Talk

Advanced search

To ask the nurses for some change?

(22 Posts)
RoseGoldRosie Thu 08-Feb-18 21:33:00

Had the worst day of my life. Thought my little 2yo DD might die. She took a tumble off yesterday, and has been so floppy and unresponsive today, not been able to hold her head up and kept being sick. She's had to have a brain scan and blood tests. She's doing so much better now than this morning, but can't walk properly still. They're hoping she'll be right as rain in the morning thank goodness🤞🏽

I haven't eaten all day. I only have a £10 note. No shops open and no change for the vending machine. Now all the shock is (hopefully) over and DDs asleep, I'm absolutely ravenous. But the nurses are so busy. And I doubt they carry round money on them, do they? It'd probably be in their lockers. Don't want to disturb them for no reason, and feel embarrassed to ask. But could eat my own arm. I'm not one of those that doesn't need to eat in times of stress unfortunately! What does everyone think? It's not really their job to be sorting this out for me is it?

StealingYourWiFi Thu 08-Feb-18 21:34:21

Just ask them! I used to work on a kids ward and would happily do this for parents. They will ask around other colleagues if not or at least find you some biscuits.

TinaMena Thu 08-Feb-18 21:34:38

Are there no shops there?

GreenTulips Thu 08-Feb-18 21:35:07

Ask - they brought me a sandwich from the kitchen

Some parents can order a take away to be delivered

There's usually some toast on the go in the parents visiting room

They want you to be of use and being hungry won't help

They've seen it all before

NellMangel Thu 08-Feb-18 21:35:37

Ask them. Nothing to be embarrassed about. If they say no,that's fair enough. Sorry you've had such a scare, hope the little one is okay x

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 08-Feb-18 21:35:56

I'd ask them. It's a very brief conversation and they can only say no, meaning you're no worse off. Hopefully they'll be able to sort you out so you can get something to eat.

NewYearNiki Thu 08-Feb-18 21:36:04

Order online for delivery?

starfishmummy Thu 08-Feb-18 21:36:08

Just ask. They may have sandwiches or be able to make toast

lizziesnips Thu 08-Feb-18 21:36:53

So sorry about your DD
Just ask them, they will help and understand
I'm a midwife, always busy but would help a family member of a patient

Weezol Thu 08-Feb-18 21:37:57

Ask them! Find the HCA or just go to the ward desk.

They will likely make you a brew and find you some biscuits or give you a bowl of cereal.

There's usually some kind of canteen in a hospital that's runs a limited menu for the night staff that they might be able to point you at.

Stompythedinosaur Thu 08-Feb-18 21:38:41

I am a nurse. I have given change to countless patients and relatives. It is no biggie! I have also scrounge up food for families at funny times so definitely ask.

elliejjtiny Thu 08-Feb-18 21:38:49

They should be able to sort out a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits for you. They did that for me when I was in hospital with my 4 year old and I didn't want to leave him asleep and risk missing the consultant coming round. I hope your little one gets better soon and you can get something to eat.

AndTheyLivedHappilyEverAfter Thu 08-Feb-18 21:39:12

Go to the nurses station and politely ask, tell them not to rush, or do it if/ when they get a chance. Some of them might carry a bit of change but their purse will be in the staff room I imagine. I'm sure they'll be sympathetic. I would personally avoid asking any Matrons as they can be scary grin.

Go get yourself a nice sandwich and loads of chocolate. Hope your daughter gets well soon x

Sandsnake Thu 08-Feb-18 21:39:22

Ask them, definitely. And flowers for you, sounds bloody horrible. Hope your DD gets better soon, I wish I could magic some dinner to you!

GreatDuckCookery Thu 08-Feb-18 21:41:37

Bloody hell OP sorry to hear that, fingers crossed DD will soon be herself.

Is there a kitchen for the parents to make a brew? Were you thinking of a vending machine? Ask the nurses.

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 08-Feb-18 21:41:50

Hope you get some change or food soon OP

RoseGoldRosie Thu 08-Feb-18 21:51:21

I found my card in my bag, thought I forgot it. And the vending machine takes card. I'm going to buy all of the chocolate and all of the crisps smile thanks for the well wishes guys. They think it was concussion and after a good nights sleep she'll be ok, so fingers crossed she's walking well in the morning. There's some very poorly little babies here so am feeling lucky really.

RoseGoldRosie Thu 08-Feb-18 21:52:57

Thank you to all the NHS workers on this thread btw. You're all bloody amazingthanks

Andbabymakesthree Thu 08-Feb-18 21:58:05

Ask. They'll find you some food.

Weezol Thu 08-Feb-18 21:58:56

I'd second that thanks. I'm usually the patient, but I've had vistors travel to see me in emergencies and the HCA's and nurses often 'find' spare meals, sandwiches, make tea etc for them even at stupid o'clock in the morning on mad busy wards. My mum once got brought a brew on A&E at about 5am!

littlemisscomper Thu 08-Feb-18 22:05:14

Your poor munchkin. I really hope she'll be ok tomorrow.

AnnieAnoniMouse Thu 08-Feb-18 22:07:05

Glad you got something sorted.

What did DD fall off?

You poor thing, you must have been terrified.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: