Talk

Advanced search

Kids names...

(168 Posts)
FlipOff Mon 12-Feb-18 09:29:01

To wonder why people care so much about other people's lives...?

My kids have unusual names and I get constant remarks and it has begun to piss me off my standard reply now is It's not of anyone else's business and it's so rude.

Perhaps we should all care more about important issues and less about other people's names!

GlitterUnicornsAndAllThatJazz Mon 12-Feb-18 09:30:15

Depends - are your kids' names poncey unusual or trashy unusual?

GreenTulips Mon 12-Feb-18 09:31:26

What sort of remarks? If you are getting remarks what are the kids going to get in the future?

Sirzy Mon 12-Feb-18 09:32:17

Surely if you pick unusual names you expect comments?

FlipOff Mon 12-Feb-18 09:32:46

Neither - they're just names.

FlipOff Mon 12-Feb-18 09:33:53

Think something like a regular name with an unusual spelling.

(My kids love it but are also pretty confident at defending themselves - verbally.)

FlipOff Mon 12-Feb-18 09:34:41

I just don't get the fascination with commenting on other people's names!

Just say oh that's a nice name and move on, or say wow that's unusual and move on.

TabbyMumz Mon 12-Feb-18 09:35:49

So...someone says "oh that's an unusual name" and you reply with "it's none of your business"? I would your response is ruder than their comment. Perhaps you shouldn't have given them unusual names in the first place?

sixteenapples Mon 12-Feb-18 09:36:51

The majority of people who give their kids "unusual" names do it because they want to be different and attract attention.

When we name our children there are a number of factors involved. We want to "claim" the child - "this is my child". We want to show others the sort of person we are, (class/ culture/ family), we want to give thew child somethign from us , of value that others will know of for the rest of the child's life.

If we all calleed our children by numbers there would never be any comments.

FlipOff Mon 12-Feb-18 09:37:27

Tabby - no that would be fine - it's the people who continue to comment that annoy me.

FlipOff Mon 12-Feb-18 09:38:03

Sixteen 😂 that's interesting but we just chose names we liked.

sixteenapples Mon 12-Feb-18 09:38:56

Sorry for typos.

By the way people rarely comment on adult names so this will wear off.

SleepingStandingUp Mon 12-Feb-18 09:38:58

So they have normal names with your own spelling?
Are people criticising or simply clarifying what its mean to say?

sixteenapples Mon 12-Feb-18 09:39:24

But the thing is why did you like them??

Kpo58 Mon 12-Feb-18 09:40:07

Unusual names are a PITA if you work in admin. People get insulted when you ask them to spell out what appears to be a simple name like Alan, because it could be one of 5 different spelling variations and the namesake thinks that you are thick and can't spell, rather than you just want to make sure it is spelt correctly.

Merryoldgoat Mon 12-Feb-18 09:40:14

‘Unusual’ spellings make me wonder if the parent didn’t bother finding out the correct spelling.

I’d probably not comment though, just feel sorry for the child lumbered with it.

Nottheduchessofcambridge Mon 12-Feb-18 09:41:06

I don’t understand why people name their children perfectly normal names but change the spelling. For example Leesa instead of Lisa or Kerrie instead of Kerry. That just leads to a lifetime of explaining the spelling, there’s just no point to it. I probably wouldn’t make a comment though, I’d just be a bit hmm

NotASingleFuckToGive Mon 12-Feb-18 09:44:11

So they have regular names, but you've spelled them differently?
Almost everyone has an opinion on Yoo-neek names. You've just been unlucky enough to meet people who actually voice them!

sixteenapples Mon 12-Feb-18 09:48:04

I chose names I liked for my children but I would never have chosen a name that was very obviously not of my religion for example.

Someone may like the names Mo and Ayesha - I do. But a white middle class family with kids in Surrey are not going to choose those names for their children. They will probabaly choose Charlie and Olivia.

It is also unlikely that someone would choose Julian and Hugo for their Hindu twins and Emmie and Matt in Cheshire in 2018 are not going to choose Sharon, Tracey, Kevin, Darren and Pavel for thier five kids.

We are so much a product of our class and time. My own name has not been used for a girl for 40 years - yet it was in the top ten and was once voted "sexiest name for a secretary" in those sexist days of the seventies!!!

NotASingleFuckToGive Mon 12-Feb-18 09:56:04

we just chose names we liked

And then changed them.
Your DC will have to spell out their own first name to everyone they meet in an educational, work and social setting for the next 85 years now!

"Let's put your name on your coat peg, Emily! That's an E...and M, and I-"
"No Miss, there's no 'i' in Emily"
"Isn't there?"
"No. It's E..M..E..R..L..E...E"

GlitterUnicornsAndAllThatJazz Mon 12-Feb-18 10:02:15

Presumably you chose to give your kids "special" spellings of standard names because you wanted them to special/unique/eyecatching/different. And now you're saying you dont like the attention?

peachypetite Mon 12-Feb-18 10:06:39

Unusual is one thing but I never understand why parents mess with the spelling of established names. Always ends up looking chavvy.

KungFuPandaWorksOut16 Mon 12-Feb-18 10:07:16

When I hear that people have changed the spelling of a "normal" name, this picture springs to mind!

WaxOnFeckOff Mon 12-Feb-18 10:09:40

Glitter I guess that's because the reaction is not positive.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 12-Feb-18 10:11:01

You’re surprised that people comment on you creatively spelling normal names? Really?hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: