Talk

Advanced search

People you would regard as intelligent coming across thick as (insert whatever you like here) on social media?

(11 Posts)
MandaraSugar Sun 11-Feb-18 13:03:14

So frustrating, these 'figures/statistics' that are wrong - usually to try and place migrants in a bad light.

Last week I saw a friend 'like' a picture that said: 'Share if you agree England should be ENGLISH and nothing else!' ... what does this even mean??

Or people that share photos of someone who has supposedly committed awful crimes, with no evidence this is them. Could be an innocent who is now at risk of vigilante groups; or if it is genuine and they're awaiting trial you've compromised the whole trial/committed a crime yourself by sharing.

I've also noticed a lot of 'underhand' (although not that bloody underhand) racism/prejudice, a friend's husband who i'm not FB friends with but saw as she 'liked' his status, having a dig at a Muslim colleague for praying - insinuating that he did it so he could skive off work. It was disgusting, and so many (IMO) intelligent/cultured people 'liking' it or writing comments in agreement.

KatnissK Sun 11-Feb-18 13:22:57

YANBU. I have deleted many friends and relatives off social media for this type of thing. Also any time I spot someone liking or commenting positively on rape jokes or misogynistic stuff, they are gone. Sadly, a lot of people who seem nice IRL seem to think they can get away with these things online.

Fluffyears Sun 11-Feb-18 15:35:11

I know someone who posts britainfirst shite all the time. Today it’s about not buying Easter eggs unless they say Easter on themconfused. The fact that they have always been called chocolate eggs on the packaging seems to have been missed.

ohlalalala Sun 11-Feb-18 17:26:22

Yanbu
So many stupid fuckwits sharing shite like that on fb. Makes me so angry!

Trills Sun 11-Feb-18 17:28:05

Do you mean thick as in unintelligent or do you mean bigoted?

Or both?

MrsMaxwell Sun 11-Feb-18 17:28:19

I hate it when people share missing people or someone left these keys in a park share that aren’t issued by the police.

People are so stupid not to realise perpetrators of abuse look for people trying to escape them like this.

readysteadyteddy Sun 11-Feb-18 17:34:34

I am amazed by people in the public eye, local Councillors, and the like, that post this sort of stuff. Some of these people post memes which are blatantly the opposite of everything their supposed political party stands for!

crunchymint Sun 11-Feb-18 17:36:27

I have worked with local Councillors and am not at all surprised. Some were intelligent, some were as thick as two short planks.

Notso Sun 11-Feb-18 17:52:17

MrsMaxwell I've never considered that although I never share those kind of posts because I'm never sure if they are real. I don't understand the found keys one though, could you explain.

MandaraSugar Sun 11-Feb-18 18:10:12

@Trills both!

Fluffyears Mon 12-Feb-18 20:10:24

Oh god the ‘missing’ posts. These are dangerous is someone is trying to flee a violent partner etc. I had to pull someone up ehondoesnit constantly as the guy had actually been found dead 4 months previously!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now