Talk

Advanced search

To go to GP today with this...

(14 Posts)
SteX Thu 08-Feb-18 06:45:21

Time sensitive as on-the-day appts open at 8am.

I've been suffering with excruciating abdominal pain - biliary colic.

Been doing some research and the pain med I've been taking is exacerbating the problem.

AIBU to go and request alternate meds? Should I take any of my research? I'm rather medically-literate but don't want to appear a know-it-all or get a "problem patient" label!

WS12 Thu 08-Feb-18 06:48:10

Yes I would go and say it's becomming unbearable can you have an alternative! Don't be afraid to ask. Good luck x

SteX Thu 08-Feb-18 06:54:38

I know what the alternative should be, is suggesting that too much? blush

This is a GP who denies I have Myasthenia Gravis too, but has been broadly supportive on everything else tbh, including M.E, which is rare.

gamerwidow Thu 08-Feb-18 06:57:07

You are in pain, you know how to stop the pain. What’s to consider, go. My mums cancer consultant listened and switched her drugs we when reasearched and thought they were causing her symptoms. Any good doctor will at least listen and consider your research even if they don’t end up agreeing.

SteX Thu 08-Feb-18 07:22:00

Hadn't thought of it like that! Will grab an appointment when they open.

SteX Thu 08-Feb-18 08:18:23

Fuckity fuck fuck.

Usual GP fully booked, so am seeing a male (this is going to be fun...) I've never seen previously (even more fun....). No doubt he'll want to prod my abdo too, hope I don't have a full-blown panic attack on the table...

Now I'm REALLY stressed...

WS12 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:25:34

How did it go OP? 🌺

SteX Thu 08-Feb-18 11:52:45

Rude, dismissive, disrespectful and it's all in my head.

And I'm not joking.

MyBrilliantDisguise Thu 08-Feb-18 11:58:16

Have you got gallstones, OP?

SteX Thu 08-Feb-18 12:02:50

Well, had Cholecystectomy last year, but have continued having "gallstone attacks" - choledocholithiasis since, essentially bile sludge, bits of cholesterol or stones still being formed.

Grumpbum Thu 08-Feb-18 12:03:25

Is it codeine/dihydrocodeine? If so I get Bilary spasm if I take it

SteX Thu 08-Feb-18 12:05:13

The alternative? No, Tramadol or Oxycodone. I'm already on Tramadol and it doesn't touch the pain.

MyBrilliantDisguise Thu 08-Feb-18 12:07:56

Are you trained in medicine, OP, or have you just taken an interest because of your health problems?

SteX Thu 08-Feb-18 12:10:25

I have some medical training.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: