Talk

Advanced search

to ask you if I am missing something here?

(30 Posts)
Curlywurlyquerly Sat 10-Feb-18 22:47:20

I run a charity as a volunteer alongside four other people. We have been approached by a well-known high street mid-range beauty brand to hold a "fundraising event" in their shop.

Apparently "all we have to do" is invite along 50 people who they will charge £15 each to give demonstrations of their products to, and a goody bag worth at least £10. They will offer "refreshments," and they will then offer attendees a discount of 10% off all their products at the end.

Am I being completely stupid to not recognise how this is a fundraising event for our charity and not just a chance for them to find 50 new customers who they will push sales on to at the end?

The manager at the shop is apparently "gobsmacked" that I would "look a gift horse in the mouth."

Am I really missing something? Do they think that after paying their ticket money and probably being pushed into buying a product, the attendees who we generated ourselves will then donate to us?

TheQueenOfWands Sat 10-Feb-18 22:48:53

Do you get the extra fiver?

jacobsgirl Sat 10-Feb-18 22:49:10

I'm in the same boat ?

What's in it for you guys - charity donations wise ? Are they giving you a percentage of takings or ? What money goes to the charity

Twinkleheth Sat 10-Feb-18 22:49:45

Are they donating the £15 charge to your charity?

seven201 Sat 10-Feb-18 22:49:45

Are you given some or all of the ticket fee (and just didn't realise)? Otherwise I really don't get it either!

RNBrie Sat 10-Feb-18 22:50:08

Are you getting a cut of the ticket price?!

Curlywurlyquerly Sat 10-Feb-18 22:50:47

No percentage of takings. Just apparently a chance for us to invite people to their shop!
Maybe they're expecting us to go round with a bucket or something? But we could do that in Sainsburys without getting people to have paid £15 and bought a product before we ask.

Curlywurlyquerly Sat 10-Feb-18 22:51:06

getting none of the ticket fee

Aquamarine1029 Sat 10-Feb-18 22:52:20

The manager is "gobsmacked" her bullshit ploy didn't fool you into buying in to this shite.

dorolee Sat 10-Feb-18 22:52:50

That sounds utterly bizarre - did the manager say if other charities had taken up this offer before?

Forgeteverythingandremember Sat 10-Feb-18 22:53:34

Have you asked her what she sees as the benefit to your charity?

flumpybear Sat 10-Feb-18 22:53:43

Sorry, they mask their sales pitch as a charity thing ... and you get fuck all

Nope!!

Tell them £15 a ticket and £10 goes to your charity

flowery Sat 10-Feb-18 22:55:33

How odd. So people pay £15 for a gift bag of stuff they didn’t choose and the opportunity to hear a sales pitch?

And the charity gets none of that money?

I’m struggling to see how it’s a fundraising event and also why any of the invitees would find it remotely tempting.

You risk damaging your credibility with your donors if you “invite” them to this.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Sat 10-Feb-18 22:59:35

If I’d paid £15 to get £10 worth of stuff that wouldn’t suit my skin tone and some crisps I’d be very unimpressed if the charity I thought I was supporting went around with a bucket.

StorminaBcup Sat 10-Feb-18 23:00:36

Four of you have to invite 50 people to pay £15 for a sales pitch and they receive a £10 goody bag?! That’s a terrible pitch without tagging the charity association on to it.

MrsPestilence Sat 10-Feb-18 23:13:28

I'd be tempted to pat the store manager on the head and move on. Unless your charity is one that supports failing High Street stores.

BestZebbie Sat 10-Feb-18 23:19:13

Is it possible that the idea is that you use them as a venue to hold a presentation/AGM/speeches etc about your ocharity to your captive audience and your donations are generated later on as a result of building up relationships with these individuals, instead of rattling a tin on the day?
I wouldn't bother, though. if you want to do the above, charge £15 yourself, book a conference centre and caterer and avoid the awkward/distracting hard beauty sell.

Qvar Sat 10-Feb-18 23:23:37

NO.

They are attempting to hack into people's good will towards your charity and are in fact simply profiteering from your good name

Flomy Sat 10-Feb-18 23:26:15

confused Its bloody weird

AlpacaLypse Sat 10-Feb-18 23:30:34

Definitely thanks but no thanks... However you could filch their profiteering idea and set up your own evening event, inviting a couple of their competitors along but setting the rules yourself?

Dagnabit Sat 10-Feb-18 23:39:42

Sounds like an MLM!! You say High Steet store but I would give this one a swerve...

KatharinaRosalie Sat 10-Feb-18 23:39:48

So which part is supposed to be the fundraising? The shop understands you're raising funds for the charity, not the shop, yes?

DonkeyOil Sat 10-Feb-18 23:42:29

I'd be tempted to pat the store manager on the head and move on. Unless your charity is one that supports failing High Street stores

This made me laugh! grin

Ginkypig Sat 10-Feb-18 23:46:27

Personally I'd name the shop on here!

SpitefulMidLifeAnimal Sun 11-Feb-18 00:03:54

Body Shop at Home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now