Advanced search

To wonder what happened to the babies from Bringing Up Baby

(6 Posts)
SophieGiroux Thu 08-Feb-18 13:14:49

Does anyone remember the documentary shown in 2007 on Channel 4 comparing different methods of parenting? It compared a strict 1950s approach, Dr Spock and the continuum concept (attachment parenting).

I watched it pre-children and concluded that the attachment parenting was what I felt comfortable with and that's what I have done pretty much with my girls. My 8 year old now is very confident despite taking years to sleep properly on her own!

I was just watching them again on YouTube and wondering how the children had turned out. Have the ones who were left to cry in their rooms from birth for 4 hours between feeds turned out to be anxious children who can't trust their parents? Did the attachment ones end up independent just like the ones from the tribes they were based on?

SophieGiroux Thu 08-Feb-18 19:54:31

Just me then?! grin

RadioGaGoo Thu 08-Feb-18 20:05:51

They left newborn babies to cry in a room for four hours as part of an experiment? That's pretty horrendous. Poor babies.

Elementtree Thu 08-Feb-18 20:15:41

I remember because I had just had my eldest who was really colicky baby and I was beside myself with exhaustion. That programme, and seeing the attachment parenting, co-sleeping, slings, ditching routines, gave me the confidence to ditch the baby whisperer and go full-hippy. It saved what little was left of me.

Elementtree Thu 08-Feb-18 20:17:48

Sorry, I'll finish my thought shall I grin Yes, I'd be interested to see how they grew up but I'd put money on that the early parenting didn't make a joy of difference in the long term.

BettyMorris Thu 08-Feb-18 20:19:24

I was watching this on YouTube the other day. I'd be fascinated to know "how it turned out". First watched it years ago and now I have a ds of my own I find it even more interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now