Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about my wage (nanny job)

(45 Posts)
Fabpinky Thu 08-Feb-18 16:55:57

AIBU Regarding my wages

I am a nanny currently working my notice for a family. It was agreed and put in my contract that I would work 6 hours during term time and 12 hours during school holidays. During October half term they went away and gave me 2 weeks off paid. They told me to call it an incentive to take the position. Come Christmas holidays I had annual leave to use up so only worked 1 week of the school holidays. I handed my notice in January and request the annual leave I was owed to be taken off the end of my notice, which made my last day of work Monday (the first day of half term)

Their new nanny is starting on Monday which is my last day. I said to my employer that I didn't have to work the Monday if she didn't want, as I didn't want to tread on the new nannies toes. My employer said she would like my to still work to show the nanny the house and area etc. Fine by me. She then text a few days later saying not to worry about working the Monday.

Here is my AIBU. I am paid monthly and weekly. It was agreed that I would withdraw £83 a week to cover any late nights whether they used them or not as there was not a time limit on the late nights. E.g one night they may be home 3 hours late, another 2 hours, but then another week never home late. Sometimes it worked in their favour, sometimes in mine. It was ALWAYS to be paid, it was included in my whole salary. When they were away on holiday it was paid and when I was off over Christmas it was paid.

My employer text me yesterday saying not to worry about the Monday they were sure that the new nanny could handle it, and to take the money as usual. I replied and said and take another £83 for next week as well? Because remember although I am not working next week I am using annual leave which I'm still paid for - she was unhappy about this and started to say that should we go back and calculate how many school holidays have I worked and recalculate my salary accordingly? As I was receiving a higher salary averaged out on the condition of the longer hours during the holidays. She also insinuated that she wouldn't be paying for the Monday she told me not to worry about. I told her there was nothing in the contract stating a salary recalculation upon termination so it wouldn't be necessary.

Today when I picked the children up from school they told me how daddy had said "fucking fabpinky" and "mummy was angry she said you wanted an extra £80" this isn't the first time the children have told me of their parents bad mouthing me.

So my AIBU is - am I being unreasonable to want to be paid the £83 + paid for Monday as I was willing to work it but told not to?

Side AIBU - would I be unreasonable to message the new nanny and tell them what a nightmare the family are? This family have worn me down and made me feel like I'm a rubbish nanny, and convinced me that everything was my fault. I kind of want to warn her what they are like and let her know it's not her. It's her first nanny position as well so she has nothing to compare it to.

Fabpinky Thu 08-Feb-18 18:15:29

Bump

mickeysminnie Thu 08-Feb-18 18:26:11

It sounds like they are lucky to be losing you.

Fabpinky Thu 08-Feb-18 18:30:12

Would you care to explain how you come to that conclusion?

lilyboleyn Thu 08-Feb-18 18:32:46

I think YAB a bit U.

mickeysminnie Thu 08-Feb-18 18:34:33

You work 6 hours during term time and 12 hours during holidays.
First school holidays they paid you full hours even though you did't work them.
Next school holidays you used annual leave.
Then you handed in your notice and are using annual leave to avoid the extra hours for these holidays.
You get a bonus to compensate for any unexpected late hours and still expect that to be paid even though you are on holidays so there will definitely not be any late hours.
It sounds like they have treated you fairly and you have taken the piss.

Fabpinky Thu 08-Feb-18 18:37:37

The first school holidays they were going away and told me to have the time off paid as an incentive, I would go to the house and pick up post feed the fish etc.

Second school holiday I used the annual leave I was entitled to and had to use before the end of the year.

Now I've handed in my notice and am using the annual leave I have accrued. When first requested to take it they said it wouldn't be possible and would pay me for it. Then a week later they said I could take it

Myheartbelongsto Thu 08-Feb-18 18:38:47

I agree you sound and like a pisstaker.

The new nanny might get on better so best not to say anything.

lilyboleyn Thu 08-Feb-18 18:38:47

Why ask if YABU when you clearly feel you’re not? This is just a vent really.

Fabpinky Thu 08-Feb-18 18:39:44

I'm just explaining

summerdreamz Thu 08-Feb-18 18:40:31

Yes YABU to expect the money just on the basis that you "were willing to work". You have not worked them and are leaving the family anyway so IMO they shouldn't pay you.
I agree with PP that the family sound lucky to be losing you, you sound very spiteful with your last AIBU but like I said, that's just my opinion.

Pengggwn Thu 08-Feb-18 18:41:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pengggwn Thu 08-Feb-18 18:42:09

Calvinlookingforhobbs Thu 08-Feb-18 18:42:57

Sorry but I think YABU. you did ask!

bumbleymummy Thu 08-Feb-18 18:43:07

It doesn’t sound like you’ve worked very much confused Lots of school holidays off (your longer days and surely the time that most people would need a nanny?

Duckeggloo Thu 08-Feb-18 18:43:08

You sound delightful

tattychicken Thu 08-Feb-18 18:44:05

When did you start working for them? You seem to have taken a lot of leave in a short space of time.

Fabpinky Thu 08-Feb-18 18:45:14

I understand what you're all saying RE annual leave, but it had to be used before the end of the year, and if they weren't happy for me to take it during Christmas and again now, they could have said no (which they did about this week coming, but then said it was ok to take it)

Pengggwn Thu 08-Feb-18 18:46:07

Fabpinky Thu 08-Feb-18 18:47:16

I started working with them at the beginning of September. They were going away October and said I could have the time off paid and not using any of my annual leave.

I am their 5th nanny since Jan 2017. There are a lot of other issues which would be a whole different thread, but I am inclined to say that I am not the problem.

runningoutofjuice Thu 08-Feb-18 18:48:38

How did you accrue all that holiday (I'm assuming 4 days) in just over a month? Is it based on you working 6 hour days and 12 hour days? Only you don't seem to have worked many 12 hour days!

TheSpottedZebra Thu 08-Feb-18 18:50:07

Why do you withdraw the 83? Is it declared for tax purposes?

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Thu 08-Feb-18 18:52:30

Is it not the case in most jobs that if you take annual leave, you only get paid basic salary and not any enhancements? If I take AL, I don’t get paid unsociable hours or regular overtime for example.

Mollieben Thu 08-Feb-18 19:00:09

You do seem to have taken more holiday than you've actually worked... I am not sure you should have even accrued that much but obviously they must have agreed it in the first place. Is the £83 in your actual contract?

Runlikeabull22 Thu 08-Feb-18 19:07:10

I'm a bit puzzled too. You started in September and have taken 3 lots of annual leave?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now