Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your advice/opinion on going back to Uni

(14 Posts)
Nightscroller1 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:55:53

This isn't really an AIBU but I wanted as much input possible, sorry (but thanks for reading!).

I'm 30, just had my first baby and before this surprise was planning university.

I've deferred for a year and can start this August. It's accountancy and finance. I'd graduate when I'm 34.

My job just now is £27,000 a year plus a possible £2,700 bonus.

I realise when I finish this degree I won't be qualified as such but I can't train on the job as that involves a company investing in me (no one wants to sob).

Would you go back to uni or do you think it's pointless and I'd regret it? Any positive 'I went back to uni when I was older stories'

Argeles Thu 08-Feb-18 11:03:17

Would you be at uni part time, and so still able to do some work, or would you be leaving work to do the Degree?

Do you have a Degree already?

I have a Degree and a Postgraduate qualification, but I’m now a sahm and studying part time for a second undergraduate Degree.

I’d paid off all of my student loans from before, yet the utter fuckwits would not allow me to obtain a tuition fee, or maintenance loan, as you’re only allowed to take out these loans once! Fucking bastards! Even though I’ve paid copious amounts of interest and paid it all back within 6 years of graduating.

It now means that I have had to stretch my Degree out over 6 years, and my DH works his arse off in order to pay for the tuition fees. That’s why I want to know if you have a Degree already, as the fuckers won’t lend you a penny if so.

Johnnycomelately1 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:04:23

Have you had feedback that having a degree would increase your chances of sponsorship? Otherwise it's quite an expensive risk.

Nightscroller1 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:07:33

It would be 'full time' but my understanding is that it's 2.5 days a week.

Not sure if I could work part time, maybe a Saturday when OH is watching the baby and 1 day a week if OH family watch baby (thinking 1 day at nursery, 2 days with OH family and 1/2 day with friend).

My current job wouldn't allow me to stay and study. It's in the insurance industry so not directly related and they are of the opinion if it doesn't benefit them then why support. I once asked to do my insurance exams and the head of my department said no as she'd be training me up to move elsewhere...

I don't have a degree already and I'm based in Scotland so think it may be different from England. That aside, I've never got a student loan.

Nightscroller1 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:08:18

No guaranteed job at the end, id be finishing the degree and starting from scratch...

Argeles Thu 08-Feb-18 11:09:42

Should have also said, that I’m doing this Degree in order to add another string to my bow, and potentially diversify upon graduation. It may enable me to work from home some of the time, which I would love.

I adore being a sahm, but studying again refreshes me. It’s lovely to have a bit of independence, and an academic, and adult conversation once in a while.

It’s hard work fitting everything in, but it’s great to have another focus. I was getting a bit too focused on what to watch on tv next, and constantly monitoring the news - now I don’t have time!

WTFIsThisVirus Thu 08-Feb-18 11:10:33

Do you want to be an accountant? Can you try to become at least part-qualified on your own, instead of doing a degree?

If you're doing a degree full time, this is 3 years of study, but you won't be a qualified accountant without then studying some more. So it could be more beneficial to become part qualified on your own, and then seek sponsorship.

Argeles Thu 08-Feb-18 11:11:08

If you’re based in Scotland, wouldn’t that mean that you don’t have to pay for tuition fees?

If so, if I were you, I’d go for it!

Johnnycomelately1 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:11:50

Is changing employer and doing those insurance exams a possibility? The reason I ask is that an accountancy and finance degree, as you say, doesn't actually qualify you as an accountant and is often not even a preferred degree for employers.

ClashCityRocker Thu 08-Feb-18 11:13:22

If you want to go into accountancy I'd look at studying ACA, Acca or Cima over doing a degree.

And these can all be done around working.

LIZS Thu 08-Feb-18 11:15:47

Agree with clashcity. You could probably find a finance job or apprenticeship which would allow you time off for exams. Is your current job related?

shouldnthavesaid Thu 08-Feb-18 11:19:19

I'm 26 and doing my second degree following 3 years in FT employment - though a healthcare one with registration with HCPC I , not accounting. Government are paying tuition fees plus full loan and bursary for first two years but I have to self fund second two, so will need to do a lot of work around my course. Financially I'm struggling quite a bit as loan and bursary barely cover rent nvm living expenses, but bank have given me a 2k interest free overdraft as a safety net for the course and 1 year after.

I think at an older age it's somewhat easier to study as you know your own mind, see lecturers as human and can talk freely to them (if that makes sense!), haven't got a school mindset about the whole thing and less desire to get pissed every night!

Merryoldgoat Thu 08-Feb-18 11:25:35

What’s your goal? Is it to become a qualified accountant? In practice? Industry?

If you want to work as an accountant/FM/FC etc in a commercial environment I’d look at CIMA.

The foundation level is a stand alone qualification equivalent to AAT, can be studied easily from home and is reasonably cheap.

With that under your belt you would be in a good position to get a job with study support for the professional exams.

Johnnycomelately1 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:58:17

If you want to go into accountancy I'd look at studying ACA, Acca or Cima over doing a degree.

For ACA you need a training contract though, which I assume is what the OP tried to get. I'm not sure about the other two, as in, I'm not sure how structured the work placement needs to be.

I do agree though that i would be better to get some entry level qualifications that are recognised in the profession if that's the end goal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: