Talk

Advanced search

To not be sure what to do

(6 Posts)
clearpaleblue Sun 11-Feb-18 20:35:24

Have had a difficult time and some debts. Mostly to essential bills.

Have made payment plans but have added up and am left with no money.

What should I do? I'm so stressed out.

Avasarala Sun 11-Feb-18 20:39:11

Get back in touch with the companies and ask to adjust the payment plans. These things only become a problem when you try to ignore it. You'll end up missing payments and get stuck with more fees and more stress. But if you call them up, explain your expenses and give them a figure you can afford then they will usually agree or at least work with you on it. They get their money back that way and you're not scared every time the phone rings.
Don't worry about it; just call them up and talk to them.

Avasarala Sun 11-Feb-18 20:42:25

Also, if you've got any overdrafts with your banks then call them up and tell then your in financial distress - give them whatever the reason is and the date it started (replacing a washing machine or whatever it was that caused you to be stuck in an overdraft) - the banks usually refund you any fees you've paid during the "financial distress" period - one of their mandates is to help you so you might be able to get some money back - they have a department dedicated to dealing with people stuck in a cycle of overdrafts fees.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 11-Feb-18 20:45:32

Have a look at this.

My friend works for Step Change as a volunteer and he says it's amazing how relieved people are when he sits down with them and helps sort it all out. Worth trying?

clearpaleblue Sun 11-Feb-18 20:48:18

Thank you. I did contact step change last year but didn't find they could help as my income is variable.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 11-Feb-18 20:55:40

Yes I had a really bad time a few years ago and had so much in overdraft fees that it was wiping out the next month's money. I found on the Moneysaving Expert website they gave the name of who to ring. I did, and got it all back again - it made a huge difference. I had an apology too, which really helped.

Which bank are you with? I'll try to find the number.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now