Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect a refund from Tesco?

(24 Posts)
Funkyslippers Sat 10-Feb-18 20:46:24

Bought a Vue giftcard from Tesco as they currently have 15% off and was going to cinema today. Tried to buy tickets @ cinema with giftcard to find it hadn't been activated by the Tesco staff. Cue embarrassment as I had to borrow money off friend in order to pay for the tickets (I was going to pay for both tickets with the giftcard).

So WIBU to expect Tesco to not only ensure the card is now activated, but to refund the cost of the cinema tickets for the inconvenience? It means another trip to Tesco which is going to take about an hour in total. They obviously won't be able to do anything over the phone.

Thanks

Battleax Sat 10-Feb-18 20:48:26

Might as well try for an extra. Tweet them.

hungryhenryshouldeatelsewhere Sat 10-Feb-18 20:48:33

If you ring them they might post you an activated gift card

Bellybootcut Sat 10-Feb-18 20:49:07

If you have your receipt they will certainly activate it. Alternatively you could push for a refund of the card. I don't think they are liable for your cinema tickets though. They may be able to organise it by email if you scan the card and receipt so you don't have to visit.

Glitterkitten24 Sat 10-Feb-18 20:52:32

Does it say anything on the back of the card about how loony it takes to activate? I work in retail and people buy cards for our store all the time that take up to 24 hours to activate, without realising.

If that’s not the case and Tesco I’ve just arsed it up and not activated your card, yes I’d expect a refund.

PollyMycroft Sat 10-Feb-18 21:14:26

Tesco customer services are shocking. Twice this year I have had to deal with them-both times I was recompensed for their error but it took a lot of effort on my part. They should refund. Anything more will require a will of steel on your part from my experience.

Yukbuck Sat 10-Feb-18 21:24:22

I would just ask for the money of the gift card to be refunded to you.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 10-Feb-18 21:29:56

Tesco used to refund twice the difference if they made a mistake. i.e. once got charged £10 instead of £5 for a pair of kids trousers and the refunded the £5 they owed me plus another £5 so ended up with free trousers. That was definitely policy at the time but it was many years ago.

House4 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:32:48

I would ring them and get them them to activate it over the phone and get some compensation for the hassle!

GetShitDone Sat 10-Feb-18 21:34:50

You bought it same day? I think it needs to be overnight for them to activate, it's not usually immediate.

implantsandaDyson Sat 10-Feb-18 21:35:39

As glitterkitten mentioned what was the time elapse between buying the card and trying to redeem it?

ImNotDancing Sat 10-Feb-18 21:42:42

if you're gonna ring, ring customer services not the store. the store will be able to do very little

Areyouactuallykiddingme Sat 10-Feb-18 21:45:00

It does state under FAQ's that cards ordered online are activated 24 hours after they've been dispatched, so it's likely they take 24 hours after in-store purchases too.

VerityMay Sat 10-Feb-18 21:50:23

We had this problem with an Argos giftcard that my son was given as a birthday present from a friend. It worked a few days later, hope yours does too.

Justalittlelemondrizzle Sat 10-Feb-18 21:58:47

I work for tesco. You should have received a gift card receipt with it, which will either say that activation was or wasn't successful. If you didn't receive this then the cashier has probably scanned the wrong barcode.

AlpacaLypse Sat 10-Feb-18 22:15:23

It really depends on which store you go to. My local Small Town size Tesco bend over backwards to be helpful. The mahoosive Extra size one in Big Town 15 miles away are as obstructive and as unhelpful as possible every time I've needed to speak to them about anything to do with customer services.

Bettybettybettybetty Sat 10-Feb-18 22:20:08

Do you have a receipt? If not you’ve no chance as anyone could just steal one off the shelf and claim it is inactivated. When did you buy it.

Allthewaves Sat 10-Feb-18 22:48:00

I always get speedy response by email when they mess up my click and collect orders

FingersCrossedHard Sat 10-Feb-18 22:50:00

They're not going to give you cash compensation - no chance.

They may well offer you a Tesco gift voucher though.

Funkyslippers Sun 11-Feb-18 17:28:43

I've checked the smallprint and it says it can be used once activated. Nothing about waiting 24 hours. I still have the receipt so I will be going in at my next opportunity - it's a small Tesco so hopefully they will be helpful. I expect more than just for them to activate it considering the inconvenience

Noodledoodledoo Sun 11-Feb-18 17:43:43

I had this for my sisters Birthday present gift card for Oasis, sadly she had waited a while to use it and they refused to do anything.

Idontevencareanymore Sun 11-Feb-18 17:48:34

You should have been told it's 24 hours after payment to ensure its activated.
Little to nothing they can do I'm afraid as that's policy. Even Tesco ones come with policy.

Uhuhhoney Sun 11-Feb-18 18:03:58

I used to work at Tesco. There's no way you would've been charged without the card being activated. Scanning the barcode brings up the item cost to "£0.00" until you type in the activation code successfully. If youve been charged id be demanding a refund but not sure how far youll get tbh

Uhuhhoney Sun 11-Feb-18 18:04:56

I fact i seem to remember they can't be funded...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: