Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think calling friends 'my squad' is slightly bizarre?

(35 Posts)
Petitpilou Sun 11-Feb-18 08:07:44

I have noticed some women referring to their friends as 'my squad' or sometimes 'team'. AIBU to think this is a slightly bizarre way for women to refer to their group of friends?

Marylou2 Sun 11-Feb-18 08:14:02

Are the being ironic? Any use of "air quotes" ? Even my 11 year old DD and her "girl squad" use these terms lightly.

SlimeSlimeEverywhere Sun 11-Feb-18 08:14:12

It’s American. Comes from the idea that the cheerleading or other sports squad were always a great group of best mates. Which is bullshit.

My DD’s friends (year 7) go on about #squadgoals all the time. I hate it.

Petitpilou Sun 11-Feb-18 08:22:01

Hmm, I thought that it was meant to be ironic the first time but as it's used so often I am starting to wonder. It just seems bizarre when it's 30 plus year old parents

PeerieBreeks Sun 11-Feb-18 08:22:07

Never heard of that here. But then people saying 'my squad' literally means the people you go out to up helly aa with. So don't think it will catch on grin

52FestiveRoad Sun 11-Feb-18 08:22:28

My 15 year old has a 'squad' of friends. But she is 15. I would find it odd for a grown adult to use the term unless it was ironic.

RitaMills Sun 11-Feb-18 08:24:35

It’s the Taylor Swift effect with her ‘girl squad’ ok for teenagers, slightly odd for grown women.

Petitpilou Sun 11-Feb-18 08:24:50

PeerieBreeks
grin

Petitpilou Sun 11-Feb-18 08:26:14

slimesimeeverywhere

Squadgoals?

LemonShark Sun 11-Feb-18 08:27:24

"Never heard of that here. But then people saying 'my squad' literally means the people you go out to up helly aa with. So don't think it will catch on grin"

What does that mean?

YANBU OP. It's a cringeworthy term.

AdultHumanFemale Sun 11-Feb-18 08:29:54

A bit like posse?

topcat2014 Sun 11-Feb-18 08:30:07

Depends if you go around en masse, I suppose.

Personally my friends have only met each other about twice

First - at my wedding
Then - at my 40th six years ago, cries

And I am happy with that..

PeerieBreeks Sun 11-Feb-18 08:30:44

Up Helly Aa is a local festival, where groups of people (called squads) dress up in fancy dress (the main, Jarl, squad are always vikings) and do skits in various halls, while other peeps attend the halls, watch and have a dance.

RosaDeZoett Sun 11-Feb-18 08:31:15

I suppose it comes from that universal need to be part of a family or tribe? But yes, definitely more usual for (slightly insecure) teenagers. And I only mean insecure in the sense that it is a time of finding your place in the world, fitting into a tribe/crew/squad. I would think an adult using the phrase was either a little immature, insecure, or most likely being ironic.....

JeanSeberg Sun 11-Feb-18 08:34:45

www.uphellyaa.org

For those wondering what Peerie meant.

GrannyGrissle Sun 11-Feb-18 08:35:30

It's a bit like being a princess/liking unicorns/mermaids/pugs and being very vocal about your love. Fine for small children, acceptable in teens, extremely hmm in adults.

KayaG Sun 11-Feb-18 08:38:59

I've used it ironically and everyone who knows me would realise it was used that way.

tomhazard Sun 11-Feb-18 08:39:39

I would imagine it's ironic in a group of adult women!

ScootieAllan Sun 11-Feb-18 08:41:24

Yanbu, it's odd for people to use in ironically (Up Helly Aa excepted)

VioletCharlotte Sun 11-Feb-18 08:50:44

Its a kid thing they've picked up from American TV. It sounds ridiculous when adults say it.

SlimeSlimeEverywhere Sun 11-Feb-18 08:53:22

@petitpilou #squadgoals is a hashtag teens use. If you see a social media pic of great celeb friends you might comment #squadgoals. As in “my goal is to have (vain, shallow, image obsessed) friends like these”.

More worryingly it is used to enforce an ingroup/outgroup dynamic. So, for example, take a picture of you and your mates, upload it to Insta or whatever with them tagged and then say “squadgoals” as in “this is my squad and I’ve achieved my goal with these friends”. Then everyone not in the photo can see and feel really left out.

Lexjo Sun 11-Feb-18 08:56:25

I'm 30+ and I use it light heartedly, as a bit of a joke. It's harmless. I don't think adult would use it seriously. I mean, that would be hilarious, but... no. Not likely.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Sun 11-Feb-18 08:59:53

It's so cringey (and American). Just about acceptable if you are 15. A bit like saying "the girls" when you're a grown up.

FleurDeLizzie Sun 11-Feb-18 09:00:51

Never heard it in my life but then my squad's probably a bit long in the tooth.

fruityb Sun 11-Feb-18 09:03:35

It’s usually mlm sellers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: