Talk

Advanced search

To think you should find out the client's tastes BEFORE you redesign their home?

(50 Posts)
CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:19:56

I'm watching 60 minute makeover on Quest red and the team are making over the home of a woman in her 50s who has had a stroke.
Key brother?/friend? sneaking the team into her house where they are asked about her tastes. No floral, very minimalistic and light colours. However the designer has already chosen the scheme and bought all the materials. Floral wallpapers are planned and a black floor. Friend queries how she is going to keep a black floor clean (she is in a wheelchair). Designer shrugs and says it will look very 'contemporary'.

I am watching in disbelief. How is that poor woman going to react coming home to 60 minutes of bodging and her ruined violated home?

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:23:54

Her female friend is having grave doubts and is currently crying over the walls being stripped. "It's like we are stripping away her life". (Disclaimer - quotes not verbatim).

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:27:14

They are currently painting the walls black.

ClashCityRocker Thu 08-Feb-18 19:27:37

I've always wondered of the legality of this where it's purported that the person doesn't know what's happening.

There must be some law against going into someone's house and redecorating - criminal damage maybe?

And the person must have consented to be on telly so I guess it must just be fake.

MrsHathaway Thu 08-Feb-18 19:29:49

Usually the resident partner/spouse is in on it. Surely otherwise it's potentially criminal damage?!

I bloody love that programme though.

SisterMoonshine Thu 08-Feb-18 19:31:01

A mumsnetter was on 60mins, she maybe got lucky wth the designer though - they really put thought into the ideas and what they like. Seemed to from watching it anyway.

3luckystars Thu 08-Feb-18 19:32:19

It’s only tv. It’s all set up.

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:34:22

Her brother has given permission and let them in. It is their childhood home so perhaps he has the legal right to give permission too?

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:35:23

I've just realised - they don't do it in 60 minutes anymore...

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:36:13

@3luckystars do you think so? I am not usually so naive about these things.

FuzzyCustard Thu 08-Feb-18 19:36:41

We call it "60 Minute Muckover".

Some of the designs beggar belief...and many are very impractical..."look we have made your bedroom look twice the size by taking out the three wardrobes you need and replacing them with a shoebox".

And the frequency of a chair in front of a door....

FuzzyCustard Thu 08-Feb-18 19:37:59

And if there are any more black and white schemes, boudoir bedrooms, hotel chic anything or sparkly chandeliers I shall scream!

SaucyJack Thu 08-Feb-18 19:38:15

It wouldn't make great telly if they just repainted it the same colour.

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:39:41

Oh her husband has given permission as well. (Can you tell I missed the first few minutes?

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:43:21

@fuzzycustard I quite like 'hotel chic' blush. It certainly beats my current 'explosion in a toy shop' theme grin.

ArchchancellorsHat Thu 08-Feb-18 19:45:47

Poor woman - doesn't her husband know anything about what she likes? unless he's secretly harboured a love of floral walls and black floors for years of course.

MrsHathaway Thu 08-Feb-18 19:45:53

"look we have made your bedroom look twice the size by taking out the three wardrobes you need and replacing them with a shoebox".

Tbf most home makeover programmes do this. I do wonder where they expect their victims to put their knickers and stamp collections afterwards.

Oldraver Thu 08-Feb-18 19:47:09

Just turned it on...the friend doesn't look happy

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:49:12

How is she going to get her wheelchair round all those chairs?

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:50:45

She does seem really touched by it all.

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:53:15

The carpet is already dirty. Ah they got her a robot vacuum cleaner.

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:54:45

Oh no! Peter used the word 'Boudoir' to describe her bedroom.

Thelampshadelady Thu 08-Feb-18 19:55:19

Yanbu. Hideous program.
They do such a half arsed job.

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 19:59:31

Such a relief that she liked it. Although she has just said that it took her a few weeks to get used to the floral wallpaper.

CircleofWillis Thu 08-Feb-18 20:00:58

Now it seems they take a whole day to do the makeover. I can't even imagine how awful the finish was when it was really 60 minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now