Talk

Advanced search

Tuition payment amount question

(7 Posts)
WellAlwaysHaveParis Thu 08-Feb-18 22:43:04

I worked as a private tutor with an agency up until very recently. The agency would recommend me to clients, and then would charge £X to clients and then pay me some of this amount.

I’ve now given up tuition through the agency, although one of my students (Student X) and their parent would still like me to tutor them. I’ve agreed to this, as I’ve really enjoyed working with the student.

I would get paid £15 per hour (not exact amount, as don’t want to be outing) for each of my students while working for the agency. Clearly, the agency charged more on top of this to the client.

Now that I’ll be working with the client directly, the client’s sent me an email to confirm payments. They’ve named the fee as £30 (again, not exact amount), and asked if this is okay that they pay me this. This is clearly what the agency charged the client directly.

I don’t want to take the client for a ride, but not really sure how to approach this. Should I say that I was originally paid less than this?

WWYD?

riledandharrassed Thu 08-Feb-18 22:44:52

Up to you - either way for them they are getting the same service so why ask for less if that’s market rate for your skill set . If you feel uncomfortable say you’d work at the midpoint .

PandaG Thu 08-Feb-18 22:45:03

Say thank you very much and take the fee. They were happy paying that, they are getting the same service, so I think that is reasonable.

InToMyHeart Fri 09-Feb-18 04:00:23

I used to tutor independent and £30 an hour is the normal fee. You were mugged off by the agency!

MerryMarigold Fri 09-Feb-18 04:11:01

I'd check if you're allowed to do this. There may be a 6 month window otherwise ask tutors would do this ie. Use the agency to get clients and then take them at a cheaper price.

GetShitDone Fri 09-Feb-18 04:55:17

£30 is entirely reasonable. They aren't just paying for the hour. They are paying for prep time, travel time, sick pay, holiday pay and any associated costs that you have.

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 09-Feb-18 08:13:12

Yes, £30 is reasonable. I charged £20/hr to a family friend and I found it was insufficient for the work I was actually doing.

I have learned also that it is necessary to draw up some sort of agreement regarding missed sessions (ie. they pay half if they cancel) - also to cover your costs of prep if they cancel last minute.

We learn from our mistakes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now