Talk

Advanced search

Colleague can’t drive I’m doing all the driving!!

(239 Posts)
Gisele12 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:00:15

This may be quite long. I work for a company where we travel for work. The arrangement was that I’d be the one being driven until my old partner left and the only other person who was trained in the role of my old partner cannot drive.

This girl is however taking lessons, I understand they are expensive and she is genuinely doing her best however I am just getting a little of sick of doing all the driving. I get paid probably 5x more per day than what this girl gets paid (my role is higher) so not sure if I am being unreasonable.

I am self employed and my partner is PAYE so I do sometimes feel I have no obgliations to cart this girl around. There is no one else who could replace this girl and in all honesty I love my job and our working days are always fun but I just can’t be sure if I should speak to our boss and see what he thinks?

What does everyone else think?

Louiselouie0890 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:04:27

Would you not be driving anyway?

Gisele12 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:05:03

No, once she passes she will be doing all the driving.

Nomorechickens Thu 08-Feb-18 18:06:31

Could the company pay for a fast track driving course for her? Would you be happy being driven by a newly qualified inexperienced driver?

Leiaorganashair Thu 08-Feb-18 18:07:36

I don't know what you think the solution is. She can't drive. What do you suggest as an alternative?

Why do you get to be the one who doesn't drive normally? confused

Trashboat Thu 08-Feb-18 18:07:55

Do you think because you are on more money, you should be driven around?

Are you going out your way driving your colleague?

KittiKat Thu 08-Feb-18 18:09:04

I'd rather do the driving than have someone else inexperienced drive me! And, most companies don't insure drivers under 25 so hope she is not younger than that.

YABU. Why not drive? Unless you have no confidence in your own abilities?

If you go to the boss, what is he going to say? "Okay non driver now sacked and we will get you another person who can drive?"

I would be very careful, a lot of companies care about their PAYE employees, self employed people can always be replaced...

Louiselouie0890 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:09:10

Why won't it be split between you both then when she does pass?

LoniceraJaponica Thu 08-Feb-18 18:09:50

"No, once she passes she will be doing all the driving."

Why? If you are travelling together why wouldn't you share the driving?

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:09:57

I think you abu. The girl is taking lessons and when she passes her test she will do all the driving. Don't know why you can't share the driving when it comes to it though. You sound a bit entitled to me.

MissionItsPossible Thu 08-Feb-18 18:10:05

Well you can't do much. She's taking lessons. You may not be obliged to drive her but you also said she is irreplaceable so telling her she's going to have to use public transport to get around may leave you with nobody filling her role AND you doing all the driving.

I agree with the poster that said about asking for fast track lessons for her

Crispbutty Thu 08-Feb-18 18:10:55

I don’t understand why the driving wouldn’t be shared once she passes her test unless you are going round testing alcohol confused

NotAnotherEmma Thu 08-Feb-18 18:11:32

Gisele12

"No, once she passes she will be doing all the driving."

So basically you want to put her in your position for 5 times less pay and even though she's working hard to be able to drive your ungrateful arse around, it's still not fast enough for Princess Gisele. YABAC.

BertrandRussell Thu 08-Feb-18 18:12:11

Surely if she’s a girl she’s not old enough to drive?

scurryfunge Thu 08-Feb-18 18:13:17

Ha ha Bertrand, that was my first thought.

LML83 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:13:42

I don't I understand why pay is relevant to who drives. I would expect to take turns each but if the other person couldn't it wouldn't bother me to drive. Could you normally work in the car if driven?

Duckeggloo Thu 08-Feb-18 18:14:11

Right what?

Tinseltower Thu 08-Feb-18 18:16:05

Why wouldn’t you share the driving

treaclesoda Thu 08-Feb-18 18:17:46

If you're self employed then do you not get to set the terms under which you agree to work for your client?

tafftum Thu 08-Feb-18 18:17:46

YABU.
Why does it matter so much who drives? You're the only one who can legally drive and if you are both going to the same place why does it matter who drives and gets you both there.

"Once she passes she will be doing all of the driving"
Um, that's a bit unfair. When you are both able to drive it should be fairly split. The fact you are complaining about this DESPITE being on 5x as much as her is ridiculous??????hmm

lalalalyra Thu 08-Feb-18 18:18:13

I think you'd have to explain why she'd be the one doing all the driving before anyone could really comment accurately.

What is your job that means you work together every day, get paid 5x her wage, yet the driving is all her responsibility?

BakedBeans47 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:18:30

So it’s going to be alright for her, on 5 times less money than you, to do all the driving when she passes her test?

YABU

LEMtheoriginal Thu 08-Feb-18 18:20:07

So what is the issue with driving?

Use of your car?

You are a shit driver?

It is beneath you?

fuzzywuzzy Thu 08-Feb-18 18:21:21

Did you ever do any driving with your old colleague? If not why not? Did you ever consider you were being an unreasonable CF, for not taking turns driving when you actually have a license?

Why are you supposed to be driven around and do no driving?

Leiaorganashair Thu 08-Feb-18 18:21:58

You seem to be under the impression that if she spent enough money on lessons today she could be a qualified driver by tomorrow. That isn't how it works hmm

It took me a year to learn to drive. Some people I know took longer. Why does it matter if you drive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now