Talk

Advanced search

To dread friend's calls?

(6 Posts)
Yawnyprawn Thu 08-Feb-18 12:03:58

I have an old uni friend who lives in another city who calls me around once a week for a chat. We've known each other a long time and there was a time when I enjoyed her company, but the issue now is that she talks/rants non stop about everything that's bothering her and I can hardly get a word in edgeways! Sometimes she won't even ask how I am or what I have been up to at all during the entire call. I feel like she treats me as her counsellor, but the relationship has been like this for so long I don't know how to change it.

It's been particularly difficult since DD was born 7 months ago because I no longer have the mental energy to listen, so I make excuses and avoid her calls. I barely have any time or space for myself as it is, so I don't want to spend an hour a week listening to somebody ranting.

I don't feel like I can avoid her completely as I might soon be moving to her town, plus she has asked me to be maid of honour at her wedding, which is another thing i feel awkward about. WWYD?

Sarahh2014 Thu 08-Feb-18 12:05:35

Could u abruptly change to conversation or even just tell her how you feel? It is a tricky one

UpstartCrow Thu 08-Feb-18 12:08:19

Can you arrange to meet her in a coffee shop and see if a change of venue changes her behaviour?

Fosterdog123 Thu 08-Feb-18 12:14:14

I would personally be gently honest with her. If you can't get a word in edgeways, then it'll have to be by text. Ignore her next call and then text her. Give her a shit sandwich (nice thing, harsh feedback, nice thing!). Say you value her friendship and like her a lot but that the calls are starting to feel draining, as it feels very one-sided. Say you'd really like to keep in touch and hope you haven't offended her but felt it important to be honest. It's a very direct approach and it could go either way but I think it's a much better approach than ghosting someone, which is cruel. She might flounce but then again, she might be mortified at how she's been and change.

mumgointhroughtorture Thu 08-Feb-18 12:55:29

Maybe you could joke and say " do you only ring me up to moan " then laugh and say shall we change the subject to something more light hearted ?

Yawnyprawn Thu 08-Feb-18 18:16:16

Thanks very much for the suggestions! I think I will give the humour a shot first and then try the shit sandwich if that doesn't work. I agree that ghosting is cruel, especially with such an old friendship. Cheers all! flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: