Talk

Advanced search

To hate hate hate

(4 Posts)
GlitterUnicornsAndAllThatJazz Fri 09-Feb-18 00:13:02

The phrase "you don't get to" used in debate.
"You don't get to decide."
"You dont get to tell people how to feel."
I don't know why it bothers me so much. A mixture of sanctimonious, condescending, righteous and head prefect elements.
And the unshakeable feeling the person has adopted the turn of phrase from watching too many american vloggers. Analysing it more closely i think its also symptomatic of how hard down the line, inward looking and inflexible much debate is. Rather than use more abstract or formalised ways of rejecting a persons reaction (it doesnt seem right to.../it isn't fair to..../you shouldn't...), "you dont get to" shuts the discussion down immediately. Theres no room for manoeuvre or debate: the person saying the phrase has automatically cut you off. You dont get to. Conversation over.

Seen it used 3 times today on MN. I feel like it feeds into a FB generation attitude to debate. There are goodies and baddies, right views and wrong views, ME and MY thoughts and then you and your WRONG thoughts.

adayatthebeach Fri 09-Feb-18 00:14:59

Why isn’t it always America’s fault??? confused

adayatthebeach Fri 09-Feb-18 00:15:38

SORRY meant ...why IS it.

NK493efc93X1277dd3d6d4 Fri 09-Feb-18 00:17:09

Because they have an irritating illiterate way of speaking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now