Talk

Advanced search

Guilty pleasures .....

(54 Posts)
Boxingdaydisappoints Thu 08-Feb-18 18:19:30

What's your guilty pleasure? As a stepmother to two teenagers mine is when they pack their weekend bag and return to their DM, so she can take care of them and their lovely teenage behaviours. AIBU?

Sparklingbrook Thu 08-Feb-18 18:23:14

You don't like your stepchildren very much? That's not really a guilty pleasure is it?

I thought it more watching trashy TV or eating Nutella out of the jar.

Boxingdaydisappoints Thu 08-Feb-18 18:25:02

It's my guilty pleasure, guilty being the important word. What's guilty about nut flavoured chocolate spread?

WhooooAmI24601 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:26:44

Mine is eating Marmite out of the jar with a spoon. It's amazing.

YABU to dislike your Stepchildren (if you do dislike them, though I get the feeling you're being lighthearted) but if I'm totally honest I don't always like my own DC so I sympathise. Two teens in one house must be hard at times. I've just one pre-teen and some days he's a bit of a knob, others he's a delight. It's like playing the lottery as to which one will emerge from his hellpit bedroom each morning.

bridgetreilly Thu 08-Feb-18 18:27:02

Sneaking fictional facts into wikipedia pages.

LEMtheoriginal Thu 08-Feb-18 18:27:31

Actually the OP has nailed it!! Dave Gorman did a brilliant sketch based on this very thing. Teenagers are vile step or otherwise so sure she enjoys fucking them off but because she's half decent she feels guilty.

Nobody really needs to feel guilt about watching Shite TV or fancying Boris Johnson. Embarrassed. Mortified even but not guilty!

LEMtheoriginal Thu 08-Feb-18 18:28:37

Bridgetreilley that made me smile

Wellfuckmeinbothears Thu 08-Feb-18 18:29:33

That's a bit sad. I actually miss my dsd's when they go home. Their mum is amazing and I get on really well with her but I always feel a bit of a pang when they're going home. They're 10 and 5 at the moment, maybe it'll change when they hit the teens?!

My guilty pleasures are marmite on a chocolate hobnob and star fishing the bed when my dh leaves for work at 5am.

MrsMaxwell Thu 08-Feb-18 18:29:56

Thought a guilty pleasure was liking or enjoying something a bit naff confused

Boxingdaydisappoints Thu 08-Feb-18 18:31:29

Lighthearted yes! I should have included that as the wicked stepmother I am not, but occasionally I'm very glad to pack their teenage strops and moods into a bag for their DM to deal with.

AmethystRaven Thu 08-Feb-18 18:31:35

Take a Break Fate & Fortune magazine. It's garbage really, and I always feel like I should be doing something better, but I love it!

Sparklingbrook Thu 08-Feb-18 18:32:01

So did I MrsMaxwell.

YerAuntFanny Thu 08-Feb-18 18:32:14

If I have the house to myself and any of the Twilight Saga is on TV I sit quite happily glued to it pondering life with Edward, not Robert thingymabob, just Edward because I have a "thing" about dark, brooding vampires blush

Namethecat Thu 08-Feb-18 18:33:32

A cheese and onion crisp sandwich ( supposed to be low carbing ! )

Rebeccaslicker Thu 08-Feb-18 18:34:58

Taking my lovely shiny new toy for a bit of an extra spin on the way home with the music on and blaming the traffic when I get into DP and a stroppy tired toddler blush

IlikemyTeahot Thu 08-Feb-18 18:35:06

Wow folks, did OP actually say she didn't like her stepkids?
It's ok Boxingday My guilty pleasure is when my kids are at school and I can hear myself think without them desperately screeching for attention/instant feeding. I have 2 approaching puberty so I have a taste of what its going to be like with two teenagers at once....Im dreading it. Be thankful you get to send yours away haha

LEMtheoriginal Thu 08-Feb-18 18:36:06

See I proper fancy Colin firth and Patrick Dempsey - I fantasize about a threesome with those with no guilt whatsoever. It is simply a self pleasure. If however I were to actually go through with it then it would become a guilty pleasure....

topcat2014 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:38:26

We just had cornish pasties and waffles for tea.

with gravy

That counts as one of mine!

Abracadabraapileofbollocks Thu 08-Feb-18 18:39:00

hmm typical stepmum bashing here. I once caught my aunt punching the air when my cousin and I went out for the day as teens. She is a very loving and patient woman. Teens can be awful. We all need and are allowed to enjoy a break!

MavisPike Thu 08-Feb-18 18:39:22

Watching peaky blinders when I should be doing other things

Sarahh2014 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:41:09

Celeb magazines,American reality tv,Mcdonalds

Boxingdaydisappoints Thu 08-Feb-18 18:45:30

I'm not sending them off to fight in Syria for the weekend! They're going to their DM who I'm absolutely certaon feels the same way as I do when the situation is reversed. Thanks to those taking part lightheartedly.

Willowthewasp Thu 08-Feb-18 18:50:37

I eat marmite out of the jar with a spoon too whooo smile

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 08-Feb-18 18:54:34

When my teenaged DD stays out overnight so I can play my favourite One Direction DVD really loudly.
Triangle toasties.
Smash and gravy.

Shopkinsdoll Thu 08-Feb-18 18:57:02

She didn’t say she didn’t like them. I enjoy the peace and quiet too when my kids are out for the day. God some people on here! They like to twist things! 👊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: