Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think I’ve been had?

(13 Posts)
covetingthepreciousthings Thu 08-Feb-18 23:32:11

I’ve worked for the same small company for just under a year now & I feel like I’ve been totally walked over, but feel at a complete loss to resolve the issue.

The company previous to this I worked for 10 years at a management level. However due to maternity leave I wanted something with more suitable hours & decided to leave. I found this new job, despite the fact it was less pay & a entry level role. I decided the pros outweighed the cons..

During my interview with a senior manager they asked me if I would be happy to ‘step up’ into management level when needed (holiday cover of the manager etc) & if I was looking for progression etc... I expressed keen interest & said that I was happy to start at a low level just to get ‘my foot in the door’ of the company with a view to progress.

During my time in the company, I have been totally flexible, coming in on days off to cover sickness, working days during my holiday to help them out.

I started off being paid minimum wage, only being given an increase in pay during the days when I was covering the manager during their holiday / sickness.

I have had very little training, but my managerial background has obviously helped me.

Fast forward & the manager leaves about 6 months into my time with the company, stupidly I thought I may be given a shot at progressing..
Instead they decide to “dualsite” a manager from the company’s other location. Who comes across once a week (sometimes only once a fortnight).
In the meantime I’ve been given a pay increase to be on a flat rate rather than up & down like before depending on whether I’m being ‘in charge’ for the day.

I am however doing the day to day running of the business , orders / payroll etc is usually done by me now.
I never work with the manager dual siting as there is usually only one staff member per day, so I have no chance of receiving anymore training.

AIBU to think I’ve basically become a manager but without the title or the pay?
I should also point out my contract has never been changed, so I am still just listed as an entry level employee. Also note the flat rate increase I received is just above bare minimum wage. (So below £8 per hour)

I keep asking if there is any room for actual progression for me, but keep getting told that right now the dual site managing is working & that I can’t progress too high as I haven’t taken the correct path through management levels yet!? Despite no one actually monitoring my work, or offering to develop me confused

I think I’ve been a total mug.. but I’ve lost all confidence since having a child to stand up for myself. sad
What would you do if you were in this position? (Except for the obvious, look for another job)

BrizzleMaverick Thu 08-Feb-18 23:53:33

They only think the dual site manager set up is working because you are doing some/most of the work on your site.

Stop doing it and they may realise that dual site managers isn't working

UpstartCrow Thu 08-Feb-18 23:57:15

Work to rule - stick to your contract from now on, no freebies for them, and contact ACAS.

SnowDance Thu 08-Feb-18 23:59:40

Tell them that if they won’t pay you the same as a manager you won’t do the additional manager duties. List those manager duties and give them a week to consider whether they want you to continue or stop them

fuzzywuzzy Fri 09-Feb-18 00:04:35

I’d start a job search.

And sit with your job spec in front of you and don’t do any of the managerial jobs.
Unless they specifically ask then tell them to give you the role officially and pay you for it.

SofiaAmes Fri 09-Feb-18 00:20:51

You've only been had if you agreed to something that they are not delivering. You have agreed to this setup. Stop agreeing. Do what SnowDance suggests.

Labradoodliedoodoo Fri 09-Feb-18 00:27:13

Tell your manager that you enjoy the role but the pay doesn’t reflect the responsibility and so you plan to job hunt. You just wanted to prewarn her so that she knows she will be asked for a reference

Butterymuffin Fri 09-Feb-18 00:29:46

What does your actual job description say you do? As the pp have said, tell management you're going to stop doing the extra work. They have no motivation to change anything while you're doing it for free. Just be direct and say you will be reverting to the role you're paid for.

Huntinginthedark Fri 09-Feb-18 00:35:44

I think you’re in a strong bargaining position
You need to open a conversation with them about it. But be prepared to leave if you don’t get what you want.
That is what most men would do in your position (they wouldn’t even question their need to have a better position and better pay)

Don’t simmer about it. Stand up for yourself

They might not even realise

covetingthepreciousthings Fri 09-Feb-18 14:28:06

The thing is, I don't actually have a job description.
The easiest way to explain the scenario is to say, imagine I'm a sales assistant in a shop on paper, however I was given a set of keys & I'm basically in charge of the shop, opening / closing, dealing with the banking etc.
But I have nothing in writing about any of my responsibilities.. I have asked, but I've just been fobbed off (same as when I've asked for a progression plan).

So if I were to update my CV, despite doing a managerial role now on paper I'm entry level confused

Huntinginthedark Fri 09-Feb-18 15:50:14

We’ll if you’re doing a manegerial role you can put it on your cv. Perhaps you can’t put the title, but you could put “acting”
And if they think you’re great they won’t wsnt to lose you.
That’s what I meant about having a strong position. They will have to concede very little to keep you. Upgraded title and some more money.

G120810 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:30:14

Simple do what you are paid to do explain that as you are not a manager and haven't went through managerial level you don't think you should do this as you are not being paid the correct pay for that role as stated in interview you interested in working up to mananger but you are being used for this role as then they do not need to pay you for it as when they asked you your pay was different but you were happy with that but then it changed and you still did it you have asked about doing job full time they said no you haven't find through training etc yet they let you do it so which is it u can't az you don't have training or you do it and don't get paid so they are using u are accepting this by doing it and they not going to move u up if they can keep you doing it as you are stop this as you are being used they can't fire you as you aren't contracted to be manager so you aren't doing anything wrong x

hungryhenryshouldeatelsewhere Fri 09-Feb-18 19:33:20

I'd be working to rule too, but be prepared to be called up on it. I actually got into trouble at work for "working to rule" - because apparently managers don't like it when you follow your job description instead of being their bitch!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now