Advanced search

To think it's quite hard to find proof of address these days

(56 Posts)
lookingforthecorkscrew Mon 12-Feb-18 09:02:14

Because nobody has paper bills?

New letting agency want proof of address from the last three months, they've stated something like a mobile phone bill or bank statement.

But DH and I do all of our billing online, surely most people do these days.

Apparently my driving license isn't a valid proof of address either, it has to be a bill.

LIZS Mon 12-Feb-18 09:04:02

Council tax or water bill are usually paper. Child benefit letter, payslip?

WhatATimeToBeAlive Mon 12-Feb-18 09:04:33

If you do a download of your bills they will have your address on.

Ilovewheelychairs Mon 12-Feb-18 09:04:33

If you have online banking just print out the last three months statements. That’s been fine for both letting agencies we’ve used.

BrizzleMaverick Mon 12-Feb-18 09:05:09

You should be able to print your bank statements out and they will have your address on it. Can do the same with mobiles if you can log in to your account.

Council tax, water bills will also work if you have them.

If you don't have a printer then maybe go to a library.

Scribblegirl Mon 12-Feb-18 09:05:18

Yep, it's really irritating. Especially if your OH is like mine and shreds everything. The day we applied for our mortgage was a nightmare - we wound up having to use letters that were slightly older than 3 months, luckily the bank OK'd it. I do understand the importance of watertight AML (work in this area) but it's a total ballache.

HereWeGoRoundAgain Mon 12-Feb-18 09:05:32

Surely you just print them from online if you need to? Always been accepted when I've had to do it.

peachypetite Mon 12-Feb-18 09:06:33

Just print them ?confused

lookingforthecorkscrew Mon 12-Feb-18 09:07:53

They said we couldn't just print them!!

I'm going to anyway.

moonlight1705 Mon 12-Feb-18 09:09:23

I went into my bank and asked them to print off statements and it wasn't accepted as the people asking did not accept anything that had been 'online'.

I've now started getting paper bills for a credit card just to have the ID available if needed. Even my council tax is online these days.

HateTheDF Mon 12-Feb-18 09:10:46

My bank tried to charge me £10 to print off a statement when I needed it for an Estate Agent. I couldn't believe how lucky I was when I got home and my council tax statement had been delivered in the morning - I'd never been so pleased to see one of those.

We were also told that we couldn't just print them off ourselves.

Sidge Mon 12-Feb-18 09:13:57

Most won’t let you just print stuff at home, they want the originals.

They should accept a council tax bill more than 3 months old as they are sent yearly and are very “official”.

You can also ask your bank to print and stamp statements in the branch, the letting agency should accept those. They shouldn’t charge for it! (Mine didn’t). You could also phone your water or energy company and ask them to send you a one off paper statement.

AndhowcouldIeverrefuse Mon 12-Feb-18 09:14:02

The Home Office will only accept printed online statements that have been stamped by the bank to prove they are correct! I'm afraid I insist on having all my bills and statements on paper and don't shred anything.

RebelRogue Mon 12-Feb-18 09:16:08

You can ring the council or water company and they will send you a summary. Water people were lovely and got it in two days, council were dicks,20£ fee and 3 week wait.

mydogisthebest Mon 12-Feb-18 09:18:18

I have changed back to paper bills for my bank and a couple of bills. Lots of companies won't accept a printed copy as proof of id so it's just easy to have paper bills

allegretto Mon 12-Feb-18 09:20:51

Yes, it is. I was also told that print outs didn't count and as we were almost paperless, it was very difficult. We need id cards!

StillMedusa Mon 12-Feb-18 09:22:04

I have an interview this morning...and yep same problem! All my bank Statements are online and DH is the named person on stuff like the water bill, gas etc.
By sheer luck HMRC had just updated my tax code from a second job so I'm taking that!

DriggleDraggle Mon 12-Feb-18 09:23:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MigGril Mon 12-Feb-18 09:26:23

Yes we've had this problem to, think it's about time they did something about it as it's so hard to prove proof of address now. We to are almost totally paperless.

blueskyinmarch Mon 12-Feb-18 09:37:20

The last few things i had through the post with my address on were TV licence renewal letter, car tax renewal letter, HMRC letter. Have you got any of those? Are they deemed acceptable?

Spartasprout Mon 12-Feb-18 09:39:09

The reason bills you've printed yourself are generally unacceptable is because it's so easy to doctor them and create your own. I had fraud training when I worked in Benefits and a large part of the course was how to spot doctored documents. We had paperwork coming in every week that was made up!

Spartasprout Mon 12-Feb-18 09:40:31

You can also ask the Council for a copy of your last bill to be produced and posted out to you.

Zaphodsotherhead Mon 12-Feb-18 09:40:54

I had the problem that I didn't want to send in my passport (I had to travel overseas and didn't want it 'in the post' when I needed it) and I have an old stylee paper driving licence. So no photo ID. The solicitor was slightly baffled - I was sitting in front of her, but she couldn't take that as proof, apparently.

Luckily they took my HMRC tax letter as proof of identity or I would have been screwed. I don't know what people do who don't have a passport or driving licence for photo ID.

Amanduh Mon 12-Feb-18 09:42:02

I agree, it’s a nightmare, especially when they say ‘no online print outs only originals’ always a palaver!

Lweji Mon 12-Feb-18 09:43:17

Email them your bills then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: