Talk

Advanced search

to ask what you grow in a conservatory?

(14 Posts)
GardenGeek Sun 11-Feb-18 14:47:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsExpo Sun 11-Feb-18 15:08:36

Nothing I’m afraid. I had visions of palms and exotic flowers when we had ours built, but the reality is that anything I try to grow either gets burned to a crisp in summer (too hot for most things), or freezes to death in the winter. I understand from a friend who is a professional gardener that the trick is constant temperature regulation, opening doors/windows to cool it in summer and heating it ( .... shock ....) in winter. I’m now used to it being a plant free zone.

meredintofpandiculation Sun 11-Feb-18 15:09:28

If it died in 48 hours, it was basically on its death bed when you put it there.

Pelargoniums are colourful, relatively trouble free, and tolerate being a bit late with the watering.
Cacti and succulents if the light is good.

Ilovechocolatetoomuch Sun 11-Feb-18 15:11:11

Mould!

GrannyGrissle Sun 11-Feb-18 15:22:37

Air plants. I am obsessed with them at the moment though yet to buy one. Fake grape trees abundant with plastic fruit? Oranges then you can grandly invite people to adjourn to the orangerie for a snifter. Take some cuttings from the glass houses at your local botanical gardens if you dare (It'd be embarrassing to get caught and barred but I like the idea of you stealthily burgling cuttings even though I have no idea who you are). Keep exotic birds in there and let them fly about or if not, a lovely butterflyarium (?). You could charge entry to this. Am very bored this afternoon can you tell?

GrannyGrissle Sun 11-Feb-18 15:24:04

... Plant grass on the floor and plant veg?

GardenGeek Sun 11-Feb-18 16:08:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dancinfeet Sun 11-Feb-18 16:24:03

Chillies, bananas, oranges. I am not an amazing gardener by any means, but think these these things all like a hotter climate?

meredintofpandiculation Sun 11-Feb-18 16:25:01

I could believe in a plant turning black overnight if it got frosted. Or burnt. But not any other way.

You could split the year into two. During the winter, use it as a cold greenhouse. Spring bulbs would do well in there, and flower a bit earlier than outside. So tubs of mini-daffs, Iris danfordiae and I reticulata, crocuses. Hyacinths for perfume. Then in the summer either annuals that like a hot climate, or just empty it out of plants.

Some cacti will do heat and cold provided they're bone dry during the cold. And they'll flower much better than on a windowsill. That white scented jasmine that you see everywhere will tolerate cold, as will pelargoniums if you keep it frost free. Chili peppers will appreciate the heat - you can get small edible ones that ripen from green through purple and yellow to red, so they look very attractive. Bit susceptible to red spider mite though.

How big is it? If huge, figs and grapes tolerate both heat and cold, provided you can supply enough water in the summer. Oranges etc can stand outside in the summer, but I find they are plagued by scale insect.

Itsthattimeagain Sun 11-Feb-18 17:07:19

My children. I grow my children in there.

DorisDangleberry Sun 11-Feb-18 17:10:06

Triffids grow well in conservatories. It helps to control their roaming characteristics.

Lanie23 Fri 16-Mar-18 21:19:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TarquinGyrfalcon Fri 16-Mar-18 21:23:07

I have orchids, cactus and a lemon tree in mine. They all thrive, my other plants tend not to like it

NewYearNewMe18 Fri 16-Mar-18 22:46:09

It's a conservatory not a greenhouse or an orangery. Think of it as a sun room with nice chairs and a reading book.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: