Talk

Advanced search

Delivery to Scotland IV postcodes

(25 Posts)
robbieconti Mon 12-Feb-18 14:50:18

Company Dynamic Deals Limited advertise a uk delivery but when I ordered a tumble drier they called me to ask for £110 + vat for delivery to my post code....
I live in Lossiemouth

Thistlebelle Mon 12-Feb-18 14:51:50

I thought it was quite common for Inverness to be treated like the islands for delivery?

It must be aggravating though.

tabulahrasa Mon 12-Feb-18 14:52:05

Lots of companies charge extra to deliver anywhere north of the central belt...

Deux Mon 12-Feb-18 14:55:38

It could be a Highlands and Islands supplement. Worth giving them a call so that they know you’re not on the Isle of Skye.

Otherwise I’d try a different supplier.

toolonglurking Mon 12-Feb-18 15:00:29

It's pretty common, you could call them to query it but I imagine they will just tell you that your postcode carries an extra cost. We have the same where we live.

FoofFighter Mon 12-Feb-18 15:01:41

Shop elsewhere. Vote with your feet.

Annoys me to heck!!

JennyBlueWren Mon 12-Feb-18 15:04:03

Not even as far north as that. I'm AB postcode but once I moved out of the city I found myself classed as "not mainland UK".

Royal mail aren't allowed to charge different amounts (yet) so why should other delivery companies? It's also often not clear -companies contact you after you've already ordered something or at the very end of the booking process which is really frustrating as it often puts the price right up.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Mon 12-Feb-18 15:06:12

some companies do differentiate between IV "middle nowhere, on an island" postcodes and IV "just off the main Aberdeen-Inverness road" postcodes, but not very many sad

FoofFighter Mon 12-Feb-18 15:11:57

Ironically I live between the AB and IV codes - and delivery from some companies to either of these locations can be free. To get to one from the other they have to go past my location. Which is charged for!! ffs.

I know that several Moray/Highlands MP/MSPs are petitioning for the scot gov to step in and get something sorted, so fingers crossed.

robbieconti Mon 12-Feb-18 15:34:37

Great Comments thanks.. I have decided to vote with my feet.....

shouldnthavesaid Mon 12-Feb-18 15:38:08

My mum is an AB postcode, classed as 'highlands and islands' as well znd been quoted massive delivery charges or point blank refusals from several companies too. Very annoying. Its as if they think we don't have normal roads and infrastructure or something..

Katedotness1963 Mon 12-Feb-18 15:41:23

I'm from Caithness and have been told by companies I'm not on the mainland, even if you phone them they won't believe the county, is indeed, on the mainland. There's a petition on the go to get companies to stop charging a supplement for the Highlands and Islands.

Igneococcus Mon 12-Feb-18 15:49:40

I was ordering several items from the Futon Company in 2002 and was told I would have to pay a Highlands&Islands supplement for delivery. I was living in Dundee at the time. I sent them a link with a map of Scotland but they didn't budge.
I now live in Argyll (with a PA postcode) and BT thinks we live on an island. I can see the Isle of Mull from my window but I do live on the mainland. I saw an article somewhere recently that Scottish parlament is going to look into rip-off delivery charges for the H&I.

themightybanhammer Mon 12-Feb-18 15:51:24

The problem with highlands deliveries is the areas are sparsely populated and the couriers don't have depots nearby because there isn't the volume of deliveries to necessitate it

This means the drivers are coming from depots lower down and spending half the day travelling into an area to make half a van load of deliveries over a large area which isn't really worth them doing if they don't charge a supplement and higher price to do so

Does my head in as depending upon postcode the price to deliver the stuff I sell can vary between £6 for densely populated area up to £30 for Highlands and Islands postcodes and until someone orders something I can't put there address into the couriers system to see what the delivery cost is going to be

The charge you are getting is probably either next day pallet delivery or there own vehicle making the journey up to deliver, in which case if they don't have other deliveries in the area is probably not that far out cost wise

Nicknacky Mon 12-Feb-18 15:54:02

I ordered bedroom furniture from a place in Huddersfield and was charged £40 as I live rurally.....major town in south of Scotland where you don't hit one minor road to get to it.

Mind you, they also considered Paisley to be rural!!

SinceWhenDid Mon 12-Feb-18 15:56:59

Inverness is a big city so there is no excuse sometimes. We are a ph postcode and just off the main perth to Inverness road but still apparently not mainland.confused

DieSchottin93 Mon 12-Feb-18 16:05:16

It's bloody annoying. I bought something online recently and had to pay £9.95 P&P because my postcode is also classed as Highlands and Islands even though it's most definitely not. I put in my old uni accommodation postcode (central belt) and it was £3 cheaper! For Mother's Day last year I tried to order some flowers from Moonpig to be delivered but I couldn't get to the checkout - it took a tweet to them to find out AB postcodes aren't included in their flower delivery angry would have been nice for them to make this clear before I wasted 10 minutes of my time but never mind.... hmm

You have my sympathy, OP.

NNchangedforthis Mon 12-Feb-18 16:09:13

I’m an AB postcode and this winds me up.
I’m no where near the Highlands and Islands yet places try and add a larger delivery charge. I live a 15 min drive from Aberdeen Airport. I’m not rural in the slightest!

thefairyfellersmasterstroke Mon 12-Feb-18 16:16:43

I've had the "rural" delivery charge in Edinburgh!

The company I bought from listed all the postcodes which carried this additional £50 charge and every single Scottish postcode was listed, but no postcodes for England or Wales. Basically, a Scottish surcharge. Annoyinh thing was their depot was in the north of England and huge parts of the south of Scotland were closer to them than the the south of England.

Chembe Mon 12-Feb-18 16:20:50

I find this incredibly frustrating. I live in a city in Scotland, I'm not rural! I simply refuse to buy from anywhere with those ridiculous charges. For example not on the high street, I just find the seller on etsy and pay normal prices!

TeeniefaeTroon Mon 12-Feb-18 16:28:11

I completely agree @robbieconti it drives me nuts! I live near Elgin and many a time I've cancelled an order when the delivery charge goes sky high when I put my postcode in. The latest was a slide for the kids which went from £5 delivery to £66!
My husband works in Aberdeen so I sometimes get things delivered there. Wish I knew someone in Rothes, they're not classed as Highlands apparently 🙄

JellicleCat Mon 12-Feb-18 16:31:33

I no longer buy from anyone who charges a surcharge for this. What gives me the biggest rage is buying from the Central Belt when they still charge a surcharge for IV, but not for shipping to the south coast. Madness.

And we have in the past had something shipped to family in England who send it on to us and it's still been cheaper paying two lots of shipping costs than the surcharge!!

I am two miles off the A9, I am not remote. Sign the petitions, we may get it stopped eventually.

SinceWhenDid Mon 12-Feb-18 16:35:03

Yes I've had things delivered to friends in Aberlour as it was cheaper. We are so much closer to transport links, cities etc than Aberlour 😂

5cats Mon 12-Feb-18 16:36:05

Also an AB post code and some companies charge extortionate fees once past Banff. My friends mum who lives their is now my " depot " as when my friend has something ordered she tacks my orders on too so we save a bundle on delivery charges. Where we live, even with an AB postcode we are in Banffshire, now stated as Aberdeenshire but also come under Morayshire confused I always think that some companies forget the majority of Scotland is Mainland with the minority the Islands, once you get past the central belt.

wendywhite Mon 12-Feb-18 18:30:15

I live next to Aberdeen & they’ve started including AB postcodes for these surcharges.
Especially on EBAY.
Absolute piss take.
We are nowhere near the highlands,
Supposed oil capital of Europe.
Gives me the rage thinking about it.
Annoying enough everything arrives a day “late” due to where we are.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: