Talk

Advanced search

To buy DD a CD player?

(71 Posts)
AjasLipstick Sat 10-Feb-18 12:59:57

She wants something to play music on but has a reputation for losing smaller devices.

She's about to turn 10 and I thought about an MP3 but I hate downloading things...I find it confusing!

We're in Oz and I have seen some nice, retro looking CD players and I could buy her a few CDs to go with it...and they're cheap and easy to pick up in charity shops too.

Is it a bad idea?

AjasLipstick Sat 10-Feb-18 13:02:22

I should add....she has a tablet and my mind thinks "Just listen to music on that!" hmm

NotSoSprightly Sat 10-Feb-18 13:03:17

Why would this possibly be a bad idea? I'm really confused.

MissionItsPossible Sat 10-Feb-18 13:03:19

Does modern music still get released on CDs now? I'd just stick with the tablet, get an app(s) and download

MickeyLuv Sat 10-Feb-18 13:03:52

Yes, I think it is. Who has a CD player these days? Will she get laughed at by the other kids? CDs from charity shops are not likely to be current, are they?

Your daughter is probably better placed to download music to an MP3 player, kids of that age have been bought up with technology.

MickeyLuv Sat 10-Feb-18 13:04:28

Just seen the update re the tablet, get her a bluetooth speaker and she can play music through that via her tablet.

Bluntness100 Sat 10-Feb-18 13:04:42

Well that's an expensive and rather old school way to do things.

I wouldn't. Just learn to download music. I'm bemused you find it confusing.

megletthesecond Sat 10-Feb-18 13:05:21

Yanbu. Mine have CD players. Second-hand cds are cheap as chips and I buy story cds from charity shops. They can download music when they're teens.

Shalva1970 Sat 10-Feb-18 13:05:39

Min thinking off buying one for my kids (under 6 though) there’s something about putting on a cd, looking at the cover, listening to the whole album that’s much nicer than the skipping through 100’s of tracks.

katcatkat Sat 10-Feb-18 13:07:17

My dd has a CD player that also works as a Bluetooth speaker and it's great best of both worlds.

allegretto Sat 10-Feb-18 13:07:58

My DD has one (admittedly an old one that we had had for ages) and we have hundreds of cds which she enjoys picking between.

TenancyTroublesAgain Sat 10-Feb-18 13:13:09

CDs are still released. Taylor Swift, P!nk etc are all in the shops.

kmc1111 Sat 10-Feb-18 13:15:07

If we're talking Walkman then god no. That would have been embarrassing a decade ago let alone now.

If she's 10 I imagine she has her own taste in music that charity shop finds are very unlikely to satisfy. Buying CD's will cost far more than just setting her up with a streaming account and a bluetooth speaker.

Olivo Sat 10-Feb-18 13:17:18

My Dd has a CD player. We have all our old cds, plus she looks in charity shops, car boot sales. Also, it means she can borrow audio books form the library, which she loves. Hers is retro too..........only because it is my very old one!

UserSnoozer Sat 10-Feb-18 13:20:10

CD player definitely. Then when she's older she can play the CDs in her car and reminisce over her collection from when she's younger

AjasLipstick Sat 10-Feb-18 13:20:38

Mickey I doubt DD or I would give a shite if other kids laughed! Her mates aren't exactly tech savvy...she's the only one with a tablet!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I might look into the bluetooth speaker idea.

missyB1 Sat 10-Feb-18 13:22:16

my ds age 9 got a CD player for Christmas, he loves it! It also has a usb port so we can still download some music for him if he wants us too.

Funko Sat 10-Feb-18 14:52:56

Don't most people have Spotify these days or amazon/Apple Music?

I haven't played a cd in years.

Most things are on Spotify. Basic account is free but with adverts. Single accounts payable cheap monthly with no adverts or family account with several log ins. I pay £14 a month for family account. My DS is on it constantly.

Links with Alexa. Stream to blue tooth speakers or plug phone, iPad, laptop into any external speakers.

You can create playlists and listen to radio through Spotify too.

No brainier for me...

Funko Sat 10-Feb-18 14:54:27

Oh and with a paid Spotify account you can download the tracks to the device for when you have no WiFi/data. You still have to play through the app though.

MrsJayy Sat 10-Feb-18 14:55:59

Of course you can still buy CDs not everybody downloads music my Dds are tech savy but have cds in their cars. buy it op and think nothing else about it.

Oysterbabe Sat 10-Feb-18 14:58:12

I'd get an MP3 player and learn how download music. It really isn't difficult.

missyB1 Sat 10-Feb-18 15:00:57

I have to say my ds uses his CD player for audio books too, which he listens to when he’s in bed.

Notso Sat 10-Feb-18 15:05:14

All my kids have CD players, DD also has a record player and a huge record collection. I hadn't realised this was out of the ordinary.

Snowysky20009 Sat 10-Feb-18 15:08:12

Buy an Amazon Echo or dot.

MongerTruffle Sat 10-Feb-18 15:11:35

Can she not listen to music on her tablet?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: