Talk

Advanced search

Just seen engagement ring in joint amazon account..... AIBU?????

(112 Posts)
WhoAteMyCandy Mon 12-Feb-18 16:57:18

As the title says the bf has ordered a engagement ring off of amazon. AIBU to think hes put no thought into it?? I think he has forgotten its valentines day soon and buying a ring is the first idea that popped into his head. Its a very over priced cheap looking ring , that that I would expect or even want a expensive one. I know that he want to get married at some point but ive never personally wanted to get married. We have been together nearly five years and have a son who is close to turning four.

Tbf I would rather have a baby than a wedding grin

MyBrilliantDisguise Mon 12-Feb-18 16:58:35

Just delete it grin

MyBrilliantDisguise Mon 12-Feb-18 16:59:00

Sorry, I thought he had it in a wish list or something. Is it too late to cancel the order?

teaandtoast Mon 12-Feb-18 17:01:39

Could just be a dress ring as a Valentine's present?

cate16 Mon 12-Feb-18 17:01:49

Maybe it's just a cheap 'token' for a element of surprise ? Then a proper one chooses by you?

wink1970 Mon 12-Feb-18 17:09:53

might be his way of proposing, putting it in there?

Passmethecakeplease Mon 12-Feb-18 17:21:27

If you really don't want to get married you need to quickly drop in to convo how you don't want that. Say something jovial like 'please don't even think about proposing on vals day, I'd kill you' etc etc.

RosyPrimroseface Mon 12-Feb-18 17:24:16

don't have a baby without getting married.

pisacake Mon 12-Feb-18 17:25:41

um, link to the ring??????

WhoAteMyCandy Mon 12-Feb-18 17:25:42

I sent him a message and he has cancelled it. He said he thought I might of liked it... hmm. Thanks for all of your replies.

Passmethecakeplease Mon 12-Feb-18 17:27:08

don't have a baby without getting married

Not a very helpful comment when the OP already has a (nearly) 4 year old son.

WhoAteMyCandy Mon 12-Feb-18 17:27:15

Don't have a baby before getting married?? Opps too late!!!!!

Littlelambpeep Mon 12-Feb-18 17:28:44

Loads of people get
a dress ring until they pick one

JustVent Mon 12-Feb-18 17:28:56

What an arsehole, buying you an expensive ring and wanting to marry and spend the rest of his life with you.

My husband could of proposed with a cock ring and I’d have been over the moon.

But then, I wanted a marriage and commitment not a ring from a bespoke jewellers...

Whowhatwhy Mon 12-Feb-18 17:29:21

I never understand anyone who won't commit to marriage but will commit to a child.

LizardMonitor Mon 12-Feb-18 17:29:29

"don't have a baby without getting married."

You don't know her circumstances.

Passmethecakeplease Mon 12-Feb-18 17:31:07

Not everyone wants to get married though, it's not something you HAVE to do. Having a child is a much bigger commitment than marriage IMO anyway (and I'm married).

GeekyWombat Mon 12-Feb-18 17:31:53

Did you not like the ring, not want to be proposed to or both?

WhoAteMyCandy Mon 12-Feb-18 17:32:10

It was not a expensive ring, it was expensive for what it was... I didn't want him to be wasting money that we don't have.

I personally don't need to be married to have commitment.

LizardMonitor Mon 12-Feb-18 17:32:54

"I never understand anyone who won't commit to marriage but will commit to a child"

You don't know their circumstances, or how far 'marriage' equals 'commitment' to them.

If a mother has her own income and her own property, she is not vulnerable financially. If he is on the birth certificate, marriage doesn't really offer a Father any more access to his child in the event of a split.

A shared child and a jointly owned house are both , arguably, harder to dissolve than a marriage.

ProseccoMadeMeDoIt Mon 12-Feb-18 17:35:16

My husband could of proposed with a cock ring and I’d have been over the moon.

My favourite quote of all time grin

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 12-Feb-18 17:47:38

Are you sure it's for you?

TenancyTroublesAgain Mon 12-Feb-18 17:53:03

"don't have a baby without getting married."

hmm Yeah OP, return your son and do it properly!!!!!11

Valentinesfart Mon 12-Feb-18 17:54:08

But then, I wanted a marriage and commitment not a ring from a bespoke jewellers...

Op has a commitment. She hasn't said she wants a fancy ring from a bespoke jeweller hmm

VladmirsPoutine Mon 12-Feb-18 17:54:13

@LizardMonitor Well said!!!

My aunt is loaded as fuck - never married a man; she didn't need the security. In fact I used to baby sit for her for a 'day wage' grin.
Some women need and require that security. It is absolutely circumstantial.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: