Talk

Advanced search

Or is my neighbour?

(44 Posts)
Herculesupatree Sat 10-Feb-18 19:59:28

Fence blew down on Xmas day, broken fenceposts so couldn't put it back up easily.

Really hard to get trades round here to even quote to do work let alone turn up and actually do the job for a reasonable price. I'm in the south east. After being let down by one person finally found someone to come and fix it next week.

Went round to tell neighbour the day and they had a go at me about how long it had been and how inconvenient it's been for them. It's been just under 6 weeks not including the festive period. I don't think that's such long time given the weather and availability of trades to get quotes and arrange someone to come round.

Having said that, I'm fairly new to home ownership so don't know what's expected!

AIBU for it to have taken this long of is my neighbour being a bit U?!

Aquamarine1029 Sat 10-Feb-18 20:00:54

Why has this been such an inconvenience for them?

Bluedoglead Sat 10-Feb-18 20:00:55

If they wanted a fence they could have put one up on their side of the boundary ...

Ragusa Sat 10-Feb-18 20:01:41

Yeah it's definitely them. Who says nothing and then ballaches when it is getting fixed. I am guessing they have a dog. There was nothing to stop them erecting a fence on their side. Smile and nod, smile and nod. Kill them with kindness and avoid them like the plague from now on

Nomorechickens Sat 10-Feb-18 20:06:42

You are being completely reasonable. Neighbour could have discussed it earlier, offered to help find someone to fix it, if it was bothering them. Some people wouldn't bother to fix it at all or would put up wire netting.

Herculesupatree Sat 10-Feb-18 20:09:32

They don't have a dog, I'm not sure why it's been inconvenient to be honest, something to do with walking past the broken fence as they have a path next to it but it's not in their way just not as private as normal...

Ragusa Sat 10-Feb-18 20:11:15

In that case it is just them being Tits. You can safely ignore.

NoSquirrels Sat 10-Feb-18 20:11:36

Eh, ignore. You’re getting it fixed- you could be rather more inconsiderate so they’re just whingeing!

BarbaraOcumbungles Sat 10-Feb-18 20:11:49

You are under no obligation to install a fence. Your neighbour can install his own fence if he's that bothere.

MachineBee Sat 10-Feb-18 20:15:38

Are you sure it’s your fence? They may be going on the offensive in case they’re asked to pay some or all of it. grin

And no, YANBU, six weeks is pretty good to get a fence repaired, especially in the SE. After the storms 4 years ago it took us 5 months to get our fence done!

FarmerSee Sat 10-Feb-18 20:17:16

Neighbour is being a dick. I mean, what if you just couldnt afford to do it until now? And as the weather has been awful causing lots of damage to peoples properties and boundaries, trades people to do these kinds of repairs are in high demand and you just have to wait your turn.

If there's no pets that can escape into your garden I'm really not sure what they have an issue with. It's winter so it's not like they want to go out into their garden and sunbathe in privacy.

Ignore them. Whingeing purely for the sake of it.

Tistheseason17 Sat 10-Feb-18 20:18:30

Have you checked your deeds for ownership of the boundary that side?
Btw - YANBU 😊

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Sat 10-Feb-18 20:19:15

Agree with Aquamarine - don't understand why it's been an inconvenience to them? If it's a child/children/animal related issue - not your responsibility.
Boundary fence - are you sure it's yours - before you go to the expense of repairing/replacing it?

Eltonjohnssyrup Sat 10-Feb-18 20:20:53

I think it would probably have been polite to talk to them at least once between then and now to let them know what was going on and that you had it in hand.

brizzledrizzle Sat 10-Feb-18 20:23:13

YABU, they have lost their privacy. I'd be annoyed if my neighbour's didn't fix their fence quickly - 6 weeks is far too long.

PurpleRobe Sat 10-Feb-18 20:25:06

I would have expected it to be fixed within 3 weeks tbf

rowdywoman1 Sat 10-Feb-18 20:27:07

I'd just be grateful that you were fixing it OP. Smile and kill them with kindness. There's no pleasing some folk smile

NewYearNewMe18 Sat 10-Feb-18 20:28:12

I suppose its possible they would like their garden enclosed again. If its your boundary, why should they pay to have a fence put their land, losing (I know its will only be inches) of use and enjoyment. Perhaps they want to start putting plants in and don't want workmen trampling all over their garden.

I'm afraid as you can see the lovely ladies of MN will tell you to tell your neighbours to go whistle, all the while forgetting they don't have to live next door to a brewing neighbour dispute.

O/T cant your house insurance deal with it?

PushMyButton Sat 10-Feb-18 20:29:52

I think this thread needs a diagram....

grin

Herculesupatree Sat 10-Feb-18 20:30:18

Unfortunately the deeds don't say re responsibility. Our neighbours the other side agree they are responsible for the other fence so I think it's fair enough that we sort it out.

I suppose next time we will hopefully be able to go straight to the people I've found now so it would be quicker!

slithytove Sat 10-Feb-18 20:30:19

Once ours blew down in parts - about 4 panels and they were completely shattered as were the posts. We had to wait until we could afford to repair it and it took months to save up.

I’d have been gutted if our neighbours had a go at us when we were trying our best. As it was, they came out when we were repairing them and helped us cement the posts in and get the panels on straight.

NotReadyToMove Sat 10-Feb-18 20:30:59

Well if they thought 6 weeks was too long and valued their privacy so much, they could have brought someone in and have a fence installed just a few inches into their own garden.....

Or they could have talked to the OP and explained it was an issue for them and see if they could help.

NoSquirrels Sat 10-Feb-18 20:33:45

I don’t at all think the OP should tell her neighbours to “go whistle”, nor that they shouldn’t re-erect a fence that’s blown down.

I just think that complaining about how long it’s taken when it’s about to get fixed, if you’ve never said the length of time or lack of fence was inconveniencing you - in January/February, when most people aren’t sitting out in their gardens - is just whingeing and can safely be ignored!

HolyShmoly Sat 10-Feb-18 20:35:31

I would put the post side of the fence on their side just for being knobs.

kaitlinktm Sat 10-Feb-18 20:36:27

Yeah - they ABU - my fence panels were down for some weeks when they blew out over Christmas - didn't have the money to do them until the end of January. If the neighbours had come round I would have just told them this - I will fix it after pay day or whenever.

Once I had some blown down (I live in quite an exposed spot) and the neighbour insisted that I replaced not only the one between us but another one on the other side of my garden - he said it was causing a wind tunnel hmm Against my better judgement I did (was going to wait until the windy weather had gone) and the very next day it blew out again and I had to buy another one. This was a few years ago and he has never been round about the fence since - just let him dare! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: