Talk

Advanced search

Roast dinner fuck up- please help!!

(13 Posts)
mikado1 Sun 11-Feb-18 13:15:30

Chicken veg and potatoes in oven an hour and now realise I must have turned oven when pressing buttons for timer..aibu to think it's salvageable and safe to eat??

MincemeatTart Sun 11-Feb-18 13:18:23

Check chicken is cooked with either a food thermometer. If not joint the chicken and cook in a frying pan. Potatoes will be fine.

littleducks Sun 11-Feb-18 13:18:40

Turned it off by mistake?

Of course it's salvagable. Just turn it back on as if you had a power cut or something

villainousbroodmare Sun 11-Feb-18 13:19:36

Are you saying that the food has been in a cold oven for an hour? Of course it will be fine. Just turn the oven on now. Put the chicken in the fridge and the rest covered on the side until the oven heats up.

mikado1 Sun 11-Feb-18 13:20:21

Ok thank you. I'm sure it's not cooked so have turned oven back on... but it will have been sitting for an hour in a cooling oven..

confusedhelpme Sun 11-Feb-18 13:20:42

It's fine, just cook it now

Scribblegirl Sun 11-Feb-18 13:21:23

I'd turn oven back on, cook for recommended time (not including the time oven was off). Joint it when time up. If it looks a bit pink, finish under the grill. Ditto potatoes - cut in half, if a bit hard, also stick under grill. It's what we did when the oven broke on Xmas day when we had a separate grill. Veg should be fine but can finish on the hob if you wanted to.

SpiritedLondon Sun 11-Feb-18 13:21:27

Do you mean you turned the oven off? Hmmm I’m a bit dubious about a whole chicken if it’s been sat in a warm oven for an hour cooling down the whole time. I also can’t work out what veg you were doing that was going to take the same time but I think the potatoes and veg should be salvable.

mikado1 Sun 11-Feb-18 13:22:10

Oh really? You all thinks it's fine being warmed at most for an hour? Yes sorry I messed up my op, turned it off by mistake [eyeroll]

Badgerthebodger Sun 11-Feb-18 13:23:34

Totally fine, as PP have said just cook it for the same amount of time as you should have done, ignore the time it has been in there and start from scratch

mikado1 Sun 11-Feb-18 13:26:33

I had chicken in maybe 15 mins before veg so it was then I set timer, and turned off the whole thing..

Mistydampandwet Sun 11-Feb-18 13:45:45

Bacteria can't grow that quickly just cook it properly now it's fine

mikado1 Mon 12-Feb-18 10:07:23

It was fine, thanks all. In fact the roast veg were particularly sweet after it all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: