Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to improve my face.

(25 Posts)
Deshasafraisy Fri 09-Feb-18 23:29:32

The past few months have been really hard, emotionally draining. It’s taken it’s toll on my face. I’ve aged a lot and look really shit all of a sudden. Is this reversible? What are your tips for looking less tired, old, sad, wrinkly, haggard and crap.

NewSingleMummy Fri 09-Feb-18 23:30:46

What is your current skin care regime? Do you drink plenty of water on daily basis? I always find my skin looks worse for wear when I don't drink at least 2L a day

Butttons Fri 09-Feb-18 23:32:31

Making much sleep are you getting? I find that when I burn the candle at both ends I look about 10 years older than if I've had 7-8hrs a night for a while

Hope things are getting better for you now

Deshasafraisy Fri 09-Feb-18 23:32:48

I drink loads of water. I don’t wear make up everyday, only if I’m going out.
I cleanse and moisturise and use an eye cream. That’s about it.

Deshasafraisy Fri 09-Feb-18 23:33:42

Thanks buttons. I could do with more sleep.

Loveache Fri 09-Feb-18 23:34:05

Exercise, orgasms, face masks, sleep, water.
No booze or sugar.

Deshasafraisy Fri 09-Feb-18 23:41:42

Loveache - What kind of face masks would you recommend? I’ve been considering cutting sugar, i will def try it. Already cut the booze, wasn’t helping at all.
Rest of the list seems doable.

Loveache Fri 09-Feb-18 23:44:17

Depends on what you need- my skin goes dry and looks a bit grey if I'm overtired and upset. Egg yolk with olive oil is a good go-to. So is honey- it makes a mess though so do it in the bath). Boots have a range of sachets that are very cheap too so you can experiment.

echt Fri 09-Feb-18 23:53:58

The water is irrelevant. You seems to be looking after your skin. Sleep is vital for all aspects of health. Exercise you enjoy is good as it both stimulates and relaxes.

No doubt your recent experiences have affected you. Are they over now? The reason I ask is that I find my job pretty stressful and unpleasant quite lot of the time. I'm a teacher and during the long summer break I happened to look in the mirror, and my God, I was so much younger looking. I had not changed my skincare regime. Certain aspects of life are hard to avoid, but trying to control the bits you can influence is helpful, and makes you feel better.

All the best, OP.

SittingAround1 Fri 09-Feb-18 23:56:24

Getting a good haircut helps.

Menarefrommarsitwouldseem Sat 10-Feb-18 00:00:05

BOTOX!
Long have the days gone where i spend stupid amounts of money on a moisturiser which does nothing but make me look a shinier of my wrinkled self.

Oh and water, no sugar etc. But botox is the one.

Menarefrommarsitwouldseem Sat 10-Feb-18 00:00:54

*shinier version of my wrinkled self

DazzlingMilton Sat 10-Feb-18 00:03:39

I’ve been where you are, you will feel better. I’m sorry to hear you’re having a rough time.

First, just ease back in everything by 10-20%. Big changes are not sustainable at a time of stress. Get a bit more sleep, a bit more fresh air, a bit less time at work, a bit more exercise... find incremental changes you can build into your day where if you don’t manage it one day you can pick up the next without feeling like you’ve failed.

For your skin, sleep and exercise are key. Other than that, make sure you’re double cleansing, exfoliate then use a clay mask followed by a hydrating mask once or twice a week. Take multivitamins if you need to, go easy on yourself and give it time. It won’t be like this forever:

Lkjem Sat 10-Feb-18 00:04:34

I've always been envious of women with clear healthy skin so I read some blogs.
After a year of a proper routine I have at last managed to achieve this.
Pm:
Double cleanse ( use cheap oil cleanser to remove makeup followed by balm cleanser to clean skin using a hot flannel to remove both times )
Acid tone ( pixi glow tonic )
Vitamin c serum ( timeless from Amazon )
Retin a 1% ( obagi )
Am:
Balm cleanser
Acid tone
Vitamin c serum
Moisturizer with SPF.
Face mask use alpha H over night power peel though not over night as use retin a then but as a morning one.
Result is no more sun spots and no clogged pours and no need for much make up.
I got my routine from reading Caroline Hirons ( cheat sheets and videos on acid toners and retin a / retinol creams )
You can do it but it takes time and sticking to a good routine.

nevermindthebollox Sat 10-Feb-18 00:08:19

I had a family bereavement in late 2016 which followed a few traumatic years for me on a personal level, I remember looking at myself in the mirror when I was having a good crying session and thinking wow you look 50 rather than 40! I decided there and then I was going to have Botox, it took until March 2017 to pluck up the courage, but I'm so glad I did it. I look much fresher and it while it hasn't radically transformed my face it has given it a new lease of life!! Would thoroughly recommend!!

Atalune Sat 10-Feb-18 00:10:03

I would echo the advice already given but would add-

A little bit of fake tan mixed in with your face cream gives a nice touch of brightness/glow to my skin at this time of year.

Lip glass rather than lipstick is more brightening.

A good eyebrow thread/wax and shape and an eyelash tint.

Clean teeth- try a whitening toothpaste or even the crest strips.

Pink/peach blusher. Nars orgasm is a best seller for a reason or I still love origins pinch your cheeks.

I also use a facial massager/roller to help stimulate blood and cells.

Soozikinzii Sat 10-Feb-18 00:16:46

Where do you buy the Nars orgasm please? I fancy a dollop of that! Seriously I have found the hifu treatment beneficial for my skin xx

DazzlingMilton Sat 10-Feb-18 00:17:53

Space NK usually stock it

Deshasafraisy Sat 10-Feb-18 00:18:04

Thank you, really great tips. I’m not sure about Botox, but il do some research into it.
I am starting to feel a bit better, stress and grief and everything at once. But I feel I’m getting on top of it emotionally but my face has taken the brunt of it all.

ChickenVindaloo2 Sat 10-Feb-18 00:18:30

Go for LVL eyelashes. They perm and tint your own eyelashes. Makes me look wide awake, rested, younger and as if I'm groomed and got make-up on when I haven't.

And smile!

GottadoitGottadoit Sat 10-Feb-18 00:21:16

I looked deathly grey and washed out after having DD at 36.

Botox and acid peels sorted me right out.

Colabar Sat 10-Feb-18 00:33:01

Buy a skin defoliation glove and get rid of all the dead skin, your face will glow and your skin will be softer.

Tartyflette Sat 10-Feb-18 00:38:15

How about fillers? Anyone had any experience of these?

Birdsgottafly Sat 10-Feb-18 00:52:39

You need to find someone by recommendation for fillers and give yourself a budget.

Sometimes you can have an area treated and it magnifies something else. I had my lips done and looked like a puppet so had to have fillers at the corners of my mouth.

I've had face peels which brightened my skin, but eating mainly fruit and veg and exercising daily did the same thing.

I've bough a home micro-needling kit (£200) and do that nightly. I use collagen face masks from Superdrug and oatifix from Lush. My moisturisers are from Aldi, I used to use Elemis.

I agree with the face tan. I'm nearly 50. It's important to identify what the issue is, texture, brightness, dryness etc.

stopgap Sat 10-Feb-18 02:09:53

I’ve had fillers. I see a fantastic plastic surgeon who uses just one syringe under my eyes, in my nasolabial folds, and in my top lip, so pretty miniscule amounts in each area, which makes it look natural.

I also use a gentle cleanser, Retin A, and spf year round. Also no refined sugar and just a couple of drinks per week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now