Talk

Advanced search

To want to cry...night from hell

(93 Posts)
OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 11-Feb-18 02:05:09

Husband is away- hate him!
Earlier my 6 monthold was showing signs of teething: crying/ diarrhoea etc, so gave her some calpol
Next thing I’m waking up and I’ve thrown up three times and dashed to the loo. She’s now up and feeding on me, keeping having to put her down to dash to the bathroom. She then screams
What do I do?

MissionItsPossible Sun 11-Feb-18 02:08:59

Ahh sorry no advice, but I'm up at 2:05 too and wanted to send you some support flowers I was going to ask whether you regret the takeaway but won't

Mormont Sun 11-Feb-18 02:10:35

Put her in the for or playpen where she is safe and go and do what you have to do. She might cry but at least she's in a safe place. There's nothing else you can do really. Hope it doesn't last too long.

Funclesmuck Sun 11-Feb-18 02:13:06

Oh lovely. It’s one of the literally shit nights. Do whatever you can to make you and baby comfortable. How far away are you from the bathroom? If too far could you move to another bedroom? As for your DD screaming when you have to go puke/shit, well it’s not going to do her any harm for the time you have to put her down. flowers for you. This may seem like the longest night ever. I’m sure most of us here have been in this position at one time, doesn’t make it any better for you now I know, but you have my sympathies. Also, drink lots of water x

SashaSashays Sun 11-Feb-18 02:13:13

Make sure you stay hydrated if BF-ing and you have D&V.

I would definitely try and get her off to sleep again asap or if that won't happen put her down somewhere safe as suggested and just accept it will be a long night!

SunsetOnTheHorizon Sun 11-Feb-18 02:16:17

Not ideal. Esp whilst your DH is away. Make yourself a strong cup of tea or some water to keep your fluids up esp with baby feeding.

Put some calming music on to get you to relax and if you need to vom then put baby down in a safe place, wash up and contiune. It will be light soon....

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 11-Feb-18 02:18:52

Baby’s in her cot- I assume she’s not feeling great, been on and off feeding for a couple of hours, but that could be because I keep cutting her off to go throw up. She’s not being sick and no temp so leaving her be, so I don’t throw up on her.
Thanks all- this is just awful!

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 11-Feb-18 02:20:33

How "away" is DH? And what is he away for?

Unless he is on the other side of the world I think you need to get him home. A 6 month old and a mother wtih D&V counts as a domestic emergency.

Chocywockydodahhhhhh Sun 11-Feb-18 02:20:53

When is he back Op. I know being ill when you are on your own with an unhappy child who doesn’t want to be put down is the pits. Do you have parents or inlaws who could take your LO tomorrow for a bit?
When is your husband back?
I promise the night will end and in a few weeks it will just be a memory and you will feel pride you for through it

Josieannathe2nd Sun 11-Feb-18 02:20:56

Oh poor you. You just have to get through it one minute at a time. Hopefully if your babies had calpol she’ll sleep more for the rest of the night and you can be sick in peace! Have small sips of fluids. Try not to be sick on your baby...and be glad they’re not crawling and following you... anyone you can call in the morning to help or will your husband be home? Xx

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 11-Feb-18 02:22:48

The bastard is in Brazil on a boys trip (that’s a whole other thread, AIBU to divorce)
Back on Thursday.
I have family locally, hopefully they can take DC tomoRrow as long as she’s not also ill.

Plumsofwrath Sun 11-Feb-18 02:23:58

Oh you poor thing. Sounds rubbish.
No practical advice but I read on here once years ago when I was going through the mill with DC2 as a baby, that everything seems worse in the middle of the night. And it’s so true. Somehow, during the day with life going as normal when you’re meant to be awake, the exact same things don’t bother you so much. I took comfort from that, maybe it’ll give you some too.
Good luck! (Chew some gum/suck a minty boiled sweet if you have any. Tends to help when I vomit).

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 11-Feb-18 02:28:07

AYBU to tear the selfish fucker a new one for going halfway around the world like a single man when he has a wife and 6 month old at home? No you are not.

The fact that this has happened may actually be a good thing in the long run. He needs to be told , by others as well as you, that his selfishness has to stop and this is the perfect example of where his priorities should like and why.

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 11-Feb-18 02:28:14

*lie

Chocywockydodahhhhhh Sun 11-Feb-18 02:28:37

Ah so he is literary on the other side of the world- bugger
Even if you don’t think your DC can leave the house tomorrow ask someone if they can come and entertain her for a bit whilst you get some sleep and then if she is more settled see if they will take her for a day later in the week.

pallisers Sun 11-Feb-18 02:31:50

God I remember that happening me 20 years ago. Got food poisoning from some chicken wings when ds was 6 months old (whole foods). I threw up all night long in between trying to feed/sooth the baby. DH was at work (if he was in brazil at a boys away thing I may have killed him). It was horrendous. I also had to sterilise myself after each throwing up bout so I didn't give it to the baby. Horrendous night and horrendous next day tbh (I was dealing with a dh who also hadn't slept all night and we had a friend staying too - I thought I was going to collapse from exhaustion the next day).

Text your dh to say he owes you. If you can at all get someone to mind baby tomorrow so you can sleep. Poor you

dontticklethetoad Sun 11-Feb-18 02:36:17

Could you make dc a bed on the bathroom floor? Leave the door open with the landing light on?
I have had to do this more than once!

If you can manage to make yourself a big bottle/cup of Luke warm water, your body will absorb it much more easily than cold (which will go straight through you).

AnnieAnoniMouse Sun 11-Feb-18 02:36:53

I’m sorry you feel so I’ll, any idea what has caused it?

I wouldn’t ask anyone to have DD tomorrow, you might pass on your bug via her, and if she’s not feeling 100% she’ll need you. I’d just get comfy somewhere safe for her to play and do the very minimal possible all day tomorrow.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 11-Feb-18 02:51:39

Just threw up whilst on the loo- this is awful. Baby has woken up, do I try her on calpol? This is unlike her, do we think she’s ill too?

TheButterflyOfTheStorms Sun 11-Feb-18 02:53:57

Could you make dc a bed on the bathroom floor? Leave the door open with the landing light on?

This is what I would do. Bowls everywhere. Nest for you, pull her cot to the bathroom or changing mat and sleep sack for her.

Is she hot?

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 11-Feb-18 02:55:42

Tbh I barely have energy to stand, let alone move a cot. Bathroom is three feet from my bedroom so that’s ok. Pls pls pls don’t let this be fly, a 24hr virus I can live with.
Ok so I’m now throwing up water, do I still keep trying to drink?

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 11-Feb-18 02:56:20

She’s gone back to sleep- may have just cried because I’m not there

TheButterflyOfTheStorms Sun 11-Feb-18 02:58:08

Ok so I’m now throwing up water, do I still keep trying to drink?

Suck/chew ice? Keeps you hydrated but not chucking.

So sorry...

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 11-Feb-18 03:05:24

Ok trying ice - thank u

LanguidLobster Sun 11-Feb-18 03:06:25

For the next few hours I'd make a temporary home for both of you in the bathroom. Try to move her cot. It's likely to pass but you need some rest, wrap up in your duvet.

TBH when I've had d&v before I've just wrapped up and stayed as close to the toilet as possible.

Hope it clears soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now