Talk

Advanced search

To think this is very odd??(lighthearted)

(145 Posts)
ftmtb Sun 11-Feb-18 16:53:23

(Lighthearted post to prove point to OH)

My OH only ever uses a fork not a knife?? No matter what he is eating he will only ever use a fork and thinks that's completely normal, he says I'm weird for using a knife ???

Please tell me that this is weird hmm

MrTrebus Sun 11-Feb-18 16:54:29

It's common and I speak as a fellow commoner 😂

UpstartCrow Sun 11-Feb-18 16:55:17

I cut up my food on the plate in the kitchen, then sit down to eat with a fork. So ner grin

lalaloopyhead Sun 11-Feb-18 16:58:51

Somethings would be very difficult to eat without a knife surely? How does he eat a steak??

He must scoop then, rather than putting food onto the back of the fork?

I wouldn't like it but I don't suppose your DH will be too concerned out that.

JessieMcJessie Sun 11-Feb-18 17:06:40

Of course it’s odd. Does he never eat pieces of meat or vegetables, or pastry that need to be cut?

Quite a lot of americans cut up all their food into bite sized bits then swap the hand that the fork isn’t in and eat it all with the fork, but even theybstill use a knife to begin with.

What do his parents do?

JessieMcJessie Sun 11-Feb-18 17:07:40

back of the fork what now lalaloopyhead?

Ophelialovescats Sun 11-Feb-18 17:10:32

Sound a bit pre school ish !
Can't he hold a knife ?

FizzyGreenWater Sun 11-Feb-18 17:20:53

Just poor table manners.

Was 'ee dragged up?

Fekko Sun 11-Feb-18 17:22:14

Soup? Jelly?

Poshindevon Sun 11-Feb-18 17:22:50

Its not normal.
Obviously his parents did not think good manners were important and he obviously thinks the same.
American style of eating does require a knife and fork.
I could not sit in a restaurant, cafe etc with a person who refused to eat with a knife and fork.
Your OH sounds childish

Hippadippadation Sun 11-Feb-18 17:24:00

Jessie you use your knife to push your cut up food onto the back of your fork. You shouldn't use the fork as a shovel.

ftmtb Sun 11-Feb-18 17:33:09

He's not childish and was brought up well, he just finds it a lot easier to just use a fork!

Poshindevon Sun 11-Feb-18 17:52:47

OP you start off thinking its weird then you become defensive when you dint like our answers.
upstartcrow What do you do when you eat out or eat at other peoples homes. Do ask if you can go in the kitchen to cut up your food?

ladyface69 Sun 11-Feb-18 17:54:58

My DP does this as well, he's such a scrubber! All elbows as well at the table, terrible manners.

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 11-Feb-18 17:55:08

Well there's your answer then. Thread Finished.

BookHelpPlease Sun 11-Feb-18 17:56:36

Did he grow up eating dinner watching TV rather than at a table. Sounds like a child.

How does he eat steak or anything on the bone?

falsepriest Sun 11-Feb-18 17:59:40

Can imagine him rolling up a gammon steak and eating it like a sausage roll grin

ftmtb Sun 11-Feb-18 18:04:29

@Poshindevon I was answering questions... it is very weird for someone who is not childish in any other aspect and was brought up well... that was my point?

I find it weird that he finds it easier to not use a knife

FrogFairy Sun 11-Feb-18 18:08:26

Each to their own, personally I love a spork. Especially for curry and rice.

Monoblock67 Sun 11-Feb-18 18:10:26

I usually cut mine into bite size pieces then eat at table with just a fork. It’s a leftover habit from when DS’s were younger and I was BF and only had one hand free to eat if the other arm was supporting baby grin

bluemoonchances Sun 11-Feb-18 18:12:33

Haha! This post made me laugh because my hubby thinks I'm a weirdo because I always use a knife even when apparently 'normal' people only need to use a fork! gringrin

vampirethriller Sun 11-Feb-18 18:51:35

I mostly use a fork but I've got dyspraxia and make a mess with both! (left hand pretty useless)

Beamur Sun 11-Feb-18 19:14:45

Do you only eat soft food? I cannot understand how you never need to use a knife..

Julie8008 Sun 11-Feb-18 19:25:09

Knives are just for snobs to wave around and show how much better they are than the rest. Most people just cut the food with the side of the fork and impale or scoop it up.

Its always funny to watch people 'sawing' away at food with blunt dinner knives then chase food around a plate trying to push it onto a fork. Why, just why?

TroubledTribble28 Sun 11-Feb-18 22:30:57

Julie Sense at last.

How do the cutlery police suggest disabled/impaired/whatever people delicately scrape their food onto the back of a fork when they y'know can't? I envy how lacking in bigger worries your lives must be.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: