Talk

Advanced search

Capture of the 2 British Jihadis

(21 Posts)
yolofish Fri 09-Feb-18 13:06:26

Of the 'gang of 4' who were given a nickname because of their Britishness, one is dead, one was in custody and the last two are now in the custody of the American-backed Kurdish forces.

Just listening to some interesting comentators on Jeremy Vine (yes, I know...) and their capture seems to throw up various problems/options.

1. They are chucked into Guantanamo Bay indefinitely
2. They are tried in the US and end up in max security prison for life
3. They are tried in the UK and may or may not receive a full life tariff

The latest two have wives and children, but it was said the men's British citizenship has (had?) been revoked. So what happens to the women and children?

God, what a can of worms! I'm inclined to prefer option 2 but whatever happens to them they are going to be held up as martyrs for their cause arent they?

sallyarmy1 Fri 09-Feb-18 13:16:51

'British jihadists' is an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

They are NOT 'British' - that has been taken away from them.

FannyWisdom Fri 09-Feb-18 13:21:19

Not by normal thinking people.
Saddle the type to martyr the cocks are already smitten by the jihad.

Watch Stacey Dooley latest episode on iPlayer, the IS commander that they interviewed.
The contempt seeps out of him.
while the glorious Yazidi ex sex slave withers him with a head tilt

FannyWisdom Fri 09-Feb-18 13:21:52

Sadly not saddle.

translationAndRotation Fri 09-Feb-18 13:22:17

3 seems impossible. My skim-reading of the BBC article said they had been stripped of their citizenship.

1 - 2. I don't care. I think it's perfectly acceptable to say that some people forfeit their rights.

"So what happens to the women and children?"

Are they British? Dependent's visa? Iligal immigrants?

I find it hard to believe that the wives didn't know what their husbands were up to so hope that if they were implicit (even through silence) that they'll be tried too.

I suspect that any child is more likely to have a good upbringing in foster homes and looked after by Social Services than by a terrorist jihadist.

Greensleeves Fri 09-Feb-18 13:26:15

On a related note, a British ex-soldier who went to fight AGAINST ISIS with the Kurds is being charged with terror offences - first case of its kind in the UK.

Greensleeves Fri 09-Feb-18 13:33:55

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/isis-fighters-anti-british-uk-ypg-charged-terror-offence-james-jim-matthews-kurds-training-camp-a8199796.html

Greensleeves Fri 09-Feb-18 22:30:07

Does anyone know how widespread the revoking of British citienship is? It's not applied to all the ex-ISIS fighters, is it?

BrandNewHouse Fri 09-Feb-18 22:33:32

My understanding is that citizenship can only be revoked if the person will continue to have citizenship of somewhere else.

People cannot be left Stateless.

Greensleeves Fri 09-Feb-18 22:34:23

Ah that makes sense

yolofish Fri 09-Feb-18 23:08:38

I'm not sure, the implication appeared to be that the children of these men could be left stateless? going to read your link now greensleeves

FannyWisdom Fri 09-Feb-18 23:12:22

Only if they hold dual nationalities and a couple of other exemptions apply too.

Put it this way they don't get deported back anywhere like Syria to be sold at auction as sex slaves.

Ivebeenaroundtheblock Fri 09-Feb-18 23:17:15

Jahidis Jack is applying to come to Canada as he holds dual citizenship...and at a recent open forum meeting the prime minister was spewing how great Canada's reintegration program was...

FannyWisdom Fri 09-Feb-18 23:20:26

Ah that well known human rights black hole that is Canada....
hmm

yolofish Fri 09-Feb-18 23:27:13

so on a quick read of that link it seems that someone of previous good record can be accused of "being in a place of terrorism" and therefore treated as a terrorist on return to UK. Jim sounds to me possibly misguided but generally well-intentioned towards the UK, quite unlike the gang of 4...

IvorHughJarrs Fri 09-Feb-18 23:35:36

I think it is shocking that young men who went away to fight terrorists are being treated like this. It is wrong, in my view, to penalise them for fighting against a group that have expressed hatred for this country and attacked innocent people on British soil.

As for these two jihadis, they should be treated with the same mercy and compassion they have demonstrated to others

Guavaf1sh Fri 09-Feb-18 23:38:56

The gang of 4 are violent murderers and not safe to be let free anywhere. Sad as it is to say it would be better if they were killed whilst trying to escape. It would solve a lot of problems

Greensleeves Fri 09-Feb-18 23:42:19

I agree Ivor, it makes no sense sad

Birdsgottafly Fri 09-Feb-18 23:57:21

The people who seem to be the most sensible and the Victims families want them to face a International War Crime Court.

There have been too many Atrocities and the taking of sex slaves overlooked in previous, but not that long ago conflicts, that we need to be recognising acts for what they are and dealing with the perpetrators accordingly.

GB certainly isn't the way to go.

In regards to their Wives, it depends on their backstory. Reading the accounts of young Women who were forced to marry Isis fighters and have children, they are very much victims. In some cases they had to marry and have a child or go on a suicide mission. Once they have children they are trapped. Others were threatened with gang rape and having any babies born removed, or marriage.

BonnieF Sat 10-Feb-18 00:08:06

I couldn’t care less what happens to them, as long as they are either dead or sent to Guantanamo for the remainder of their lives.

Presumably the CIA’s apprentice waterboarders need someone to practice on?

Greensleeves Sat 10-Feb-18 00:49:46

I don't know how anybody can express support for the existence of Guantanamo Bay and still claim to have any sense of right and wrong.

But it is downright weird that 400+ returning ISIS fighters are being quietly "reintegrated" while a volunteer who went to fight against ISIS is being prosecuted as a test case under the Terrorism Act confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: