Talk

Advanced search

To think YouTubers with a young fan base should be promoting the special k diet

(12 Posts)
Ll81 Fri 09-Feb-18 15:11:16

It sits quite uncomfortably with me to see several big YouTubers promoting the special k diet (a bowl for breakfast and lunch) when they have a very young fan base. It's an awful idea for a diet and a unhealthy product anyway imo.

astoundedgoat Fri 09-Feb-18 15:14:43

You're dead right (although your title is misleading!).

Apart from anything else, since Special K changed their recipe and their flakes are now sugar-coated, thin and tasteless, I can hardly see how they can pitch their product as healthy. Waitrose own brand tastes like the "old" Special K.

Sparklesocks Fri 09-Feb-18 15:15:57

Generally I don’t think YTers have too many scruples when it comes to hocking products at their young fan base, they just want the cash from the companies who pay them to do so. Look at all the crap zoella sells or her hugely marked up advent calendars.
I think YTers and social media stars should be better regulated by advertising authorities - think about all those ‘detox’ (laxative) teas the reality show lot flog. There doesn’t seem to be any guidelines or rules for it.

SchrodingersFrilledLizard Fri 09-Feb-18 15:19:59

Shouldn't it be "should not be promoting" rather than "should be promoting"?

HollyBayTree Fri 09-Feb-18 15:23:07

Oh well - do you need supermarket addresses so you can lobby all their head offices and ask them to remove cocopops etc that their mothers have been buying since the advent of the first tooth?

Ll81 Fri 09-Feb-18 15:27:01

Sorry yes should not be promoting!

It's different than cocopops, this cerial isn't just unhealthy it's bordering on causing ED. Who would have two bowls of this a day? That's not going to help eat vegetables or have a sensible diet or view on food

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 09-Feb-18 15:31:06

I came on the thread to lambast your stupidity having read the title grin

Yes that’s ridiculously dangerous but I’m unsurprised by anything many of these very stupid people do. The only ones I don’t mind are the video gamers!

VladmirsPoutine Fri 09-Feb-18 15:33:05

Is it the dreaded and bloody awful Zoella and or Tanya Burr? They are both horrific.

StickThatInYourPipe Fri 09-Feb-18 15:38:01

What are they saying about it?

BusyCrisps Fri 09-Feb-18 15:43:10

Waitrose own brand tastes like the "old" Special K.
Really? Ooh this this possible good news.

With regards the OP, I don't think Youtubers should be giving any dietary advice unless they are actually qualified.

PinkHeart5914 Fri 09-Feb-18 15:46:46

It’s not the worst diet though, 2 bowls of cereal a day, a balanced cooked meal once a day, fruit or veg as snack- Far worse diets out there!

Ok so the cereal might not be the healthiest ever option but compared to some of the youtubers telling people to “detox” “eat raw only” etc etc it’s not the worst.

IAmBreakmasterCylinder Fri 09-Feb-18 15:48:42

Who is it?

I agree they shouldn’t be peddling any kind of eating advice.

The Aldi alternative is yummy though blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now