Talk

Advanced search

Fatty lump or lymphoma... AIBU to shit myself

(42 Posts)
mumpelstiltskin Sun 11-Feb-18 19:46:28

So on Thursday I sprouted a second face underneath my face! It's on the left hand side of my face under my jaw about the size of a golf ball.

It hurts a bit but nothing massive- but it's huge it has its own postcode and came from no where.

So I went to the GP on Friday and they prodded around and asked a few questions and said it might be a fatty lump (!) But because I fit certain criteria I've been put on the oncology pathway. I tick ✅

-random fevers (38.8 every night)
- night sweats
- itchiness at night
- breathlessness
- tiredness

My questions are;

What does a fatty lump feel like compared to lymphoma?

Is lymphoma a really bad diagnosis? They said it was very treatable with chemo. But yesterday I got a phone call from
The gp (they work weekends here- poor bastards) and I have a fine needle biopsy tomorrow morning rushed through.

I'm actually shitting myself. DH is a dr do I tell him? I mentioned the lump I mean he can clearly see it for himself!

MistyMeadow Sun 11-Feb-18 19:49:38

Oh gosh, I can't help but just wishing you well, yes definitely tell DH if you haven't already thanks

Haggisfish Sun 11-Feb-18 19:51:46

Oh gosh, I don’t know. Does it feel smooth or rough? Good that (hopefully) you will have answers soon. Any other lumps or bumps?

Note3 Sun 11-Feb-18 19:52:45

I'm sorry you're going through this.

First I'll start my reply by saying i'm not a medic, however I have hard slightly enlarged nodes under my right jaw which I've checked and which worry me most days. Due to this and having lost a close family member to non hodgkins lymphoma i have googled info over and over.

Due to you ticking the boxes you've listed, it's looking like an increased risk of being lymphoma but clearly the writing is not on the wall and there could be other explanations such as a viral illness.

If it does turn out to be lymphoma there are several kinds. The majority fairly well treatable.

You have done the right thing to have it checked quickly rather than waiting it out.

I really hope you get good news after the biopsy flowers

Babyroobs Sun 11-Feb-18 19:54:34

Lymphoma is very curable . Night sweats are indicative of Lymphoma. The fine needle biopsy will be just to establish a diagnosis. I'm surprised your husband hasn't asked what the Gp said , he must surely be concerned too ??

Note3 Sun 11-Feb-18 19:54:49

Sorry I'm now worried that my post will worry you. I am quite a logical person in the way I view things but I hope it doesn't come across wrong to you and worry you unnecesarily.

mumpelstiltskin Sun 11-Feb-18 19:55:38

It's smooth and starts below the jaw line and ends above. It's about 4 inches in diameter. No other lumps or bumps

mumpelstiltskin Sun 11-Feb-18 20:01:49

@Babyroobs he's been working the ooh shifts over nights since Thursday he finishes tomorrow morning and I've been doing long days at work as we're understaffed this weekend so we have missed each other by about 2 hours each day and I don't feel it's something I can text him.

Haggisfish Sun 11-Feb-18 20:04:21

So does dh actually know you’ve been fast tracked? I would want someone with me for results.

mumpelstiltskin Sun 11-Feb-18 20:06:09

@Haggisfish no he doesn't. He's at work now and I'm home. If it were your DH/W would you mind a phone call at work, he's have to stay there tomorrow morning to be there on time as he works in the clinic next to A&E in the building I'm going to tomorrow

PenguinsandPandas Sun 11-Feb-18 20:06:41

I couldn't say if its lymphoma or not but had a friend with stage 2 Hodgkins lymphoma treated once every 2 weeks for 3 or 6 months then completely fine and that was 10 years ago. Hope its not that but if it is his was very treatable, a terrible few months but life and soul of the party after. If your DH is a doctor definitely ask.

Babyroobs Sun 11-Feb-18 20:07:41

I'd ring him and ask him to be with you for support for the biopsy. you won't get the results immediately I don't think. Sorry you are worrying about this alone all weekend.

PenguinsandPandas Sun 11-Feb-18 20:07:55

Definitely call your DH.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sun 11-Feb-18 20:08:47

Do you know when you will get the biopsy results?

The waiting is usually the worst bit. Even if it is cancer, it feels a bit better to know than to have your imagination running wild.

You're welcome to join us on the cancer support thread while you're waiting for the results, if you'd like. There is actually a poster in a very similar situation to you at the moment.

vinobell Sun 11-Feb-18 20:09:35

is it painful at all? it could be a blocked salivary gland from where your describing, with the infection causing the other symptoms.

greathat Sun 11-Feb-18 20:10:14

If its popped up really fast I'd assume it was something not too bad... cells cant divide that fast

youngnomore Sun 11-Feb-18 20:10:35

It could also be enlarged lymph glands from illness ,infection or stress. It’s good that you’re being seen so quick.

NeilPetark Sun 11-Feb-18 20:13:03

My thoughts were atypical TB, although it doesn’t explain the itchiness. Or it could just be a virus. Either way, wishing you luck. flowers

pudcat Sun 11-Feb-18 20:15:15

Are you sure it is not just a tooth abcess? they swell up very quickly.

ISpentTheDayInBed Sun 11-Feb-18 20:20:39

I occasionally get a lump in the salivary gland which causes a lump just below my ear. It can be quite painful, and also looks very alarming. Perhaps this is what you have got

Els1e Sun 11-Feb-18 20:25:07

Go to docs ASAP. I had something similar but not to your level. After exray, mine was an extra wisdom tooth growing along the jaw bone. Op to remove it but fine since

mumpelstiltskin Sun 11-Feb-18 20:33:21

I've got no tooth pain, or jaw pain.
I've asked DH to call when he has a break. Do I just blurt it out? It's been bigger than usual for a few weeks I mean I can feel it if that makes sense but it's just exploded in the last 2 days

PenguinsandPandas Sun 11-Feb-18 20:55:46

Just tell him, you really need some RL support now, though there are some lovely ladies on the cancer support thread in general health one going through very similar.

How long have you had symptoms? Our friend had 6 months of symptoms when picked up and temps of 40. I don't know much about it though, I hope its not but at least you are in the best place if it is.

mumpelstiltskin Sun 11-Feb-18 21:22:55

I've told him. And he's asked his agency to cover his shift, they've agreed and as soon as the GP arrives to cover him he's home and he's so angry. But I should have told him thank you for telling me about the cancer support thread. Is there a link?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sun 11-Feb-18 21:26:11

Here

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: