Freemasons feel discriminated against

(89 Posts)
catscan Thu 08-Feb-18 19:58:30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42986319

Yet they don’t admit women and nobody knows who they are hmm

FunnyBird Thu 08-Feb-18 20:01:32

Poor poppets.

Will nobody understand them?

Poor white, male, give-each-other-a-leg-up over anyone else poppets.

It's not fair. All these equality laws meaning they can't look after their own any more.

Fairenuff Thu 08-Feb-18 20:02:36

Link doesn't work. What's the story OP?

catscan Thu 08-Feb-18 20:05:45

Oh sorry - they’ve taken out ads in some national papers saying they’re misunderstood, basically

JontyDoggle37 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:08:50

There is a Freemasons organisation just for women, ,which admits only women, just like the men’s one only admits men. Any women wanting to be a Freemason can absolutely do so.

catscan Thu 08-Feb-18 20:14:24

Still segregated though isn’t it Jonty, and the male order is much more powerful and connected

TheFlis12345 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:17:49

Some branches do admit women (there are probably more women masons than men in the WI) and I know several that are not white. The guy who heads our local branch is Pakistani.

Some of these posts are the perfect example of why they felt the need to set the record straight!

viques Thu 08-Feb-18 20:18:15

Aw bless. I am sending them my very own secret hand gesture to show my solidarity. There you are guys, enjoy.

UnimaginativeNameChange1 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:33:31

Any women wanting to be a Freemason can absolutely do so.

But how do I get in touch with them if I don't know who they are? confused

TheFlis12345 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:48:05

Our local branch aren't remotely secretive, they often organise charity events and publicise them.

minisoksmakehardwork Thu 08-Feb-18 22:31:55

<hi-5's @TheFlis12345>

I get tired of defending freemasonry from people who think they know better but have no actual, factual experience to speak of.

Freemasons are no more connected and powerful than anyone else. I'm a member of the ptfa and Girlguiding. If I know someone who can help me with something through those connections, I ask them. Same as my Masonic Friends will ask the people they know before they might seek recommendation elsewhere. It puts people who would otherwise have no connection together - a builder, a paramedic, farmer, prison officer - the same as any other social club. The golf club, the football team, the women's institute, the round table, the chamber of commerce.

People have joked about deals being done on the golf course for years, they aren't tarred with the same brush as Freemasons.

Freemasons in my town do a lot more for other local charities than the local golf club do. They have raised funds for local youth football, scouting, girl guiding, young carers amongst others.

Freemasons can be invited by other people who know them. Or you can write to grand lodge and ask how to join, and they will arrange for you to be contacted by a local lodge.

and, they are not saying they are misunderstood. They are rightly fed up with being blamed for society's ills and are calling society out on it.

We (rightly), cant blame BME, LGTB, disabled. Why do we feel the need to blame a group of people for things we aren't prepared to deal with better ourselves?

In centuries past the people would have banded together for a bloody revolution by now.

Onthedowns Thu 08-Feb-18 22:40:33

THE few Freemasons I know are arrogant idiots who do everything for self worth not other people. Times are changing for years they have got away with things why should they continue

minisoksmakehardwork Thu 08-Feb-18 22:43:22

With that statement you may as well say 'all men are arrogant idiots' because you know a few who are.

I know a Freemason who is a prize prick. He would still be a prize prick even if he wasn't a Freemason.

ScreamingValenta Thu 08-Feb-18 22:44:48

I know a couple of Freemasons, and they're both pleasant, unassuming chaps. If any masons feel discriminated against, why would they not just leave?

minisoksmakehardwork Thu 08-Feb-18 22:50:52

Why should they?

Should I leave MN because I find there are many, many bigoted people on here. Or should I attempt reasonable discourse to understand why a person feels that way?

If we all ignored discrimination then black people would still be segregated, women would not be allowed to own a home much less vote for the government which makes up the rules. Love would be a forbidden fruit to many.

Weezol Thu 08-Feb-18 22:54:54

I don't know any Freemasons, but I assumed they were a bit like the Rotary, Lions etc.

I have read up on the roots of the Guilds and find them fascinating. We could do with revisiting the Guild ethos and organisation in our society.

ScreamingValenta Thu 08-Feb-18 22:55:42

minisoksmakehardwork Very good point; I take mine back.

AmICuteOrWhat Thu 08-Feb-18 23:26:12

Don't you know, it is trendy these days to be oppressed and discriminated against? We live in a society of waaah waaaah cry baby victims. Discrimination no longer just means serious things like segregation, apartheid, being denied a job, being beaten up etc it now means you are discriminated against if someone from a different race wears a hairstyle from your culture or race, or if you are denied the right to identify as a woman when you have a penis.

ladyballs Thu 08-Feb-18 23:28:43

Playing a very tiny violin 🎻 for the hurt feelings of the members of an influential all male club.

TheFlis12345 Thu 08-Feb-18 23:49:23

Did you not read the bit about them allowing women?!?

Belindabelle Thu 08-Feb-18 23:52:44

Aw what a wee shame. Lets hope some body takes up the cause and helps the out.

minimonkey11 Fri 09-Feb-18 00:04:03

Whats the actual point of the masons though? Golf clubs are where people play golf and chamber of commerce is for businesses to get together. What is the masons reason for being? I suppose i could actually just google it.

translationAndRotation Fri 09-Feb-18 02:48:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SilenceIsBroken Fri 09-Feb-18 03:18:00

This post references a deleted post. Talk Guidelines.

translationAndRotation Fri 09-Feb-18 03:32:02

I don't think it's ignorant. Perhaps unpleasant but far, far less unpleasant than ranking problems based on sex and race. There are words to describe people who do that, aren't there.

How about a situation where someone said "XX club feels discriminated against" and the reply was, "I don't care. It's only black women". Would you be calling out that poster or the one who called them ignorant?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now