Talk

Advanced search

Eating with mouth shut. Or not...

(20 Posts)
JustVent Fri 09-Feb-18 18:59:43

My eldest isn’t 11, every meal time and snack since the age of about 3 I’ve had to tell him at least three times to close his mouth when he eats.

Why hasn’t this information information gone in? When will this information get through for more than 3 seconds, literally?

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Fri 09-Feb-18 19:09:24

Still trying at 9. Your post doesn’t fill me with hope of an improvement!

Whatshallidonowpeople Fri 09-Feb-18 19:10:48

If you look at the number of grown men who have never stopped, the future doesn't look good 😣

BzyB Fri 09-Feb-18 19:11:45

My 4 year old is our self appointed manners officer. My 15 year old is awful for eating with mouth open esp if she’s focused on something other than food ( like someone else talking) It turns my stomach.
My mum talks when eating. That’s even worse.

JustVent Fri 09-Feb-18 19:15:03

When I see men who eat like that I automatically wonder why he wasn’t taught to not eat like a pig.

Now I know different.

MsVestibule Fri 09-Feb-18 19:17:56

We had one of my DS's friends (aged 8) for tea once who ate with his mouth wide open the whole time, despite me (politely) asking him several times to stop doing this - I thought it was just that his parents hadn't taught him any differently!!!

Do you just repeatedly ask him, or are there consequences for constantly 'forgetting'?

JustVent Fri 09-Feb-18 20:53:22

I repeatedly ask him throughout every meal.

So between 3 and 6 times I will have to ask him.
That’s every meal.
Please warn your daughter, we TRIED.

hazeydays14 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:57:07

FIL still eats with his mouth open and MIL scolds him over and over, I hope this isn't your future!

iklboo Fri 09-Feb-18 20:59:12

Sodding Tim Bloody Lovejoy eats with his mouth open on Sunday Brunch. He looks like a horse recovering from dental anaesthetic chomping away and smacking his lips. angry

JustVent Fri 09-Feb-18 21:02:26

It’s not my future.
My husband (their father) doesn’t eat with his mouth open, therefore it’s someone else’s future.

On a medical note, those with large adenoids who snore and general struggle to breath through their nose will, I assume, struggle to eat with their mouth closed - what with needing to breath at the same time.
I had “enormous” adenoids when I was born and my nasal passages were almost blocked so they were removed.
If DC1 has the same thing but less so, it could be the cause.....

Possible light bulb moment....

BrimFire Fri 09-Feb-18 21:06:33

You have to tell people why whatever they are specifically doing is grim otherwise they don't think it applies to them. They really don't think what they are doing is annoying to other people.

So so actually have to say " you are eating with your mouth open and a hearing and seeing your food is revolting". Otherwise they think it's not really a problem.

I used to pick my nose and 100% it didn't occur to me that it was upsetting to other people. They used to say " picking your your nose is disgusting " but because they didn't actually address it to me, I didn't think it applied.

JustVent Fri 09-Feb-18 21:20:51

@BrimFire I’ve told my son every meal time 3 times a day for at least 8 years to close his mouth and you assume that I haven’t explained why it’s unpleasant?

Come on.

JustVent Fri 09-Feb-18 21:21:08

But thank you for patronising me.

BrimFire Fri 09-Feb-18 21:45:30

Yeah but I assuming he doesn't wee himself in publiic. Why eat with his mouth open? Both happen occasionally. But one he knows is socially unacceptable.

SilverySurfer Fri 09-Feb-18 21:50:24

iklboo
Sodding Tim Bloody Lovejoy eats with his mouth open on Sunday Brunch. He looks like a horse recovering from dental anaesthetic chomping away and smacking his lips. angry

I was just about to post the same thing. He is disgusting and stuffs food in his mouth seconds before he needs to speak. I stopped watching that programme because of him.

BrimFire Fri 09-Feb-18 21:53:42

Just Vent - so what he can't help it? Is it because he's ...male? Nah. I don't care how patronising it sounds. Without a medical condition he can eat with his mouth closed. Has he got a medical problem?

WonkyDonk87 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:02:50

@iklboo I was REALLY looking forward to Sunday Brunch and feel this will now distract me. Damn!
The actual act makes me boak - have one friend's daughter who does it but luckily my DF agrees with me and we chastise her together in solidarity

CharlieandLolaCat Fri 09-Feb-18 22:06:04

OP read your first post and was just coming on to say a friend of mine used to literally not be able to breathe with her mouth shut when eating but looks as if you've just thought of this as a possibility. She had surgery.

JustVent Fri 09-Feb-18 22:28:37

Him being male makes no difference to his breathing or swallowing.

@BrimFire

Why would you think my child’s anatomy would make any difference to anything ive said here....?

iklboo Fri 09-Feb-18 22:28:43

Sorry @WonkyDonk87 - it's all I can see now when I watch it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now