Talk

Advanced search

To give DS his red book for his birthday?

(67 Posts)
TheSecondOfHerName Thu 08-Feb-18 15:21:29

I'm wondering about giving DS his Personal Child Health Record when he turns 18.

Obviously that wouldn't be his only present.

If IABU, what else am I supposed to do with it? Presumably I'm not expected to hold on to it for ever...

PurpleTraitor Thu 08-Feb-18 15:22:39

One of ours was lost by approximately six months of age. The other is around somewhere and has two things written in it.

I’d suggest an alternative would be the recycling bin.

MrsJayy Thu 08-Feb-18 15:25:17

He will probably give you a wtf face but why not let him look through it I have my dds in a drawer i have their hospital cards and bracelets in them I think it is more of a parent thing than a child thing to keep

TeenTimesTwo Thu 08-Feb-18 15:26:21

I'd hang on to it until he is older / living somewhere stable. I don't think it will get looked after at 18. Hang on to it with his birth certificate and GCSE results certificates.

thornyhousewife Thu 08-Feb-18 15:26:22

That is a truly shit present.

halcyondays Thu 08-Feb-18 15:27:37

I'm impressed you still know where it is. Ours are about somewhere, but who knows where.

Angrybird345 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:28:06

Er.... no!

TillyTheTiger Thu 08-Feb-18 15:29:17

Keep hold of it until he has children himself. Then he'd probably enjoy looking through it so he can compare himself with his DC (if you've filled in loads yourself too like firsts etc, if it's just a list of immunisations etc then maybe don't bother). My Mum gave me my baby book when DS was born and it was lovely to look through it.

spugzbunny Thu 08-Feb-18 15:29:27

He won't appreciate it at 18. Wait until he's having kids of his own and then he'll probably be actually interested and won't have thrown it out in the mean time!

meredintofpandiculation Thu 08-Feb-18 15:29:37

Has it got any thing useful in it, like dates of vaccination? If so, keep it somewhere safe (an 18 year old probably hasn't yet got the hang of keeping documents safe). If nothing useful, then either bin it or wait till he's middle-aged, when people often get a fit of nostalgia and start valuing family history in all its manifestations.

Elmo230885 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:29:42

I think its a lovely thought. I'm quite a sentimental person, its the sort of thing I'd probably do.

Housewife - why be so rude?

LoopyLou1981 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:29:45

I’d love that as a present! I think it’s a lovely idea x

CMOTDibbler Thu 08-Feb-18 15:29:48

I'm impressed you still know where it is. DS's hasn't been seen since he was 2

Sparklingbrook Thu 08-Feb-18 15:29:51

I still have the DSs. I wrote in it when they had all of their injections, when they had chicken pox etc In case they ever want to know.
It also has the graphs of their height every year.

When they move out they can I either take it with them or bin it.

YerAuntFanny Thu 08-Feb-18 15:29:55

YABU.

My Mum has kept mine and got all sentimental amongst the family photos one night, pictures of things I get. A book with some numbers in... I couldn't have been less interested.

I'll probably just recycle ours when they're older tbh.

BigFishy Thu 08-Feb-18 15:30:42

That is a truly shit present

Totally agree with this grin

It is worth having a note of all the vaccinations he's had and when for the future though.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 08-Feb-18 15:31:31

That is a truly shit present
I think it has the potential to be both shit and genius (he has a good sense of humour).

ShowMePotatoSalad Thu 08-Feb-18 15:31:41

As it already belongs to him I think it would be pretty poor to try to gift it to him!

LanaKanesTerfyVagina Thu 08-Feb-18 15:36:06

One of ours was lost by approximately six months of age

Thank fuck I'm not the only one!

We've moved a few times since DS was born....and I never bothered with it anyway!
He was happy and healthy, did all the stuff in roughly the right places.....why bother?

It's a shit present sorry.

I asked my friend about this ages ago.....she doesn't even remember owning one! grin

BigFishy Thu 08-Feb-18 15:36:07

It's a shit present, but I don't think it would make the recipient laugh, as such would it? Just be a bit bemused.

LittleLionMansMummy Thu 08-Feb-18 15:36:41

Slightly different but my mum gave me my (full, proper) birth certificate for my birthday and the knitted booties I came home from hospital in for my 30th birthday. It was my favourite present. We'd joked for years that the reason I only got a scrappy piece of paper as a birth certificate was probably because my dad had to pay extra for the full one (he's notoriously tight). And I went through a stage of asking them if I was adopted as a result of the original scrappy one. It was a lovely thoughtful present that played on the years of family jokes.

A red book though, I'm not sure about that!

BeachOrPool Thu 08-Feb-18 15:38:12

I can't believe PP and you included, OP, would consider recycling/trashing your DS's baby book shock

I can't imagine even thinking of doing such a thing with my precious, cherub of a DS's sad

silkpyjamasallday Thu 08-Feb-18 15:39:08

I'm not sure I would have been overjoyed to get my red book as an 18th present. My parents made me a beautiful photo album though with lots of pictures of me from birth to current that I hadn't seen before - they'd kept back some particularly funny ones from the family albums and had written lots of captions about my potential to be a chef/vet/geologist with relevant childhood photos. Best present I have ever received - you could make similar and include some of the more interesting pages from the red book (weight graph? Height Predictions?)if you bothered filling it all out.

Anxiousally Thu 08-Feb-18 15:40:20

Aww I think it's lovely you still have it I'd definitely give him it when he has a child of his own though I'd love mine or DHs to have a look through now!

Scribblegirl Thu 08-Feb-18 15:41:10

Oh I'd love that OP but I'm like the PP who said they were sentimental. I'm really good with filing and have had all my personal documents since I left home at 18 but there's also the risk he'll lose it if he's not quite so organised...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: