Talk

Advanced search

Rude doctor

(51 Posts)
ThisLittleKitty Mon 12-Feb-18 12:38:14

My baby had oral thrush a couple of weeks ago (on the weekend) so I took her to the pharmacy to ask if they had anything I could give her as I didn't want to wait to see a doctor as she was clearly in pain from it. They said they thought it was best to see one, but told me I could buy something over the counter. I did this and used it. It seemed to go but then returned. I noticed it on Thursday night and she was struggling with feeding. Instead of going to the pharmacy again I thought I would call the doctors and see if they could prescribe me anything without needing to go in. As I had missed the walk in clinic which is 8-11 as baby kept screaming and refusing to feed and I didn't want to take her out whilst she hadn't fed or napped as I knew it would be difficult. Anyway duty doctor calls back and tells me I can come in any time in the afternoon. I go in and after my appointment the doctor rudely asks me why I didn't come to the walk in! And how I'm "lucky" to be seen as its usual a 2 hour wait. Aibu in thinking it was abit mean considering the appointment was for a baby and if he didn't want to see us he could have just said on the phone? I also mentioned that I feel dd has passed it onto me as my left breast was very sore and he just said "see how it goes." Not prescribing anything and last night I couldn't feed her at all from that side as it was extremely painful.

EatTheChocolateTeapot Mon 12-Feb-18 12:43:29

I think he was concerned for your baby as he felt it was urgent for her to get treatment.

ThisLittleKitty Mon 12-Feb-18 12:48:24

But the walk in is a 2 hour wait so hardly urgent. And if he wanted her seen urgently I would have been told to come in right away not "any time this afternoon"

Poshindevon Mon 12-Feb-18 12:49:05

I dont understand your reluctance to see a doctor. You baby was screaming and could not feed but you chose not to go to the walk in clinic.
The doctor was not rude, he unlike you, was concerned for your childs welfare.

ButchyRestingFace Mon 12-Feb-18 12:50:11

Did you explain the above to him?

ShotsFired Mon 12-Feb-18 12:51:18

The walk in is not the deli counter at Tesco where everyone waits their tun in strict order! They triage patients according to need. Anecdotally that means babies and small children get pushed up the queue.

KatnissK Mon 12-Feb-18 12:51:27

I believe you both need treatment for thrush or you will continue passing it back and forth. Have a look on the breastfeeding network at the info they have there - I believe they recommend the best treatment and you can print it off and take it to the GP. I would book an appt with a different Dr as clearly the one you saw was not only rude but also not very knowledgeable about breastfeeding! Good luck.

ThisLittleKitty Mon 12-Feb-18 12:53:50

Wtf!! Have you read my post!! A pharmacist diagnosed her with oral thrush I KNEW what it was so asked for a prescription over the phone from the dr as the one from the pharmacy didn't work!! Your very nasty aren't you "poshindevon"

mumonashoestring Mon 12-Feb-18 12:55:54

Well, it certainly doesn't sound particularly helpful but maybe you did come across as having your priorities a bit wonky? You were told it would be best to see a Dr but didn't, then once it had got worse and she was struggling to feed you didn't want to take her til she'd fed and napped? Next time, just get on with it.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 12-Feb-18 12:57:26

I don't think they were rude either the.

Well in centres don't work the way you think they do either. You probably would have been seen virtually straight away.

ThisLittleKitty Mon 12-Feb-18 12:57:58

I couldn't see a doctor it was the weekend. Again please read. And it cleared then came back which is why I called the doctor so. Again read properly.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 12-Feb-18 12:58:14

*walk in centres.

ButchyRestingFace Mon 12-Feb-18 12:58:42

I didn't want to take her out whilst she hadn't fed or napped as I knew it would be difficult.

This part of your post does tend to suggest your priorities were a bit skew whiff, OP.

expertonnothing Mon 12-Feb-18 12:58:46

I think you should have put the baby In the pram regardless of naps or feeding and taken her to the doctors. It might have been a bit fraught but I think it would've been the best option

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 12-Feb-18 12:59:11

I couldn't see a doctor it was the weekend

Yes you could have gone to the walk in centre.

You are now coming across as rude the.

ThisLittleKitty Mon 12-Feb-18 12:59:11

I've been to the walk in at my go surgery many times and it is an average of 2 hours. The dr also told me I'm lucky as it's usually 2 hours. Are people deliberately choosing to not read?

MrMeSeeks Mon 12-Feb-18 13:00:18

I think he was right .
You cant just say what you think it is, the doc needed to see your baby, the pharmacist could have been wrong, he cant just give you a prescription for a baby over the phone.
If it was wrong, it woukd have been him in trouble.

ThisLittleKitty Mon 12-Feb-18 13:00:49

There are no walk ins around never me at the weekend as unfortunately the only one we had was closed. A&e would have been the only option which seems extreme for oral thrush surely?

Moonandstars84 Mon 12-Feb-18 13:02:13

There was a case of suspected thrush on Gps behind closed doors. The GP took swabs as they don't prescribe antibiotics until it is confirmed anymore.
Not sure if this applies in all areas.

Purplelion Mon 12-Feb-18 13:02:30

You didn’t want to take your baby out when she hadn’t fed but you said the thrush was stopping her from wanting to feed, so surely you wanted to see a doctor ASAP to get the treatment and then she could fed comfortably again?
My DD had thrush a lot when she was a baby and we had to see a doctor each time to get a prescription, as someone said a baby would be prioritised.
The doctor wasn’t rude, you chose not to take your baby somewhere despite knowing they needed to see a doctor

ThisLittleKitty Mon 12-Feb-18 13:02:59

Again the issue isn't me trying to get it over the phone. Not sure why people are picking on that. The issue was the gp asking in a rude tone why I didn't attend the walk in and then when I mentioned that I feel it's been passed on to me he just said "see how it goes"

expertonnothing Mon 12-Feb-18 13:03:41

As I had missed the walk in clinic which is 8-11 as baby kept screaming and refusing to feed and I didn't want to take her out whilst she hadn't fed or napped as I knew it would be difficult.

I'm reading this as you didn't want to take her to clinic as she may have played up

GlitterUnicornsAndAllThatJazz Mon 12-Feb-18 13:03:52

So what makes you and your baby so specisl you couldn't just man up and go to the baby clinic like every other mum and baby ffs?
If there had been other patients there you would have taken up an unnecessary slot when you could have just followed the rules and gone to the clinic.
Stop wasting doctors time.

WomanInTheMirrorStaresAtMe Mon 12-Feb-18 13:04:44

Yeah it is normally a wait at walk in centres and it can be very stressful. I know as I have done it many times when my babies have been unwell and need to be seen. I have gotten on with it and endured the stress because them receiving medical treatment is a priority and that's what a parent does.

MrMeSeeks Mon 12-Feb-18 13:04:47

He's probably concerned as to why you didn't bring her in sooner ( the walk in)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: