Talk

Advanced search

To chop my hair off!! I need a change!

(42 Posts)
QueenOfSpades6 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:08:52

Posting here for traffic as I need your help.

My hairs been long all of my life (except a short spell when I turned 20) nearly a decade on and I’m so bored. I posted in style & beauty and have been told not to cut it but I need a change! I’ve looked the same for the best part of 10 years. Help!

HLBug Thu 08-Feb-18 16:17:36

Ahh go on smile I think you'd look lovely with something just below shoulder length. And if you don't like it...hair does grow back!

SharkSave Thu 08-Feb-18 16:18:30

It'll always grow back! Go for it!

HungerOfThePine Thu 08-Feb-18 16:22:23

Go for it, I used to have hair your length but it was thin and and a bit lank. Then a few yrs ago spent sometime flicking through hair magz and chose an inverted style bob/ below the chin with tonnes of layers but obviously discussed it with hair dresser and tweaked the style so it want a carbon copy of the mag.

Looks great and easy to style, I might change the style but will never grow it long again.

TimeIhadaNameChange Thu 08-Feb-18 16:22:42

Go for it! Personally, I think a chin length bob would look nice.

HungerOfThePine Thu 08-Feb-18 16:22:57

Wasn't* a carbon copy.

NameChangedForThisQ Thu 08-Feb-18 16:24:11

Shoulder length bob no fringe would look great on you.

meredintofpandiculation Thu 08-Feb-18 16:25:24

Strange thing when you cut it is the first few times you brush it and your brush falls off the end of your hair! (because you're used to the resistance of the hair)

QueenOfSpades6 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:25:30

Only problem with a bob (and what happened last time I had it short at 20) is that my hair is incredibly thick, it just didn’t look right at all. I’m scared to cut it because I regretted it last time but I’m also so bored of how it is. I’m hoping that it might look different on my now that I’m a decade older? Im so torn, I definitely need a change though.

Crunchymum Thu 08-Feb-18 16:25:52

Do you have any styles in mind OP?

peachypetite Thu 08-Feb-18 16:26:21

Find a good hairdresser before you do anything drastic. But shorter could look more modern, definitely.

misscheery Thu 08-Feb-18 16:29:07

My hair was as long as yours and after a bad break up I've cut it into a long blunt bob. Jesus, I felt my head lighter, I swear. I love it so so so much I'll never let it grow that long again

Falconhoof1 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:29:48

Hard to tell but looks like you have a good face shape for a short cut. I would love to go short but my hair is really curly so wouldn't sit right!

Flamingo84 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:30:08

My hair was super long and grows pretty quickly so I had it cut into a lob last year. I donated the hair to the Little Princess Trust which is a great cause. It’s grown 5 inches in about 9 months.

At first it was strange using less shampoo and being able to dry it quickly. I missed being able to do some of my ‘go to’ styles and had to look up tips online for what to do with it. I found that shorter hair needs more styling in the mornings and was a bit more work but it was a great change. I felt like a new person, even my clothes looked different on me with shorter hair!

My hairdresser kept asking if I was sure as she’d had women cry once she’d cut it. So, be sure that you want it. Perhaps go for a mid length cut so you’re not loosing too much if you’re not 100%.
I don’t regret it, it’ll grow back if I miss long hair!

Rebeccaslicker Thu 08-Feb-18 16:30:21

Do you live near somewhere like selfridges that has wigs, OP? You could try on some different lengths to get an idea.

I did that when i was thinking of going blonde. It saved me from making a huge mistake grin

Ymamiss Thu 08-Feb-18 16:31:37

I’ve got similar length hair. I sometimes want to cut it short but then I remember how versatile it is for nights out etc, and I haven’t got time in the mornings to style a bob.

HungerOfThePine Thu 08-Feb-18 16:33:31

Best thing to do is take your time(like a month), pick a good few styles and pick a decent hairdresser/stylist and talk it over with them. With you hair being long you could try different slightly shorter lengths and styles over time until you find what you like and want to settle with.

When I got my haircut it was a drastic change and it was nice but it got nicer over time as I learned what I liked and what suited me better.

Woollypinksocks Thu 08-Feb-18 16:36:33

I wouldn't cut it short but then I love long hair.

Sidge Thu 08-Feb-18 16:40:50

Having thick hair shouldn't be a barrier to having a good cut. Something like a long graduated bob could look amazing, especially with some fringe. You just need to find someone who knows what they're doing.

Aridane Thu 08-Feb-18 16:41:39

My biggest hair regret was having long hair cut into a bob. (Wanted a change after a long period of illness). Still hasn’t grown back to its former glory.

You can have a change without the ubiquitous bob

Gladiola44 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:42:34

Don’t cut it! You will look much older and mumsy, everyone has the chin length bob. It needs a lot more styling and more regular cuts as well. You have lovely hair.

sirlee66 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:45:52

Yes cut it!! And then please donate it to The Little Princess Trust! (Think a PP mentioned it) it's such a good thing to do!!

http://www.littleprincesses.org.uk/

Ghostonthedancefloor Thu 08-Feb-18 16:46:32

DON'T DO IT!

I used to have hair just like yours, I had to cut it off as it started mysteriously snapping off and looked terrible. I miss it so much.

You'll get just as bored with the shorter style after a while.

GreatDuckCookery Thu 08-Feb-18 16:49:16

It's lovely hair OP. I'm inclined to say don't cut it too! If you fancy a change maybe put a fringe in, not too short but sort of eye level. That would look good.

GreatDuckCookery Thu 08-Feb-18 16:50:56

This sort of thing OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now