Talk

Advanced search

To ask your options on breast lump!

(12 Posts)
Caterpillarx1 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:28:41

Just got back from the doctors, have a lump on the bottom of the left breast. Can move it side to side between fingers. When she checked I didn’t even need to point it out to her or do any digging she found it within 30 seconds super easily. She said it could be a cyst or something. I’ve been breast feeding 8 months now. She said go back in 2 weeks if it’s still not gone. I don’t know what I’m expecting from posting here but I’m so anxious please reassure me! sad

Caterpillarx1 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:29:05

I meant opinions not options!! Sorry

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 08-Feb-18 10:30:55

9 out of 10 breast lumps are benign, so the odds are in your favour. Don't poke it as you will make it sore and then worry more smile

Hopefully it'll go away soon flowers

JustVent Thu 08-Feb-18 10:31:25

Dodgy cancerous lumps tend to be ‘fixed’ and unable to move.

Caterpillarx1 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:33:43

Thank you flowers she did say I don’t think it’s cancerous but I can’t help but worry at finding a new lump.

Merryoldgoat Thu 08-Feb-18 10:35:57

The mobility is a good sign, and breast changes are normal with hormones and breastfeeding etc so very good chance it’s nothing.

I think the Dr’s advice seems reasonable but I absolutely understand why you’re concerned.

In you situation I would wait but insist on a referral if it either grew in the next two weeks or didn’t disappear.

FWIW I have had two lumps investigated and both were completely normal. I also had a very sore breast which was resolved with medication and has never recurred.

Very good chance you have nothing at all to worry about.

TheVanguardSix Thu 08-Feb-18 10:37:59

Every lump, every single one, warrants an ultrasound, which is perfectly safe to do while breastfeeding. An ultrasound will give the consultant enough information to push investigations further if necessary.

It is incredibly common to develop a lump (or several) when breastfeeding. I've always ended up with breast ultrasounds when breastfeeding my kids because of a lump (caused by a blocked milk duct).

I'm surprised your GP didn't refer you. I'd either ring up and push for one OR you can pay out of pocket for a private ultrasound (I do this every couple of years for a pelvic scan). It's an expense, but worth it. Still, it shouldn't have to come to this. You should just expect to be referred to the breast clinic. I suppose if the lump is very, very recent, this is her reason for waiting two weeks.

It is almost certainly a benign lump related to breastfeeding and your own fluctuating hormones. But best to act quickly with lumps so you can rule out your concerns. Call back and get referred. Good luck!

Caterpillarx1 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:19:34

Thank you for the replies. I think I’m going to go back on Monday and push for an ultra sound

Rebeccaslicker Thu 08-Feb-18 11:21:31

Breastfeeding can cause lumps - I had to go for checks after finding one when DD was 2 weeks old. So well done for noticing it and for getting it checked out.

I agree, whilst it sounds to be benign from the description, better to be safe than sorry, so push for a referral or if you have health insurance just book one at a private hospital.

Dinosauratemydaffodils Thu 08-Feb-18 11:22:27

I had similar (well I still do) even down to location. GP referred me to the hospital and a Consultant checked it and then the other breast "just in case" which came as a shock. I can't remember exactly what he said it was but he offered to remove it but said that would just be cosmetic as wasn't anything bad. That was about 12 years ago, it's still here, still the same size.

Rebeccaslicker Thu 08-Feb-18 11:22:32

(Subject to insurer approving it of course!)

Lots of luck OP.

Caterpillarx1 Thu 08-Feb-18 12:15:00

Thank you I’m feeling a bit more reassured now flowersflowersflowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: