Talk

Advanced search

To think Jehovah's Witnesses ARE cold callers?

(27 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 08-Feb-18 09:52:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cheekyandfreaky Thu 08-Feb-18 09:55:29

YANBU

Flynnshine Thu 08-Feb-18 09:58:05

YANBU. I totally agree. They are not trying to sell you something that will cost you money but they are trying to sell you their religion and attempt to convert you. I don't think they should be allowed to knock your door and disturb your day!

iklboo Thu 08-Feb-18 09:58:53

Cold calling is soliciting business. They're soliciting for you to join their religion.

We've got a sign on our door with a specific line for No Religious Groups.

Ginosaji Thu 08-Feb-18 09:59:49

Yanbu, this kind of thing really winds me up, if i ever decided I believed in god and wanted to find out more about a particular religion, i would do my own research, and am quite capable of finding out where my local church/temple/mosque is should i pick a religion

Either way, any religion that feels the need to bug me on my own doorstep and try and guilt trip me into signing up would immediately put me off them, i had a couple of JWs at my door once, I politely said no and closed the door, and they actually called through the letter box and asked me "wasn't I concerned about me and my kids going to hell" angry

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:00:36

We haven't had JW round here for years, i thiught it was the no col callers sign

But now im thinking its because we invited them in and gave them tea and biscuits...we may have frightened them

Deshasafraisy Thu 08-Feb-18 10:02:16

I think they actually are trying to sell you something, I’m sure they sell their books to you. Pretty sure they aren’t just trying to save your soul.

DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops Thu 08-Feb-18 10:02:55

I've tried the cold caller line on them before and they said they don't come under that category. They bloody do angry.

StopCallingMeShirley Thu 08-Feb-18 10:04:15

They're trying to sell you their wacky beliefs.

Last time they turned up here I told them I was an atheist and a blood donor. They couldn't get away quick enough.

Gromance02 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:08:13

YANBU. Cheeky fuckers. No-one should dare try and persuade anyone else to follow their cult nonsense. Be it Jehovahs, Christians or Scientologists.

LloydColeandtheCoconuts Thu 08-Feb-18 10:09:25

How do you get into a cold caller free zone? I’d love that!

But in answer to your question, yes they are ‘selling’ you something. Their role is to recruit members. I stupidly got into a doorstep conversation with a very nice JW but it meant she would knock every week and ask for me by name. In the end I got DP to speak to her and she soon stopped knocking grin

ThomasShelbysBunnet Thu 08-Feb-18 10:11:43

The last house I lived in I made the mistake of chatting to them and told them my name. They were back weekly until I moved.
I read on here that you can ask to be put on a no calling list and they'll never darken your door again grin
Two different ladies appeared here once and I just told them I was on the no-call list now if they could please update it. Pleasant chat about my dog and they were on their way.

Sarahjconnor Thu 08-Feb-18 10:11:50

Last time they came here I answered the door in latex gloves and a hygiene mask and the kids did blood curdling screams in the kitchen - it was absolutely hilarious and they’ve never been back grin

sinceyouask Thu 08-Feb-18 10:20:35

Of course they're cold callers.
Some religious people have a strange belief that religion should be treated differently from other things, that religious beliefs deserve special respect simply because they are religious beliefs, and that people shouldn't be cross about proselytising because it's motivated by a desire to 'save' others. They're wrong, and if they don't listen to a polite request to leave someone alone, they can't complain if subsequent requests are far less polite.

GreatDuckCookery Thu 08-Feb-18 10:26:31

Sarah that's funny grin

I agree they shouldn't be knocking. Next time they point out the sign and hopefully it'll stop them. My neighbour has one in his porch and that helps.

dingdongdigeridoo Thu 08-Feb-18 10:29:05

I lie and tell them I’m a nurse and that usually makes them piss off. No point trying to convert someone who is pro blood transfusion I guess?

I have a friend raised in the religion whose upbringing was horribly abusive. I wish I had the guts to tell them to fuck off properly.

MamaLupine Thu 08-Feb-18 10:33:08

If you tell them you've had a blood transfusion they recoil in horror. That was my dad's favourite tactic. He was telling the truth, too.

Bluntness100 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:37:27

Of course they are cold callers.

However, I seldom get them but love when I do. That's prob why they don't want to come back. I find them slightly fascinating and amusing.

I'm all "ooh, alright then, you want me to come to a meeting" "do people actually go to it". and "do you all, really believe in this stuff then and just go round folks doors". with an incredulous amused look on my face. Sadly they then fuck off rather quickly. grin

skippykips Thu 08-Feb-18 11:06:12

My DDs dad had a kidney transplant 2 years ago. I dare them to tell my DD that it was wrong for him to accept transplant.
They usually say 'sorry for bothering you' and walk away.

Yes, i believe they are cold callers. I have no problem with any religion. I am not religious. However, i do not need somebody at my door trying to make me believe in something I have no interest in.
I was once told I was going to hell as I am unmarried with a child. My reply was 'oh good, heaven seems far too boring and uneventful for me'

Iwillstartagainonmonday Thu 08-Feb-18 11:16:59

YNBU.

I have a sign on my door, stating no cold callers, no leaflets/menus or religions.

I was taking the rubbish out to the bin this week when they were doing their rounds. Apparently it was okay to ask if I had a minute and try and give me a booklet because I was outside.

lookingforthedroids Thu 08-Feb-18 11:37:03

If you contact their local Kingdom Hall and tell then that you don't want anyone to come round any more, that usually does the trick.

PistFump Thu 08-Feb-18 11:47:30

I can't bear it. Where i used to live we had some quite persistent callers, one time I left the door and porch unlocked as dh was going to be home in next 5 mins, and one JH caller let himself in the porch, and opened my front door uninvited. I went a bit nuclear about that!

TheIcon Thu 08-Feb-18 11:52:13

I used the blood transfusion one once. A couple came with their daughter and started their spiel. I let them finish and asked if I could talk.

I knelt down and spoke to the little girl and said "If you get poorly, mammy and daddy won't let the nice doctor help you as they would rather you died than be helped" then looked at the parents and said "Wouldn't you?" and closed the door.

Never came back for some reason.

Now I'm older, I probably wouldn't have done that to the child but there was truth to it.

cantsleepclownwilleatme Thu 08-Feb-18 13:10:20

@TheIcon holy shit balls!! That's one way to do it! 🤭😆

cantsleepclownwilleatme Thu 08-Feb-18 13:11:14

I don't understand - does anyone here know - how are they able to refuse medical treatment for children? Surely that's not allowed???

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: