Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is "slimming world" just healthy eating?

(40 Posts)
mumof2exhausted Mon 12-Feb-18 09:06:47

Genuinely curious - looking at some slimming world recipes etc in magazine and it just seems to be healthy recipes cooked from scratch and cutting out crap (crisis / chocolate etc). Am I missing something? Looking to drop half a stone (last half stone after having kids) and curious if it's worth it for me?

BeyondThePage Mon 12-Feb-18 09:07:45

not that healthy, they seem to load on carbs.

Auspiciouspanda Mon 12-Feb-18 09:08:51

Yes it is just healthy eating but with that little to lose I doubt it’ll be very effective for you.

Marcine Mon 12-Feb-18 09:10:09

What is it with Slimming World threads at the moment?

Yes, it's just healthy eating, low sugar/low fat - lots of fruit and veg, lean meat, fish and eggs, pasta and rice.

Going to a group is generally what contributes to people losing and keeping it off though.

Awaits angry cries of avocado! Muller lights!

happiestcamper Mon 12-Feb-18 09:11:26

I found it great, lost loads of weight quite quickly (all back in now 🐷) but its not healthy at all. Unlimited pasta and potatoes are never good

FlexTimeCheekyFucker Mon 12-Feb-18 09:11:43

Looking at the quantities, I doubt it would work if you don't have loads to lose. It wouldn't for me.

Marcine Mon 12-Feb-18 09:12:11

What's the problem with pasta and potatoes?

blackteasplease Mon 12-Feb-18 09:12:16

My friend calls it that around her dd, "healthy eating" rather than SW, so I'm guessing that's how she sees it.

Altwoo Mon 12-Feb-18 09:13:42

Low sugar, low fat, with portion control and exercise. It’s effective because it’s so normal and not restrictive - and the weekly weigh ins are motivating.

Anyone who says it's carb heavy hasn’t followed the plan!

Marcine Mon 12-Feb-18 09:16:40

I really don't see what the problem with carbs is?
If you're eating at least 1/3 of your meal veg, plus lean meat or fish, and you stop eating when you are full, then what on earth do people think some pasta or a jacket potato is going to do confused It's not poison.

FolinCirth Mon 12-Feb-18 09:19:18

Oh for heavens sake! I am so fed up of reading that SW is not healthy because you overload on potatoes and pasta....if you follow it correctly, and fill at least a third of your plate with vegetables, you will not overload on potatoes or pasta.

DollyMcDolly Mon 12-Feb-18 09:20:27

I’ve seen loads of photos on Instagram from people doing slimming world and I’m amazed they lose weight. Massive fry ups and it’s syn free because they’ve used fry light or an air fryer.

specialsubject Mon 12-Feb-18 09:22:55

There is no problem with carbs. Eat too much of anything and you get fat. No food is unhealthy.

PurpleDaisies Mon 12-Feb-18 09:23:31

I really like slimming world and I agree that if you’re doing it right, you’re not eating masses of carbs.

It’s a diet emphasising eating loads of vegetables and lean protein. You could do that without specifically following slimming world. When I decide to eat five portions of veg a day, I’m too full for much else.

YerAuntFanny Mon 12-Feb-18 09:25:58

If you follow the plan properly and use a bit of common sense then yes, I think it does lead to a healthier lifestyle.

I've certainly cooked a lot more from scratch and thought about what I'm eating than I did before but I don't agree with the seemingly constant promotion of processed crap such as Muller lights, Mugshots or Pasta n sauce as "healthy snacks". In moderation I'm sure their fine but I really don't think encouraging people to reach for them at any time of day is a good thing!

The thing a lot of people get stuck on is the "unlimited pasta/potatoes", that isn't the case. Yes they're "syn free" but that's different to a "free food".

A plate should be atleast 1/3 speed foods, then 1/3 free protein and 1/3 syn free carbs. I guess this is where you need common sense and a basic knowledge of nutrition and what is good for you. It's about portion control eating as much as you want.

Admittedly I'd rather not be reliant on a specific plan but since I had zero willpower and I have form for binge eating I have it a go and have lost just over 3st in 9 months by changing my habits so it has helped me in that sense 😊

YerAuntFanny Mon 12-Feb-18 09:27:40

Oh, and I enjoy an avocado once a week if they're reduced in Aldi grin

YerAuntFanny Mon 12-Feb-18 09:28:17

*not eating as much as you want rather

BeHappyMummy Mon 12-Feb-18 09:28:26

Calorie input- calorie output= weightloss/gain.

Regardless of what you eat.

BeHappyMummy Mon 12-Feb-18 09:29:03

"Calorie output"- is meant to be energy burned.

Got no sleep last night, sorry.

FlipOff Mon 12-Feb-18 09:30:20

I lost 8lbs in my first week!

It is just healthy eating but it's the structure and support you get - oh and the certificates, lol.

greendale17 Mon 12-Feb-18 09:30:45

**I really don't see what the problem with carbs is?
If you're eating at least 1/3 of your meal veg, plus lean meat or fish, and you stop eating when you are full, then what on earth do people think some pasta or a jacket potato is going to do confused It's not poison.**

^I agree. I could never give up carbs and I am not overweight

JennyOnAPlate Mon 12-Feb-18 09:32:01

It is essentially just a healthy diet, yes. Unless it’s changed since I last did it about 5 years ago though it’s a diet that allows you to eat a fuck ton of food if you want to. I don’t think that part of it is healthy.

Marcine Mon 12-Feb-18 09:35:14

Dolly - you won't lose weight if you have a fry up every day, but I like a cooked breakfast at the weekend. Low fat sausages, bacon with no fat, grilled tomatoes, poached eggs, baked beans.
Not enough veg for it to be a truly SW meal but it is fine for once a week. Sometimes I even make chips to go with it.

WhiteVixen Mon 12-Feb-18 11:35:47

I'm also a SW follower and yes, those that say 'oh you can eat as much pasta/potatoes as you want' aren't doing it right. There is portion control built in, and you are still encouraged to only 'eat until you're satisfied' rather than stuff yourself until you burst.

But to answer your OP question, yes it is basically healthy eating, low fat and low sugar.

WhiteVixen Mon 12-Feb-18 11:37:47

I also manage to follow the plan and lose weight without filling up on Muller Lights, artificial sweetener and Mug Shots. They are not an absolute requirement of the plan!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: