Talk

Advanced search

Do I tell DM about the tickets or not?

(43 Posts)
HowDoIKeepSecret Wed 07-Feb-18 23:04:18

My DM and I are really close, chat daily, text each other a couple of times a day etc.

She rung me today to say she was disappointed as her so called friends from work are going to a concert she really wants to go to in July but didn't invite. She sounded so upset.

I didn't know her friends were going, seems like they're going on a different night anyway. But I did know they were my DMs favourite band so I got tickets for me and her to go when they went on sale. I was super excited when i got them. I've been saving since they announced their tour on twitter last year.

I've arranged a babysitter for my DD (I know DM will take me as she's always asking me if I'd go to see them with her) and I can't wait to see her face.

They're supposed to be a birthday present for her birthday in March. I felt so sorry for her though. She sounded close to tears, that she wasn't invited by her friends.

WIBU to tell her tomorrow when I see her instead that I've got the tickets, and have had them since they went on sale? I know it kind of ruins the surprise but I do also have a small gift to give her on her actual birthday so it's not like she'll be getting nothing.

Altwoo Wed 07-Feb-18 23:09:47

Tell her smile. You’ll make her day.

TathitiPete Wed 07-Feb-18 23:09:56

I would. I probably shouldn't but I would. I wouldn't be able to resist. Look at it this way, your DM has longer to look forward to it.

Argeles Wed 07-Feb-18 23:10:17

Yes, tell her - she’ll be so excited!!!

She’ll have time to plan her outfit, and possibly to find some real friends too!

What a great Daughter you are!

Els1e Wed 07-Feb-18 23:10:31

I would tell her tomorrow. She needs the lift now and will join you in the excitement and anticipation.

DawnAnn Wed 07-Feb-18 23:11:07

Yes, I would definitely tell her.

murasaki Wed 07-Feb-18 23:11:38

tell her, she'll be really happy

LiquoricePickle Wed 07-Feb-18 23:11:55

I would tell her! She's going to be so so excited!

FinallyFree123456789 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:12:25

Tell her smile
She’ll love it!
And her face will be a picture flowers

Bossbaby12 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:12:45

Awww your poor Mum! Definitely tell her, I'm excited for her!

Crispbutty Wed 07-Feb-18 23:13:26

As long as its not the Spice Girls yanbu!

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 07-Feb-18 23:13:58

I would tell her to keep the date clear and there is a special surprise and not to worry about the gig

HowDoIKeepSecret Wed 07-Feb-18 23:14:01

Crisp Not spice girls no

petbear Wed 07-Feb-18 23:16:09

You could tell her, but it doesn't change the fact her friends didn't invite her! confused

Or did you tell them YOU were taking her?.............

Crispbutty Wed 07-Feb-18 23:16:57

I would tell her so that she can go into work and say "well bitches, I'm glad you didnt bother inviting me as my lovely daughter bought me a ticket so shove that up yer arses"

HowDoIKeepSecret Wed 07-Feb-18 23:18:30

Pet No I've never met these friends, and have never spoken to them at all.

petbear Wed 07-Feb-18 23:19:49

Oh OK, thanks smile

Lovely that you are taking her, but still a pisser that her mates didn't ask her (unless they also have a secret ticket for her?!) blush

tobee Wed 07-Feb-18 23:26:27

I think you would tell her on the grounds that it is longer for her to have to look forward to it and be excited!

HowDoIKeepSecret Wed 07-Feb-18 23:27:13

Pet I don't think so, surely they'd keep it a secret until her birthday and say "and we're all going too"

Oh god, I hope not. I was super excited to tell her and go with her

petbear Wed 07-Feb-18 23:32:09

Guess you may have to tell her, and she will tell her friends and then it will come out if they got a ticket for her too.

Who IS it by the way? Or would you rather not say?

HowDoIKeepSecret Wed 07-Feb-18 23:45:44

pet Madness

timeisnotaline Wed 07-Feb-18 23:48:33

I’d tell her.

SleepIsForTheWeek Wed 07-Feb-18 23:54:20

Oh how mean not inviting her - of course tell her, she'll be feeling rejected right now and this will make her so happy. Lovely of you to do this for her as a surprise, but this will be even better.

ReanimatedSGB Wed 07-Feb-18 23:56:02

Definitely tell her. 'Surprise' gifts can be lovely but a lot of people fuck them up by allowing - or even planning for - the recipient to be sad and disappointed before the surprise is revealed (the traditional 'surprise party' when the person is led to believe that everyone's forgotten and no one cares is actually very manipulative, controlling and unkind.)

My DB and I arranged a party for our parents' 40th wedding anniversary but we planned it very carefully so that they knew they were having a 'surprise evening out' and it was something nice - my mum would never, ever have forgiven me if I hadn't let her know that she should dress up a bit for her treat...

HolyShet Thu 08-Feb-18 00:03:04

Tell her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now