Talk

Advanced search

Friend reaction to baby walker

(198 Posts)
Charmander123 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:51:55

My baby really enjoys me holding up on her legs so I was thinking of getting her a baby walker!
Quite a few of my friends have them but I mentioned it to one and she basically had a go at me saying that they are horrible for baby development and that if I bought one I'd ruin my child's legs!
I was pretty taken aback by her response but was she right , am I being unreasonable buying a baby walker or are they ok for babies? Xxxx

Wolfiefan Fri 09-Feb-18 21:53:25

They're not great. Safety issues unless you watch very carefully and developmental issues unless you use it very sparingly. I wouldn't and didn't.

RandomMess Fri 09-Feb-18 21:53:57

Huge safety issues including whiplash risk if you have hard floors...

Dancingfairy Fri 09-Feb-18 21:54:10

I wouldn't dream of buying one surprised people still do tbh. Oh and my son walked at 8 months never had a baby walker.

RefuseTheLies Fri 09-Feb-18 21:54:43

I remember my HV not being keen on baby walkers, but I can’t remember why. Our wee one loved hers.

ladybirdsaredotty Fri 09-Feb-18 21:54:45

Yeah, what the PP said. They're kind of outdated now.

chickychickyparmparm Fri 09-Feb-18 21:55:37

I'm surprised they're still around, the risks are pretty well documented.

blackchina Fri 09-Feb-18 21:55:47

Just google 'are baby walkers bad?'

Don't get one.

As a pp said, I am amazed they are still a thing. They are awful.

notsohippychick Fri 09-Feb-18 21:56:10

Could you get her one where you push along? They have a handle at the top. Can’t remembwe who makes them- Vtech I think.

WoodenRainbow Fri 09-Feb-18 21:56:12

Both mine had them and loved them. They never went very fast or far and would only be in them for short periods. They were tremendously helpful.

Dancingfairy Fri 09-Feb-18 21:56:14

Wouldn't a jumperoo be better? Think there not suppose to be as bad. I do think of babies walkers as very old fashioned. (Mind you wouldn't buy a jumperoo myself either)

LizzieSiddal Fri 09-Feb-18 21:56:16

Gosh, I’ve never heard that they were bad for babies. When mine were young (DD is 27) nearly everyone had them and I didn’t hear of any of them having an issue. confused

ruleshelpcontrolthefun Fri 09-Feb-18 21:56:17

My HV warned me against them with my first DC 5 years ago then again with DC2 2 years ago.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Fri 09-Feb-18 21:56:17

HVs were advising against them when I had DS 12 years ago. I never had one for either DC.

TheVanguardSix Fri 09-Feb-18 21:56:45

Get a Fisher Price Jumperoo!

fourandnomore Fri 09-Feb-18 21:57:15

Agree with everyone above, not good. They're not a great idea for a baby's spine, same with those bouncer things you can put on doors, an experienced physio advised anyway.

DriggleDraggle Fri 09-Feb-18 21:57:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ohlalalala Fri 09-Feb-18 21:57:28

Both mine loved them
Both walked at 12:13 months, no issues with their legs or any other type of development!!!!

Queenofthestress Fri 09-Feb-18 21:57:33

They can cause problems with the hips if they're used too much, it splays out the legs too wide if the child's ligaments aren't formed enough, it can also cause tiptoe walking as it did in DD
Both the physio and paed told me to bin mine with DS because it might have been the cause of his hips turning outwards

dementedpixie Fri 09-Feb-18 21:58:15

I did have one for both of mine and they were used for short periods of time and no harm came to them. I sometimes fed the kids in them too as a small highchair

PurplePotatoes Fri 09-Feb-18 21:58:23

My DD had a minor issue with her feet at birth and the physio said under no circumstances get a walker or jumperoo as they encourage tiptoe walking.

AgnesBrownsCat Fri 09-Feb-18 21:58:30

They’re not a great idea and have become frowned upon by many .

430West Fri 09-Feb-18 21:58:47

They're so dangerous they are banned in Canada - their sale or import is punishable by 6 months imprisonment.

They are responsible for more fatalities and serious accidents than any other piece of baby equipment. Not to mention the extent to which they hinder development.

Perhaps a toddle truck instead? (push along thingy)

GinSolvesEverything Fri 09-Feb-18 21:59:21

They really aren’t all that safe. I have a friend who is permanently scarred on his face from burns he got as a baby. He was in a walker that unbalanced and he went face first into an open fire.

I’d look at a jolly jumper instead.

Steeley113 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:59:27

My 2nd had one, it was used sparingly so 10-15 minutes at a time where he’d get into some mischief and I’d have to rescue him grin I use jumperoo’s too

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: