The mind boggles.

echt Tue 13-Feb-18 06:26:22

My late DH was of the cram-a-shitload-in school of stacking. So the stuff that doesn't get cleaned has baked-on crap. Yay.

Oh, and "rinsing" stuff instead of just putting it in the washer. Imperfectly because of his shit eyesight, so it has to be done again.

I get to stack my dishwasher perfectly now.grinsad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: