Talk

Advanced search

To panic about DDs weight anxiety?

(8 Posts)
LyannaStarktheWolfMaid Sat 10-Feb-18 20:02:16

My beautiful, strong, healthy 6 year old daughter has been in tears twice this last week because she says she has ‘chubby legs’. This would be an issue no matter what her physique but she’s actually tall, willowy and athletic, and not remotely chubby at all! I don’t know where she has got this idea from and I don’t really know what to say. I have told her that she is perfect and not one inch of her needs to change, but she is still upset. I am at a loss and feel so sad that she would be so self critical at such a young age.

MsVestibule Sat 10-Feb-18 21:04:24

But she must know where she got the idea that she's chubby? Does she use the internet unsupervised or have her school friends been discussing weight?

No point at all in panicking - I've been conscious of my weight since I was her age, and, apart from my constant stressing about being over fat being a complete PITA for me I haven't developed bulimia or anorexia nervosa. Or actually been overweight.

bridgetreilly Sat 10-Feb-18 21:27:45

That's awful. But please do try to reinforce the message that she's perfect as she is WITHOUT making her think that if she were chubby, that would be a problem.

NoSquirrels Sat 10-Feb-18 21:30:33

What does she say when you ask her why she thinks that?

InToMyHeart Sat 10-Feb-18 21:38:42

This sounds like someone has said it to her. Maybe keep an eye on who she interacts with, have a word with her teacher to check she's not being bullied by someone who has said it.

LyannaStarktheWolfMaid Sun 11-Feb-18 00:13:24

This is good advice, thank you. She has said she doesn’t know where the idea came from, and there no one has said anything. I will speak to the teacher.

Leeds2 Sun 11-Feb-18 00:58:25

I would think someone at school has said something.

Where is she on the BMI charts? Could you show that to her and "prove" that she is on the perfectly acceptable levels? I don't know if that would be OK for a 6 year old.

Bambamber Sun 11-Feb-18 01:22:33

I read a nice idea once about writing compliments on little bits of paper and folding then up and placing them in a nice jar. Just simple things like 'You have a beautiful smile' or 'You're kind'. And every day get your child to pick a piece of paper at random so they get a different random compliment everyday. I plan to do it for my daughter when she's older

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: