Talk

Advanced search

Parking one

(19 Posts)
whosright Sat 10-Feb-18 19:12:24

At the supermarket today it was busy (obvs) and there were no p&c spaces free. I had toddler dc in his car seat which is a bugger to get him out of without the extra space of a p&c
After driving round twice I spotted someone in one, loading up the car so I patiently waited.
As they came out, someone overtook me and pulled into the space.
I beeped twice but she ignored me.
So I got out and said that I'd been waiting ages for that space.
She said that I didn't have my indicators on, and she's just passed her test and wasn't moving.
She had an older child in the front seat, no baby or toddler!

Am I in the wrong for not indicating? I usually would but today wasn't thinking straight.
To me it was obvious why I was waiting there

TheSnowFairy Sat 10-Feb-18 19:33:57

Sorry op, I'd have thought you were waiting for someone, not a parking space.

However, I probably would have pulled alongside you and asked if you were waiting...but I can see why she didn't.

toolonglurking Sat 10-Feb-18 20:20:09

Yes you should have been indicating, if have assumed you were waiting for someone too.
In any situation you need to let other drivers know what you intend to do.

Howdydoodyfolks Sat 10-Feb-18 20:26:58

Really annoying for you I can imagine. She should have had the manners to move when you told her you were waiting, but I can understand her not realising you were waiting for the space if you didnt indicate.

rothbury Sat 10-Feb-18 20:31:37

YABU if you weren't indicating.

ChasedByBees Sat 10-Feb-18 20:32:51

She was rude. I would have thought t was obvious.

seasidelife Sat 10-Feb-18 20:34:37

Tbh if I hadn't realised that someone was waiting for the space and I had essentially barged in front them I would move, especially if their need was greater than mine. But I'm really picky over parking spaces and tend to park as far from other humans as possible (because I'm fairly rubbish at it)

londonrach Sat 10-Feb-18 20:40:11

Yabu. Use your indicators. My pet hate. How on earth is another driver to know what you want to do to know unless you them. Basic driving lesson. You fail if you did another driving test op. Simples. (Might have had a farm car and trailer not signal and pull straight across our path today and very grateful for breaks). If you were indicating she as rude and in the wrong. You lost everything by not putting your indicators on.

emmyrose2000 Sat 10-Feb-18 20:44:04

YABU

Of course you should've indicated. Other drivers aren't mind readers.

VandelayIndustries Sat 10-Feb-18 20:48:43

I’d have thought you were waiting for a space but not that space as it’s a P&C one and I would have overtaken you and I’d have gone in the space.

Ihatemarmite123 Sat 10-Feb-18 20:50:27

If you don't make it obvious you are waiting she probably thought you weren't.

I've had some come knock on my window because they perceive the space to be there's. I would not have moved. Yabu.

Use an indicator

Leiaorganashair Sat 10-Feb-18 21:11:43

As discussed on these threads before those spaces are for parents with children aged 12 and under. So it sounds like she had just as much right as you.

If you don't have your indicators on, it looks like you're waiting. YABU

Leiaorganashair Sat 10-Feb-18 21:18:18

Sorry, should have worded that better. No indicators suggest waiting for someone to come out of the shop or hovering for a non PandC space. Indicators= waiting for the space next to you.

whosright Sun 11-Feb-18 12:18:07

Point taken. I think it was pretty obvious why I was there especially when I beeped but I have no argument if not indicating.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-Feb-18 12:53:37

You have no idea of the bigger picture. Her partner and baby could have been inside the store or well, anything really.
Indicating would have shown your intention. Beeping was a bit pointless.

Shopping at the weekend with young children in tow is grim though, for everyone.

Dancingfairy Sun 11-Feb-18 13:40:30

I don't think yabu.

paxillin Sun 11-Feb-18 13:44:41

You are way too sensible, OP. P&C parking threads are traditionally done by the furiously fuming.

Eliza9917 Sun 11-Feb-18 13:51:16

YABU for having a car seat that you can't get your DC out of in a normal space. What do you do if you go somewhere that doesn't have them? Maybe you could have done that today.

sparklybiddlyboo Sun 11-Feb-18 18:48:25

Park miles away or on the end of a row or next to a path, which is what I later did. It wasn't about it being a p&c space, it was about nicking the one I was waiting for.
I didn't even think about her not having a child that needed more space til later.
Her and the older child walked off in the opposite direction to the store entrance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now