Talk

Advanced search

To insist on it?

(9 Posts)
Lovestonap Sat 10-Feb-18 10:35:55

Currently doing a favour for an acquaintance (our babysitter) she's had a run of bad luck and break down in relationship and has had to move back to her parent's house for a while. She wasn't able to take her cat so we have offered to care for it in the meantime.

So far so good, it's quite a sweet cat and is getting on fine with our own cat.

It's an indoor cat, whereas our cat is an outdoor cat. Of course we will keep it in as far as we are able to, but it is increasingly showing interest in the doors and has started trying to follow when we let our own cat out (we don't have a cat flap).

Cat 2 isn't chipped. Previously it lived in a flat and I can understand why she didn't bother, however we have people and kids in and out of house all day and I'm really worried that her cat may escape. It's a black and white cat, not very distinctive and let's face it, a black and white cat with no chip outside for first time will easily get lost.

I asked my DH yesterday to ask her about getting it chipped, but apparently she replied "there's no point, she doesn't like the outside".

Aibu to think she's being a bit daft, and that I should insist on it being chipped as if/when it escapes and gets lost I'm going to feel responsible? Should I offer to pay for it to be chipped?

I will of course try and keep it in but accidents happen!

hannahintheworks Sat 10-Feb-18 10:45:07

I thought it was now a legal requirement for them to be chipped? Also I would be clear to her that her cat is interested in going outside. That way if it does escape you have given her fair warning. You are right, the chances of finding a black and white unchipped car are minimal. Especially when the cat will have no idea of where it is or how to get Home.

Red2017 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:45:29

I would explain to her that her cat is increasingly showing interest in the outdoors and that you are worried the cat may run out when letting your cat out.

both of my cats were indoor cats but my female cat would run out if she ever got the opportunity ... I once lost her, i searches everuwhwre for her, turns out she was on top of the house. I had to climb up there to get her down grin

I don't think you should insist on paying as it isn't your cat and you are doing her a favour.

Red2017 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:46:15

*searched everywhere

Dancingfairy Sat 10-Feb-18 10:51:23

Pretty sure it's only a legal requirement for dogs.

Lovestonap Sat 10-Feb-18 17:45:29

yeah we did tell her that the cat was interested in going outside - she thinks because she's taken it for a walk on a lead once (!?) and it didn't enjoy it that it won't go outside.

Maybe I should try explaining that it's not actually a dog......

MsSquiz Sat 10-Feb-18 17:57:46

I have 2 house cats and they are both chipped, just in case they were to get out unexpectedly or if they were stolen. It was just common sense for me to get them chipped.
My 2 go out occasionally wearing a harness and a leash and do seem to "understand" that they only go outside with the harness on (by that I mean they have never tried to run out of the back door, but when they have their harnesses on and the door is open, they head straight out)

I would recommend getting the cat chipped "just in case" as the last thing you want is for the cat to escape and possibly have little chance of getting it back

Blackteadrinker77 Sat 10-Feb-18 17:58:26

Can you not just ring her and say that the cat is wanting to go outside and you're concerned?

Lovestonap Sat 10-Feb-18 18:03:42

to be clear yesterday (when she came over to babysit and spend time with her cat) my husband told her that he thought she should get the cat chipped because it was showing signs of interest in going outside and there is always the risk that one of the kids leaves the door open etc.

With that information she said no I won't bother my cat doesn't like outside.

It's this that causes me the worry - if the cat gets lost I'll feel guilty!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: