Talk

Advanced search

To want DP to take my name

(25 Posts)
mojito55 Fri 09-Feb-18 13:23:27

My DP has not seen his biological F in over 10 years and actively dislikes him. Both paternal DGPs are dead, and his DM has remarried and changed her surname. He literally has no reason to be attached to his. Additionally, his last name does not sound good with my first name (think Harriet Higgins style weird alliteration). Therefore, I raised the idea yesterday that, upon marriage, I would prefer him to take my surname. He seemed horrified at the idea and suggested that we both take his DSF's surname instead. AIBU to think that, in 2018, it should not be automatically assumed that the man's surname becomes the 'family name'? I wouldn't even have an issue with us both retaining our own surnames, but that would make things complicated when we have children. I don't know whether he feels it would be emasculating or what, but suggesting we both change our names seems ridiculous.

FissionChips Fri 09-Feb-18 13:26:32

Why not just have a new family name? Just pick one you both like.

blackberryfairy Fri 09-Feb-18 13:28:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SometimesMaybe Fri 09-Feb-18 13:31:25

I’ve kept my own name and after 15 years or marriage it’s never been a problem. DH sometimes gets called Mr Maybe and I sometimes get called Mrs DH name and it’s never been a problem for the kids. It’s normal for them for mum to have a different surname. Both keep your own name and double barrel any kids names.

HildaZelda Fri 09-Feb-18 19:12:53

Why do either of you have to change your name? I didn't 'take' DH's name when I got married and he didn't change his either.

SharronNeedles Fri 09-Feb-18 19:18:56

You may not understand why but he is attached to his name and that is that!
If you don't want to take it, don't. If he doesn't want yours, then you can't force him.

WitchesHatRim Fri 09-Feb-18 19:20:51

You can't make him change his just he can't you.

His name is his name.

SoupDragon Fri 09-Feb-18 19:23:09

He literally has no reason to be attached to his.

Apart from the fact that it is his.

I changed mine as I wasn’t attached to it. If I had been fond of it then I wouldn’t.

ElephantsYeah Fri 09-Feb-18 19:23:26

I kept my name, dh kept his and ds has a double-barrelled name (mine-dhs - because other way round sounded wrong). It works for us!

hopsalong Fri 09-Feb-18 19:24:09

You don’t want his name. He doesn’t want your name. So keep your own names!

There’s no rule that says that married people have to have the same name. (Among my friends it is the exception.)

TwoBlueFish Fri 09-Feb-18 19:55:28

Either chose a brand new name for you both or keep your own names. My DH & I weren’t married when our kids were born. I’m very attached to my surname and have a big family and he wasn’t attached to his at all, the kids have my surname. When we married I kept my name and DH kept him. It’s not confusing we both respond to Mr/Mrs other persons surname. The only difficulty was a few of my elderly relatives who would send cheques in what they thought was my married name.

steff13 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:20:45

It's his name and has been for his entire life. Is that not reason enough to be attached to it?

You're not unreasonable to want him to take your name, and he's not unreasonable to decline.

mojito55 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:35:08

It's more because when we have children I'd prefer us all to have one name. Our names sound a bit weird double barrelled, but I guess it may come to that. Changing both our surnames to something else seems silly as then neither of us are happy hmm

nocake Fri 09-Feb-18 20:38:15

Just keep your own names. Anyone changing name is a complete pita. Someone I work with changed hers recently and it took weeks for all of the IT systems to get changed. Her telephone conferencing didn't work for 3 weeks.

As for the children thing, why would it be a problem. DW and I don't have the same surname so we just picked one of them for our kids. It's no big deal.

SandyY2K Fri 09-Feb-18 20:44:16

Retain your own names and double barrel the kids surname with both.

Im not surprised he doesn't want your surname...you saying he has no reason to be attached to it is very insensitive.

Dozer Fri 09-Feb-18 20:47:33

Just both use your own names and call the DC one of them, or both. It really doesn’t matter if the DC have a different surname name to you, or DP.

“He literally has no reason to be attached to his (name)”. That is dismissive and incorrect: he obviously has his reasons, YOU just don’t agree with or respect them. His name, his choice!

SandyY2K Fri 09-Feb-18 21:05:58

AIBU to think that, in 2018, it should not be automatically assumed that the man's surname becomes the 'family name'?

No...but you are being unreasonable to assume he'll take your surname.

An observation...You seem traditional in wanting the family to have one surname.... yet you don't want to follow tradition in taking his surname.

Try not to carry certain unreasonable traits into your marriage or it will become a source of contention.

mojito55 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:12:44

SandyY2K what a weird assumption. It's nothing to do with tradition, I've read posts where parents have said that having different surnames to their children is inconvenient at airports etc, I don't want any doubt that my children are mine. As I previously stated, I'm not bothered about me and DP sharing a surname, it's purely for when it comes to children.

Butterymuffin Fri 09-Feb-18 21:20:03

Best way is to double barrel the kids then. Yes it's not exactly what you want, but then we can't always get that, can we?

Incidentally I have a different surname to
DC and when travelling with them it wasn't a problem.

blackberryfairy Fri 09-Feb-18 21:29:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dancingfairy Fri 09-Feb-18 21:34:43

Even if you are stopped at the air port it's no big deal. That's more of a problem for single parents as they are technically suppose to get the other parents permission to travel which can be difficult if you have a bitter ex who refuses. He's your husband it's not going to be a problem.

wisterialanes Fri 09-Feb-18 21:36:21

YABVU OP. It really isn't up to you to decide that the surname that he has had his whole life is meaningless to him. If a woman came on and said that her DP said this everyone would be saying LTB.

SilverySurfer Fri 09-Feb-18 21:45:26

YABVU. This is a rather presumptuous thing for you to say. He has as much right to keep his name as you have to keep yours.

mojito55 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:53:08

Actually, you're right. That was harsh. No one's forcing me to change my name so I shouldn't force him to change his. Double barrel for the nonexistent kids it is then!

Nydj Fri 09-Feb-18 22:13:30

I didn’t change my name and our child has the same surname as me and it hasn’t caused a problem but if you want all of you that have the same surname then, yes, there will need to be concession made by one person or the double barrel for everyone

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: