Talk

Advanced search

Flower delivery - I'm probably being vv U

(15 Posts)
Givemecoffeeplease Fri 09-Feb-18 09:38:08

It was my birthday this week and my brother sent me a gift. A lovely thought, particularly as last year he forgot my birthday....

However.... Because I work full time (which he knows) I got the red "sorry you were out" postcard. I've collected the box this morning (a 20 min walk in the cold) and collected a box of dead flowers.

Look, I'm grateful for the thought, but can't help thinking it's a massive waste of his money and my time. He can find my work address with a simple google. He also knew I'd missed delivery and didn't say "they're flowers, get there sooner rather than later." And I work full time!! I'd love fresh flowers, but get the letterbox friendly ones, or send them at the weekend - or just send a card, that would be lovely too!

I'm probably being vv U, but I'm cold and wet from carrying a box of dead flowers, and I'm also a tiny bit disappointed that the mystery of the red box didn't hold great and exciting treasure (apart from potential chilblains).

My other present was a gift voucher for a shop in deepest Kent - I live in Birmingham....

InToMyHeart Fri 09-Feb-18 17:44:50

How long did it take between them trying to deliver the flowers and you going to pick them up? I'm a bit surprised they are already dead unless you left it like a week!

MissionItsPossible Fri 09-Feb-18 18:04:57

InToMyHeart

Maybe the OP did leave them for a week. I have to get someone else to pick up parcels I've missed because of the uncooperative opening times (if working full time 9 to 5) or wait until the weekend

Uhuhhoney Fri 09-Feb-18 18:14:58

YABU and ungrateful.

A neighbour could have collected them. They could have arrived anytime from e.g. 7am - 8pm (I've had deliveries at these times). How would he know you were at work.

honeysucklejasmine Fri 09-Feb-18 18:17:07

You can arrange re-delivery using the red card you know.

SprinkleCakeLollipop Fri 09-Feb-18 20:13:33

Yabu. People all over work full time and manage to receive parcels. I wouldn't send to someone's work address in case it got them into trouble. They must have been left a while to be dead. You can get them delivered to another address/neighbour too if you go online and rebook it.

Givemecoffeeplease Sat 10-Feb-18 06:58:25

Thanks. He knows I work full time. He also knows I can receive flowers and parcels at work.

My neighbours can’t collect parcels for me, they have lives of their own and I wouldn’t dream of asking! I also didn’t arrange redelivery as wouldn’t be around - I work full time! I think I’m being a bit U but he’s also not really thought about it. A shame all round....

billybagpuss Sat 10-Feb-18 07:00:32

Contact the flower company, my mum got a free bouquet from them 5hey usually guarantee fresh for a certain number of days.

Hellywelly10 Sat 10-Feb-18 07:02:41

I kinda get your point op. He knew your out and sent you a perishable gift.

InspMorse Sat 10-Feb-18 07:16:46

He sent you a nice gift. Thank him.

I would be mortified if my gesture was seen as an 'inconvenience'
How many days did you leave the box at the post office?

SunnyCoco Sat 10-Feb-18 07:20:00

Do you work full time? 😉

SuperBeagle Sat 10-Feb-18 07:20:08

How many days did you leave it before you picked them up?

YABU. You can't have a bitch about him missing your birthday last year and then bitch about the efforts he made this year. You look ungrateful.

Alienspaceship Sat 10-Feb-18 07:23:10

YABU. A 20 minute walk in the cold and wet is hardly extraordinary.

SharonMott Sat 10-Feb-18 07:26:58

I would just love to be able to do that walk right now so YABU.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 10-Feb-18 07:28:13

It’s sad you didn’t get to enjoy the lovely present. But yes, YABU. Lesson learned and all that. Not all of us have brothers nice enough to actually bother about us at all, some of them, including mine pose a physical danger. So perhaps realise your brother isn’t infallible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: