Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your views on this article about Mumsnet:

(37 Posts)
busyboysmum Mon 12-Feb-18 11:41:27

blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/jeremy-corbyn-has-a-new-enemy-mumsnet/

Mumsnet is fab and full of serious, interesting people talking about serious, interesting stuff. For an increasing number of them, that means gender recognition, self-defined gender and the implications (practical, social, political and philosophical) for women — by which I mean, people who were born female.

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Mon 12-Feb-18 11:45:43

Thumbs up from me.

Samcro Mon 12-Feb-18 11:47:39

i doubt if the whole of mn is angry
some of us have our own stuff to worry about politically

DriggleDraggle Mon 12-Feb-18 11:48:11

i think it is an accurate report on threads and views expressed on mn recently.

YetAnotherSpartacus Mon 12-Feb-18 11:56:21

Fucking Brilliant!

We are (biological) women - hear us ROOOOAAAAAAARRRRRR!

athingthateveryoneneeds Mon 12-Feb-18 11:58:43

Loved it. Love being here.

PerfPower Mon 12-Feb-18 12:04:06

Brilliant! Especially his acknowledgement that he receives far less venomous backlash than the women writing articles about this 'for some reason'.

busyboysmum Mon 12-Feb-18 12:07:30

Yes strange that can't imagine why.....

TerfsUp Mon 12-Feb-18 12:08:38

The article was spot-on. Kudos to Kirkup for raising the issue. Labour need to listen.

ghostyslovesheets Mon 12-Feb-18 12:13:56

very good article - spot on for me - a Labour member and activist for 32 years who's utterly pissed off

SleepIsForTheWeek Mon 12-Feb-18 12:16:37

Wow. Well said. Let's hope the tide is beginning to turn?

HollyBayTree Mon 12-Feb-18 12:19:09

If it stops you lot voting for the muppet , all well and good.

EmpressOfJurisfiction Mon 12-Feb-18 12:28:07

Brilliant article. <waves to James Kirkup>

"Mumsnet is angry. And here’s something I already knew. When Mumsnet is angry, someone in politics is in trouble."

Mumsnetters have been angry about this for over 2 years now. I've just checked & the Women's Equality Party / Tara Hudson thread was in late 2015.

Madmarchpear Mon 12-Feb-18 12:33:25

Excellent piece. Hope Jez read it.

IHATEPeppaPig Mon 12-Feb-18 12:34:22

I posted on the thread in feminism about this - I am a staunch labour voter and love Jeremy but won't vote for them whilst this gender politics push for self ID is still up in the air.

GrannyGrissle Mon 12-Feb-18 12:43:06

My love for Wise Old Elf Corbyn soon shrivelled up and died.

RaininSummer Mon 12-Feb-18 12:45:54

Great article

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 12-Feb-18 12:49:52

Wow. Well said. Let's hope the tide is beginning to turn?

Doubt it. He'll have an investigation which says nothing and then elevate the author to House of Lords if his past record is anything to go buy. All whilst ignoring the issue and it actually getting worse.

Everyonematters Mon 12-Feb-18 12:51:24

Spot on. I initially thought this issue didn't affect me and I had my own stuff to worry about. Then I thought why are people being funny about trans people everyone should be able to get on with their lives as long as they are not hurting anyone.

Then I thought HANG ON a minute. Really glad mumsnet picked up on this. It's complex but absolutely huge. Have never lost sleep over a political issue before. Have never looked up a political committee report before.

ZBIsabella Mon 12-Feb-18 12:51:55

Good article and he is right. I am cross that we might start including men in statistics about women. If women had equality and earned what men did and men did as much as women at home I would not realy care about it but we are nowhere near yet and we don't forget that discussion when Corbyn was first appointed overheard by the journalist that he had forgotten to put any women into senior roles.......

We need to ensure ex men don't get counted in statistics about women, in meeting gender quotas and in crime statistics. I rarely use a public loo and cannot get too hot under the collar about that kind of thing but the statistics and progress of women issues and the fact men often cannot shut up and don't let women get a word in edgeways which seems to apply to some transwomen / men too is something we need to watch out for.

YourVagesty Mon 12-Feb-18 12:59:30

Brilliant. Great article.

ParisMiper Mon 12-Feb-18 13:04:15

James Kirkup 🥇great article. Sums up my sentiments entirely star

AltheaTrell Mon 12-Feb-18 13:06:57

Yes! This guy is great. Good for him giving us a voice when others are too scared to.

Belleende Mon 12-Feb-18 13:42:39

I have found this issue hugely challenging to navigate and the threads on here have been invaluable in helping to clarify my thinking.

I am of the generation that has done really well in tackling various prejudices and made massive strides in achieving greater equality. Being accused of prejudice is a very soft spot to poke, and I am always in fear of this when tackling transgender issues.

However, I now think we are in a bit of an Emperor's New clothes scenario. Where we are headed with self id is blatently bonkers, but say this and you get shot down. We do need to fight for and protect our rights as women and if MN has the balls to do that, I'm in.

yorkshireyummymummy Mon 12-Feb-18 13:43:36

The power of mumsnet.

God, we women truly are amazing arnt we.
I feel so proud to be a woman ........and I have never felt like this before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now