Talk

Advanced search

To ask your views on LEGOLAND?

(47 Posts)
Thebig3 Mon 12-Feb-18 14:23:27

Just that really....what is the best age range to get the best enjoyment out of it?

MIL has suggested going and taking the children. I think they are too young to enjoy and it would be a day of walking around and queuing loads with lots of bored kids. For info kids are 6mths, 1yr, 3yr, 4yr and 6yr

BeyondThePage Mon 12-Feb-18 14:28:52

it would be a day of walking around and queuing loads with lots of bored kids

pretty much sums up any theme park "experience" nowadays since places get so busy ...

unless, of course, the kids are 15 and with their mates when it is AMAZING.

BeyondThePage Mon 12-Feb-18 14:29:26

(but not amazing at Legoland - more Alton towers)

whatsagoodusername Mon 12-Feb-18 14:30:16

Let her take the older DC. They'll probably love it.

3yo is probably too small for a lot of it.

LadyMcLadyCrisps Mon 12-Feb-18 14:33:05

Overpriced, overhyped, huge queues.

We went for a whole day and got on no more than 2 main rides (honestly) due to queuing, never again!

scaredofthecity Mon 12-Feb-18 14:34:20

Its so overpriced. It is very much a younger theme park. We went last year with DS who was 2 and he could pretty much go on everything bar 2 or 3 rides.
I was really looking forward to it as I've wanted to go since I was a kid and I was very disappointed. It was shabby and hideously expensive (£4 for a bag of jelly babies shock).
We went on a overcast school day and still had to queue for ages. I won't be returning in a hurry.

Butterball17 Mon 12-Feb-18 14:34:53

I thoroughly enjoyed it when I took my then 5 year old.... so much to see and do one of the best days out I have had.... I’m soon to be going back with my four children as I hadn’t visited for 5 years! Highly recommended though you need a second mortgage to stay in the legoland hotel!!

monkeywithacowface Mon 12-Feb-18 14:35:18

At 6 months and 1 years old they'll get nothing out of it. It is ridiculously busy and I wouldn't pay entry for 1 day as you just don't get on that many rides in one day. We have had Merlin passes before so have been 4 or 5 times in one year so you don't feel like you haven't had value for money.

We do enjoy but mine are older and I only have two of them so much easier!

Floralnomad Mon 12-Feb-18 14:37:16

The 3/4 and 6 yr old will enjoy it , personally mine were bored of Legoland by 7 as the rides were not exciting enough for them but we did a lot of theme parks .

LadyMcLadyCrisps Mon 12-Feb-18 14:37:29

Forgot to add, I suffer from chronic lower back pain, which means I need to sit frequently, good luck finding anywhere to sit down that doesnt involve you paying for the ridiculously expensive food!

Mormont Mon 12-Feb-18 14:42:06

I took ds when he was aged 8, 11 and 13 and he thoroughly enjoyed it each time. He was really into Lego then though. He also doesn't like big Alton Towers type rides. Although they have things for little ones I think from age 6 is when they would get the most out of it.

blackteasplease Mon 12-Feb-18 14:49:41

dd enjoyed it aged nearly 5. But I would recommend avoiding my attempt to leave the car park at the end of the day - either arrive and leave early or go by public transport. It took hours to get out at 5pm!

MrsPreston11 Mon 12-Feb-18 14:54:48

If you can go during term time with the older 3 then great.

Any other time I bet is pure hell.

We go to a lot of theme parks and LEGOLAND, even on days when chessington and the likes would be dead, will still have queues.

My 4 and 6 year olds are now both big enough for everything there and love it all. I think by the time oldest is 9/10 then she'll be too big as the rides are all pretty tame. My two (and D and I ) like our rides fast though.

Singlebutmarried Mon 12-Feb-18 15:27:37

Cost £150 (with vouchers) for 3 of us to go on 3 rides. Utterly crap, won’t go back.

Boulshired Mon 12-Feb-18 15:32:06

Definitely wait for an inset day, it’s ok if you can do rides quickly and the ones you like over again.

NotCitrus Mon 12-Feb-18 15:32:07

It's a strange place as half of it is an overpriced rides park for kids age 10+, with no attempt to theme it or anything, and hellish long queues, and the other half is the Lego/Duplo section for kids up to around 9, and is also overpriced and much of it has long queues.

If you live nearby and have an annual pass so you can take small kids to splash around regularly, it's apparently worth it. For everyone else, I really wouldn't bother. Shame as I have wonderful memories of the one in Denmark - apparently you can go there on holiday for cheaper than the UK one!

FranticallyPeaceful Mon 12-Feb-18 15:32:41

Absolutely rubbish. I have never spent so long queueing anywhere in my entire life. Not only that but they wasted two hours of our day by sending us to the other side of the park for our prepaid for drink cups only to send us back again saying they had run out then back again. It was the worst, most over priced waste of time I’ve ever had to endure! We went on 3 rides all together and it cost about £200

WishingOnABar Mon 12-Feb-18 15:35:40

Overpriced, overhyped, huge queues

Definitely echo this. It’s not worth the money. If there’s a Gullivers near you, they are worth a visit and much cheaper

SparklyUnicornShite Mon 12-Feb-18 15:36:44

Not worth it. We took our 4 dc last year went on 1 ride after queuing for 2 hours. We wanted to go on more but typically as soon as we got to the front the rides broke down.

Yogagirl123 Mon 12-Feb-18 15:41:29

We have been few times, we have enjoyed it, it’s a must for Lego fans, of course it is expensive as theme parks tend to be! You can buy q bots to reduce queuing time. You have to pay for parking, you can buy refillable cups for the kids, take a picnic and eat it in miniland to reduce cost and save time.

elliejjtiny Mon 12-Feb-18 15:44:42

Dc1 loved it at 3 and dc4 wasn't keen at all. My older ones love it (aged 11, 9 and 7) and they go on loads of rides.

Titsywoo Mon 12-Feb-18 15:44:54

I used to take my kids on an inset day and it wasn't too busy. Got there at opening and went straight to the busiest stuff (driving school etc). Ended the day in the waterpark bit. They always had a good time and we started going when DS was about 3 or 4. I'd say by 9 years old they felt too old for it though.

MikeUniformMike Mon 12-Feb-18 16:05:27

I have been several times. It think it is best for 5-7 yr olds but younger or older will enjoy it too. Went with DP and no kids on a sunny schoolday in September and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
One of the times we went with the kids it rained and it wasn't fun.
Food and drinks are expensive. Look out for special offers for entry.

If you are fairly local, I recommend the Bekonscot railway and model village www.bekonscot.co.uk/. No big rides but well worth a visit. The prices vary - it's much cheaper towards the end of the day and you probably wouldn't want to be there for hours. There is a quiz style questionnaire sheet, and that is worth getting. It's a bit more Enid Blyton style than LEGOLAND.

MirandaWest Mon 12-Feb-18 16:08:25

DS and I had a lovely day there when he wa nearly 6 but that was 8.5 years ago

Thebig3 Mon 12-Feb-18 17:42:44

Thanks for all the responses. My main concern was that most of the kids would be too short for the rides. We are all travelling from different parts of the country to go (with me being a good 3hrs drive away). I am the one who is saying it would be better to do something else as we are going on a Saturday and I think it will be a nightmare and the kids actually won't enjoy it that much! Thanks for the comments though everyone

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: